Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bury, Bolton... what next?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 146 Guests

Bury, Bolton... what next?

This thread currently has 6,285 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
ex-merseymariner
August 3, 2019, 8:03am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
So the season is starting: bury's future is unclear, first two games postponed, bolton travelling with 3 senior players for their first game, also in chaos.

I've not followed either situation in depth but surely this uncertain position impacts the whole league.

Are there 70 71 or 72 teams in the efl this season?!!?!?

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Bigdog
August 3, 2019, 9:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Until the powers that be re-address the inequity in TV income between the Premier League and the EFL then nothing will change. The temptation of riches in the Premier League is far too great for owners in the Championship. Parachute payments of 60m for clubs dropping out of the Premier League make it worse rather than insisting that every player who plays in the Premier League has a relegation clause written into their contract. How are teams in the Championship able to compete with Fulham, Cardiff and Huddersfield if they only receive 6m? And how come the authorities have let Derby and Villa get around FFP by allowing them to sell their stadia to their owners giving them an unfair advantage resulting in Villa being promoted? Clubs and businesses fail from time to time, it's a fact of life, but the administration of the game of football in this country is frankly rank pandering to the big boys who already have more than enough and smacks of jobs for the boys at the highest level. The cost of an average Premier League left back would set a club like ours up for another hundred years yet we play in the same competition, the FA Cup, and as the rules stand at the minute, those clubs that receive 2/3/400m a year in TV rights etc can pick up any one of our rising stars for a pittance. How can that be?

The EFL are getting steamrollered by the Premier League and I can't see that changing until there's a European Super League. And club's like us? We teeter on the edge however well our books are balanced. Only a year ago we were a defeat or two away from being in extremely difficult circumstances ourselves and most probably a huge downward spiral if we dropped into the Conference again. We'll have to wait until someone can deliver a new stadium so we can operate sustainably on 8k home gates not 4..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 28
Helgy
August 3, 2019, 11:05am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
The clubs that drop out of the Prem don't hardly ever spend their money wisely ,look at Sunderland £35 million wasted two years in a row this season they drop to £16 prem parachute payment plus L1 monies £1.5 million.

They have lost £19 million in income this season  ,next season they go up get £9 million in the champion ship still lose millions in income  ,stay in L1 only get the £1.5 million.

If they get promoted then they will have increased wages bonuses to pay out think they are in danger of going.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
Les Brechin
August 3, 2019, 11:18am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,689
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Helgy
The clubs that drop out of the Prem don't hardly ever spend their money wisely ,look at Sunderland £35 million wasted two years in a row this season they drop to £16 prem parachute payment plus L1 monies £1.5 million.

They ain't gonna do much with £16!  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
lukeo
August 4, 2019, 6:29am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,298
Gold Stars: 134
Stanley's chairman wrote something on twitter not that long ago explaining reasons why being promoted isn't all 100% amazing roosey and positive and gave out roughly the same figures as above and explained in detail why and what has happened to other clubs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
SteffiMariner
August 4, 2019, 8:28am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
The sooner the EFL kick Bury out the league, the better for everyone. Whilst I feel for the fans, if Bury was an animal it would have been put down by now. The same goes for Bolton, it's an absolute farce that they owe over £100M yet are able to field kids just to fulfil the fixture. Kick them both out, send a proper message out to those clubs that continuosly abuse the financial rules that it wont be tolerated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
1mickylyons
August 4, 2019, 9:31am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Yep it`s time for tough love.This of course means as usual it`s the fans that suffer but a line needs drawing in the sand and the list of Clubs with problems is growing because of this turning a blind eye. The figures I heard for Scunny given there average gate of the past 10-15 years the most successful in the Clubs history and the player sales they have had are astounding . No way it should be allowed and in the event they had another relegation I genuinely fear they would never return. Now like most Town I loathe and despise the scunts but I still would not want them gone but clearly they are being run badly in terms of finance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 28
Swansea_Mariner
August 4, 2019, 9:32am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,431
Gold Stars: 63
Absolutely agree with Steffi it's a complete farse fielding teams of kids and makes a mockery of the season. Bury well they cheated their way to league one so I've no sympathy at all for their situation they should have signed players they could have afforded last close season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
1mickylyons
August 4, 2019, 9:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Absolutely agree with Steffi it's a complete farse fielding teams of kids and makes a mockery of the season. Bury well they cheated their way to league one so I've no sympathy at all for their situation they should have signed players they could have afforded last close season.

These are Clubs with rich histories and in Bolton`s case a fairly large fanbase which suggests they will come again but it`s just not that easy especially a Club with Bury`s support.When you see Coventry once again having to grounshare because of despot owners so they must surely lose money over this Season how long will it take them to recover? Further down to non league and the list of ex football league clubs struggling is frightening especially in the case of teams like Darlo and York who have dropped further down
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 28
Meza
August 4, 2019, 10:36am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from 1mickylyons

These are Clubs with rich histories and in Bolton`s case a fairly large fanbase which suggests they will come again but it`s just not that easy especially a Club with Bury`s support.When you see Coventry once again having to grounshare because of despot owners so they must surely lose money over this Season how long will it take them to recover? Further down to non league and the list of ex football league clubs struggling is frightening especially in the case of teams like Darlo and York who have dropped further down

I guess you have to look at how they have utilised the budget, not that well by the looks of it, then you start to get dwindled support making your budget smaller and for teams like Bury who push the boat out need to accept the consequences pure and simple.  In Darlo's case it was the stadium that did them over or atleast contributed..

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
Les Brechin
August 8, 2019, 4:09pm

Bury now given a 14 day deadline by the EFL or face expulsion from the league following their 3rd game being called off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49280328

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
gtfckyle
August 8, 2019, 4:14pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +25
Quoted from Les Brechin
Bury now given a 14 day deadline by the EFL or face expulsion from the league following their 3rd game being called off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49280328

Then what happens, does an extra team come up from league 2 come the end of the season or do they remove a relegation spot from League 1?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 8, 2019, 4:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,599
Gold Stars: 64
Normally the latter I believe certainly was in 1967 when town were relegated by something ridiculous like 0.08 of a goal with Mansfield who came fourth to bottom staying up and  Peterborough relegated for financial irregularities (no change there!!).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
jock dock tower
August 8, 2019, 4:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Five will come up from our division should Bury go.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
FishOutOfWater
August 8, 2019, 5:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from jock dock tower
Five will come up from our division should Bury go.

Are you sure about that Jock?

Wouldn't they just relegate the bottom three ( with Bury being the fourth team not being in League 1 next season ) then that'd mean only four up still

I can't imagine anyone finishing in 20th place being too happy about being relegated?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 28
Fishy clapper
August 8, 2019, 5:34pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +78
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Wouldn't they just relegate the bottom three ( with Bury being the fourth team not being in League 1 next season ) then that'd mean only four up still

I can't imagine anyone finishing in 20th place being too happy about being relegated?

4 up but only 3 down from league 1?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
FishOutOfWater
August 8, 2019, 5:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Fishy clapper

4 up but only 3 down from league 1?

That's my feeling

I can't imagine they'd lose Bury and then have four other teams relegated additionally, which is what Jock thinks could happen ( if five teams were to be promoted like he suggests )
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 28
promotion plaice
August 8, 2019, 5:37pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,999
Gold Stars: 192
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

As much as I would like five from our division to go up, this is the fairest way to do it in my opinion should it happen.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
Les Brechin
August 8, 2019, 5:44pm

I was told a week or so back that there would be 5 promoted from League 2 next season if they were expelled but surely that won't be the case as the that would mean the team finishing 20th would be relegated which is totally wrong.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
buckstown
August 8, 2019, 6:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,172
Gold Stars: 79
They already announced that in the event of Bury going under, league one would be played as a 23 team league, and 5 would go up from league 2 this season.
Assume that means 3 up from the conference as well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
FishOutOfWater
August 8, 2019, 6:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from buckstown
They already announced that in the event of Bury going under, league one would be played as a 23 team league, and 5 would go up from league 2 this season.
Assume that means 3 up from the conference as well

That could lead to all sorts of legal wrangles from the club that finishes in 20th place... could you imagine if that were us and we were clear of the other teams by some distance yet still got sent down

If that's the way the league are going to play it though, if we don't get an automatic promotion, a top 8 finish could see us go up ( via the play offs )
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 28
moosey_club
August 8, 2019, 7:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,179
Gold Stars: 224
promotion/ relegation conundrums...unlikely anyway IMO as i doubt the EFL will actually be man enough to kick them out.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 28
Swansea_Mariner
August 8, 2019, 7:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,431
Gold Stars: 63
Looks like Bolton's sale has been stopped.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 28
GollyGTFC
August 8, 2019, 7:19pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
I would challenge anyone to find an EFL statement that indicates that 4 will be relegated from League One even in Bury are expelled because if you google it this thread is very high on the search results.

As someone else said, it would be totally wrong that the team finishing 20th in League One would be relegated. The season has started and teams placed 21-24 go down. You can't change that once the season has started.

In the unlikely occurance that both Bury & Bolton are expelled from the EFL it might be an opportunity to reduce the Championship to 22 teams. Would make sense as the Championship don't play on any of the international weekends (Sep, Oct, Nov & Mar) which means they play 4 more midweeks fixtures than L1 & L2.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 28
Abdul19
August 8, 2019, 9:47pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,496
Gold Stars: 215
If it makes sense then I suspect the chances of the (E)FL doing it are slim.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 28
FishOutOfWater
August 9, 2019, 1:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I would challenge anyone to find an EFL statement that indicates that 4 will be relegated from League One even in Bury are expelled because if you google it this thread is very high on the search results.

As someone else said, it would be totally wrong that the team finishing 20th in League One would be relegated. The season has started and teams placed 21-24 go down. You can't change that once the season has started.

In the unlikely occurance that both Bury & Bolton are expelled from the EFL it might be an opportunity to reduce the Championship to 22 teams. Would make sense as the Championship don't play on any of the international weekends (Sep, Oct, Nov & Mar) which means they play 4 more midweeks fixtures than L1 & L2.

That would open up another can of worms though.... especially given the financial disparity between the Championship and League 1

As you rightly say the season has started so how could the FL say to two Championship sides, sorry you're now going to have to play League 1 from next season ( if they weren't actually in the relegation positions in May that is)

They certainly have their work cut out trying to keep their house in order... and given their track record, once they start digging that hole, it will probably just end up being bigger and bigger
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 25 - 28
Gaffer58
August 9, 2019, 1:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,084
Gold Stars: 31
Cannot see many championships teams wanting to play 1/2 less home games, to someone like Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday and Derby each home game must be worth at least half a million in revenue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 28
GollyGTFC
August 9, 2019, 9:05pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Gaffer58
Cannot see many championships teams wanting to play 1/2 less home games, to someone like Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday and Derby each home game must be worth at least half a million in revenue.

It was only a couple of years ago that the EFL suggested reorganising to a 20-20-20-20 set-up for that exact reason.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 28
KingstonMariner
August 9, 2019, 9:19pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from GollyGTFC

It was only a couple of years ago that the EFL suggested reorganising to a 20-20-20-20 set-up for that exact reason.

And it was rejected by the Championship clubs if I remember right.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bury, Bolton... what next?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.