August 7, 2019, 11:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,070
Gold Stars: 518
Quoted from mimma

Is that as high as you want to go?
We need investment in our training facilities as well as a new ground. Our core support does not cover these as well as buying and paying better players.
There are more better funded clubs in the conference waiting to come up which with their money will push us further down the league pyramid  
For all his faults Fenty has put in what he can afford, but he doesn't have the personal wealth to put in what we need and can't find someone to take us further. We just aren't attractive enough to potential investors. Our only hope is for a local self made millionaire to take over and invest some of their fortune in Town. That doesn't look likely so we are left where we are.

Of course I want us to go higher. In the next few sentences I say how I would like to see us grow as a club, bit by bit with reinvestment from success.  

If the likes of Salford, Fylde etc. come up and surpass us then so be it.  Their bubble will burst.  I would rather we became a sustainable yet progressive club with small improvements made year on year rather than a flash in the pan who chucks money at it only to crash and burn within a few years.  We can look down the A180 to Scunny as a club who have relied on a rich benefactor, sailed too close to the sun and had their wings burnt and we can look down the A46 to Lincoln who have reinvested their success into the club itself and are reaping the benefits.  I know which model I would rather us follow.

The idea that we need a minted owner who is stupid enough to throw money at it carries no weight with me.  It's the last thing I want in all honesty.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 97
MuddyWaters
August 7, 2019, 12:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,882
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from diehardmariner

Of course I want us to go higher. In the next few sentences I say how I would like to see us grow as a club, bit by bit with reinvestment from success.  

If the likes of Salford, Fylde etc. come up and surpass us then so be it.  Their bubble will burst.  I would rather we became a sustainable yet progressive club with small improvements made year on year rather than a flash in the pan who chucks money at it only to crash and burn within a few years.  We can look down the A180 to Scunny as a club who have relied on a rich benefactor, sailed too close to the sun and had their wings burnt and we can look down the A46 to Lincoln who have reinvested their success into the club itself and are reaping the benefits.  I know which model I would rather us follow.

The idea that we need a minted owner who is stupid enough to throw money at it carries no weight with me.  It's the last thing I want in all honesty.

Ah yes, Lincoln City - they must have heeded that advice Mr Fenty gave them!
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 97
lukeo
August 8, 2019, 10:32am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

I obviously don't speak for everyone, but surely we don't want a money man throwing money at the club recklessly, we want someone with a long term vision, to grow the club across Lincolnshire, and with growth will come extra revenue sources, which in term leads to a better youth program, which leads to more sales of players.  Someone like Andy Holt at Accrington Stanley, who is slowly but surely building a community club, yes he has thrown some of his own money at the club, but he never wants it back, but the way he is going about business is marvelous.  So as long as the can pay JF off and get him out of the club and have a little reserve, then i'm happy.  

We don't need money, as we are making are making £200k profit a year and have balance books, we need vision more.

I say this way to often lately but Andy is the ideal chairman of a football club. I am only on twitter to read what he does/says.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 97
TheRealJohnLewis
August 8, 2019, 12:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from lukeo

I say this way to often lately but Andy is the ideal chairman of a football club. I am only on twitter to read what he does/says.

I follow him as well, This is the latest thread on twitter which sums up how GTFC need to move forward:

Quoted from Andy Holt on Twitter
You know running a football club like @ASFCofficial has been one of the most challenging jobs I’ve ever done.

I go through massive periods of self doubt, how should I run it? What issues are important? what is the end goal? how do we get there? why is that the end goal? what matters? what core values are we trying to live by? is my paradigm of football correct? why am I the only man in the regiment that is in step? am I going about it all wrong? what if I fail? is football right for me? am I right for football? am I right for Accrington Stanley?

On an on, more and questions.

So. We are formed as people by our past experiences and lessons learned whilst a child but is this right for @ASFCofficial? are my personal values, formed over 50 odd years holding our club back? Studying all the above I believe I’m right, which is why we operate as we do. And by right, I mean steady sustainable growth, managed budget, security of long term health of the club, integrated with all local stakeholders with community, supporters, council and even the chip shop, pubs, town centre benefitting.

Believe me I have tried all ways to run businesses and failed a few times. I know the routes to failure because I’ve travelled them.

Let’s look at the options.

If I put £3m in to @ASFCofficial to bring our budget more in line and competitive with other clubs, many of which are gambling, what are the odds of promotion? What are the reduced odds of relegation? If we are promoted, what amount is needed then to compete? An extra £10m? £20m? In @SkyBetChamp rich clubs are selling their stadia for £80m to compete within the rules.  @WayneRooney is coming back to the UK paid for by bookies to play IN THE LEAGUE ABOVE ACCRINGTON STANLEY.  If I put £10m or £20m in what are the chances of success? In my view, I’d be spending £25m (that I don’t have) on a fools mission. So that option is out. The other option of sustainable slow growth is our only option. To build a great, the best, community club.  Run in the way our supporters want. A great, the best, day out a club we can be proud of.

But those running football are diametrically oppose to my thinking. I don’t fit, which is why there are permanent issues. @premierleague @EFL @FA  organisations are set up deliberately to conflict with steady, well managed secure clubs. I accept I may be wrong, but I can’t bring myself to risk our club.

I’m drunk off at the players we’re chasing going to other clubs. It’s very difficult not to pay the extra to get your man. This window has been Coley’s worst. He’s struggled to compete.  I asked him what he thinks we should do his response is, keep going, we’re building a great club for the town. Jimmy said, ‘do not let us ruin what we’re creating together’ ‘That’s your job Andy’ ‘Our job is to do the best we possibly can with what we’ve got’ And you know what? That’s what we will continue to do under my stewardship. A change in the way we work would need a different owner. It might be more exciting for a while gambling, but when the music stops, everyone pays the price.

So how does that relate to GTFC, yes we have had balanced books and have spent within our means thanks to JF, but that's it we haven't grown or progressed just stagnated. We haven't "integrated with all local stakeholders with community, supporters, council and even the chip shop, pubs, town centre benefitting" JF has alienated key stakeholders at the club, Press, fans, Police, Mighty Mariner (for a while) etc.

We need better.

Private Message
Reply: 93 - 97
KingstonMariner
August 8, 2019, 3:32pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

I follow him as well, This is the latest thread on twitter which sums up how GTFC need to move forward:

So how does that relate to GTFC, yes we have had balanced books and have spent within our means thanks to JF, but that's it we haven't grown or progressed just stagnated. We haven't "integrated with all local stakeholders with community, supporters, council and even the chip shop, pubs, town centre benefitting" JF has alienated key stakeholders at the club, Press, fans, Police, Mighty Mariner (for a while) etc.

We need better.

The first part is the clue. Holt has doubts and questions what he does. He’s had failures, which he acknowledges and learns from. Doubt is healthy.

Can you imagine our esteemed leader questioning his own judgement?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 97
jock dock tower
August 8, 2019, 4:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Errrr.....no.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 97
AussieMariner
August 8, 2019, 7:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from KingstonMariner

The first part is the clue. Holt has doubts and questions what he does. He’s had failures, which he acknowledges and learns from. Doubt is healthy.

Can you imagine our esteemed leader questioning his own judgement?

Humility and intelligence? Hmmm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 97
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 8, 2019, 10:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
It's strange how many people you can talk to and 'not before he's gone' is the answer to the going to games scenario.

And, from what am led to believe, there's a certain toxicity around the club that prevents players etc from signing.

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › John Fenty interview today

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.