MuddyWaters
August 5, 2019, 6:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from pen penfras

No, but a bad run of games and the gate receipts will quickly drop. It's a fine balancing act getting the budget high enough to be competitive but not so high that you risk losing a fortune if things don't go well on the pitch. It's not a position I'd like to be in!

As far as I understand it, the EFL require somebody to underwrite the club's accounts in the case of something going wrong and have to demonstrate they have the required funding to do this. It's not a case that we necessarily need the money, but it needs to be done.

As for the comment about Macca, it seems a strange thing to say and I didn't hear the interview, but maybe there's an element of respect in what he said as a tough negotiator and somebody bartered with him?

Reading between the lines then, JF puts a £200k shortfall fund in place and draws it back if we don’t need it?
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 97
pen penfras
August 5, 2019, 6:06pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Reading between the lines then, JF puts a £200k shortfall fund in place and draws it back if we don’t need it?

I'm not sure how it works, but he guarantees the overdraft to the banks, which I believe is quite a bit more than £200k. I don't understand how clubs get in so much more mess like Bury did, but they clearly aren't following the rules.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 97
Ipswin
August 5, 2019, 6:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So we are, potentially, even more (and still) indebted to John Fenty?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 97
Rik e B
August 5, 2019, 6:17pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Hmmm, don't the accounts for last few years show Fenty has only withdrawn money and not put anything in? 🤔
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 97
rancido
August 5, 2019, 7:15pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Rik e B
Hmmm, don't the accounts for last few years show Fenty has only withdrawn money and not put anything in? 🤔

To cover the amount he has put in due to loans, most of which were to keep the club going .

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 97
Ipswin
August 5, 2019, 7:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rik e B

Yes I believe so (but then the less he's owed the less any potential buyer has to pay him) but now Golfer suggests he stands as guarantor (again) for a further £200K

Private Message
Reply: 65 - 97
rancido
August 5, 2019, 8:01pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Ipswin

Yes I believe so (but then the less he's owed the less any potential buyer has to pay him) but now Golfer suggests he stands as guarantor (again) for a further £200K

I may be wrong but doesn't the club have to have a guarantor to satisfy the bank overdraft? I'm not from a financial/ commercial background so I have no understanding how these things work.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 97
Ipswin
August 5, 2019, 8:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

I may be wrong but doesn't the club have to have a guarantor to satisfy the bank overdraft? I'm not from a financial/ commercial background so I have no understanding how these things work.

I always thought Fenty was our guarantor

Private Message
Reply: 67 - 97
Bigdog
August 5, 2019, 8:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from rancido

I'm fairly sure the club's bank account is in credit by a few hundred thou (balance of Bogle money), so last reports stated that currently there wasn't any need for a guarantor as there wasn't an overdraft..

700k in credit this time last year..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 97
pen penfras
August 5, 2019, 8:29pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Bigdog

I'm fairly sure the club's bank account is in credit by a few hundred thou (balance of Bogle money), so last reports stated that currently there wasn't any need for a guarantor as there wasn't an overdraft..

You need a guarantor to have the option of an overdraft, it doesn't mean we use it. Obviously we don't right now, but if there wasn't somebody to be that guarantor and our balance went to zero, then bills stop getting paid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › John Fenty interview today

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.