This thread currently has 5,446 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Dopleganger
August 2, 2019, 12:34pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -179
Ok so I'll put it out there and then you can kick me off here, put as many red crosses as you like and call me whatever you want. But I know I'm not the only one who is thinking this.

Why have we extended Maccas contract? He's a great shot stopper of that there is no doubt. But he can't control his area, can't catch a ball, can't organise his defence, blames everyone else and is generally pretty average at best as a goalkeeper.

2 season's on the trot we missed out on promotion because of his mistakes between the posts.

We have proven at this club that there are younger and better keepers out there. Dean Henderson springs to mind. Before you all start with, but we couldn't afford him or his wages, I wasn't saying we could have him, just he's better. And there are more like him that we can afford.

Maybe it's just the club can't be bothered and are taking the cheap option.

I've moaned and groaned about Macca since season 1 of him being here.

I will reiterate, he is probably one of the best shot stoppers in the league, but the rest of his goalkeeping is nothing more than average at best.

So now I've spoken my mind ( and I know others agree ) let the onslaught begin.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Tradjazz
August 2, 2019, 12:39pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: -38
Agree with you. I've thought all along the same as you.
He's just like Dracula, cannot handle crosses and stays on his line too often.
He is what we can afford at the moment so will have to hope his shot stopping continues.
UTM

Thank you Mr Corbyn (Steptoe), you are the best thing that has happened to the Conservatives for ages.
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 39
marinerdazza
August 2, 2019, 12:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,780
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Tradjazz
Agree with you. I've thought all along the same as you.
He's just like Dracula, cannot handle crosses and stays on his line too often.
He is what we can afford at the moment so will have to hope his shot stopping continues.
UTM

Dracula stays on his line?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 39
marinerdazza
August 2, 2019, 12:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,780
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Dopleganger

18 posts. Do something constructive with your next 18.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 39
promotion plaice
August 2, 2019, 12:42pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

Don't feed the troll.....end of thread

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 39
lukeo
August 2, 2019, 12:46pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,352
Gold Stars: 142
Quoted from promotion plaice

Don't feed the troll.....end of thread

This.

End of thread.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 39
Northbank Mariner
August 2, 2019, 12:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Absolutely, MODS, kill this thread now..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 39
August 2, 2019, 12:53pm
Guest User
Why 'End of thread'?  People are entitled to their opinions, and I and others agree with him.  Macca IS vulnerable in controlling his area, there is no doubt about that, a good GK is a good shot stopper, great at controlling his area and a great communicator with his defenders.
Reply: 7 - 39
Malta_Mariner_90
August 2, 2019, 12:57pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from Dopleganger
Ok so I'll put it out there and then you can kick me off here, put as many red crosses as you like and call me whatever you want. But I know I'm not the only one who is thinking this.

Why have we extended Maccas contract? He's a great shot stopper of that there is no doubt. But he can't control his area, can't catch a ball, can't organise his defence, blames everyone else and is generally pretty average at best as a goalkeeper.

2 season's on the trot we missed out on promotion because of his mistakes between the posts.

We have proven at this club that there are younger and better keepers out there. Dean Henderson springs to mind. Before you all start with, but we couldn't afford him or his wages, I wasn't saying we could have him, just he's better. And there are more like him that we can afford.

I will reiterate, he is probably one of the best shot stoppers in the league, but the rest of his goalkeeping is nothing more than average at best.

Even though the majority will disagree with you (myself included) I do think some of the points you raise (badly!) are valid for example (in my humble opinion) he has not improved his overall game as much as he could have. Seeing Dean Henderson come in and start claiming crosses so easily at the age of 19 was an eye opener, but is probably more to do with Henderson's talent than anything.  

On balance McKeown is probably as good a keeper as we can get at this level, through watching every game on ifollow since it was introduced I have not seen many better keepers.

He is not perfect (he says so himself in several interviews he has given), and has maybe not improved on some of his weaknesses quite as much as he could have (crosses being the main issue for me) but for a GK he is now entering his peak years (29-33) and I personally expect him to have an excellent season for his standards.

Yes he will drop the odd clanger but what keeper doesn't. He is one of the chief reasons we were not relegated in 2018. That performance at home to Port Vale still brings a smile to my face.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 39
Mariner Timsky
August 2, 2019, 1:07pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
No need to End Thread just DELETE it please

What absolute utter garbage

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 39
grimsby pete
August 2, 2019, 1:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
I did not realise Macca has cost us promotion for the last 2 seasons, what ?????????????

He would be playing in the championship if he had the all round game but we are L2 and he is fairly good at this level and more than likely L1  as well if we can get there soon.

When we reach the championship we might need to play someone else in goal until then he will do for me.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 39
psgmariner
August 2, 2019, 1:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
The timing is a bit off but McKeown is not immune from criticism. I like him and he makes some amazing saves but he does have his weaknesses.

Private Message
Reply: 11 - 39
lukeo
August 2, 2019, 1:25pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,352
Gold Stars: 142
OK fair enough..
End of thread
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 39
LH
August 2, 2019, 1:28pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,459
Gold Stars: 172
He’s most likely had an extension as part of an improved terms deal which better reflects his new role as club captain. If he wanted to get an extra year as part of it fair enough -  he’s about two thirds through a very short career and he’s got to take those chances while he can.

The thread won’t be getting deleted as it’s not breached any rules.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 39
headingly_mariner
August 2, 2019, 1:29pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Any keeper at this level will have weaknesses. He’s an excellent keeper at this level and could comfortably play in the division above. You don’t realise how valuable a steady keeper is until you can’t get one. He’s very consistent and not often injured. He’s also committed to the area.

The only time he’s lost his place was to someone who will end up being a full England international.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 39
Abdul19
August 2, 2019, 1:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
I'm guessing he means 2 of the conference seasons. Which is still nonsense, of course.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 39
Grantley
August 2, 2019, 1:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
I assume he means cost us promotion in 2014 and one of the other seasons, which is complete twaddle obviously.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 39
Malta_Mariner_90
August 2, 2019, 2:13pm
Snakebite drinker
What cost us against Gateshead in that semi final was Sam Hatton getting sent off after we had equalized and had Nielson sent off unfairly already.

I am convinced he got sent off on purpose because it was such a stupid thing to do when you are already down to 10 men.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 39
August 2, 2019, 2:17pm
Guest User
Quoted from Dopleganger

2 season's on the trot we missed out on promotion

because of his mistakes between the posts.

Dude: have you been on an all day bender in Dapperz??!!

We are League 2 and Macca has been nothing short of outstanding!! Exeter away, Palace away!!

More than happy with this!! Also, Macca has improved even more with Sam Russell as Goalkeeping coach.

I fear that you are fairly isolated with this opinion!!

Reply: 18 - 39
August 2, 2019, 3:09pm
Guest User
Quoted from 1542

Dude: have you been on an all day bender in Dapperz??!!

We are League 2 and Macca has been nothing short of outstanding!! Exeter away, Palace away!!

More than happy with this!! Also, Macca has improved even more with Sam Russell as Goalkeeping coach.

I fear that you are fairly isolated with this opinion!!

I think if you read all the posts in this thread that you will find that he isn't!

Reply: 19 - 39
Kris2
August 2, 2019, 3:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Well yes every player has strengths and weaknesses....What's your point exactly?  

People seem to still have delusions of grandeur about the club at times and act like we can bring in some super talented players long term. Talent doesn't stay unheard of for long and if a keeper is really that well rounded they'll soon move up the leagues. We could maybe find a wonderkid on loan at 18-19 years old but how is that a permanent solution to anything?

We have to be realistic about who we can bring into the club and focus on being a good L2 team. Talented youngsters on loan can help but we need a nucleus of players who add different strengths long term. McKeown is still one of the better keepers in the division and has kept us in games probably far more than mistakes have cost us games. He's also been loyal to the club, having been here since 2011,likes living in the area and has turned down offers from other clubs to stay here. A lot of fans like loyal players who say good things about the area and having that consistency in goal is good for the team because he already has played other teams in the division and knows how the manager wants to play.

.....This is a somewhat sensible post from me. I suppose it was due.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 39
RichMariner
August 2, 2019, 3:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,133
Gold Stars: 209
Jesus Christ. What do some fans want?!

We are not going to get perfection in the fourth division of English football.

I totally accept that he isn't without fault, and people are free to express their opinions however they want, but, on balance, I think the criticism is unfair. Sounds like some of our fans want totally flawless players.

You could criticise each and every player in our squad right now for something or other. They're not machines. But what they are is human, and I'd say the majority of them are doing their best.

We're not all born with the ability to be superstars. Sometimes, your absolute best has limits. All I want is for our players to give their best and, in McKeown, I see that.

Totally deserved contract extension. Excellent fourth division goalkeeper, top bloke. I'd be delighted if he saw out his career with us.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 21 - 39
livosnose
August 2, 2019, 3:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,159
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90
What cost is against Gateshead in that semi final was Sam Hatton getting sent off after we had equalized and had Nielson sent off unfairly already.

I am convinced he got sent off on purpose because it was such a stupid thing to do when you are already down to 10 men.  

Bollards

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 39
HertsGTFC
August 2, 2019, 3:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Macca is a really good 4th Division keeper, a senior pro in a squad where the average age feels like it's getting lower and has stuck with Town when he could have moved for more money, why shouldn't he be rewarded?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 39
August 2, 2019, 5:16pm
Guest User
Quoted from Kris2
Well yes every player has strengths and weaknesses....What's your point exactly?  

People seem to still have delusions of grandeur about the club at times and act like we can bring in some super talented players long term. Talent doesn't stay unheard of for long and if a keeper is really that well rounded they'll soon move up the leagues. We could maybe find a wonderkid on loan at 18-19 years old but how is that a permanent solution to anything?

We have to be realistic about who we can bring into the club and focus on being a good L2 team. Talented youngsters on loan can help but we need a nucleus of players who add different strengths long term. McKeown is still one of the better keepers in the division and has kept us in games probably far more than mistakes have cost us games. He's also been loyal to the club, having been here since 2011,likes living in the area and has turned down offers from other clubs to stay here. A lot of fans like loyal players who say good things about the area and having that consistency in goal is good for the team because he already has played other teams in the division and knows how the manager wants to play.

.....This is a somewhat sensible post from me. I suppose it was due.

I guess you forgot when he spat his dummy out after being dropped on return from injury and put in a transfer request.

Reply: 24 - 39
Ipswin
August 2, 2019, 5:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I think McKeown is probably about average for Div 4 and as good as we are likely to get.

It's totally unfair to compare him to Henderson, there can be no comparison. The one I would probably compare him to is Mildenhall and I would probably put him slightly below Mildenhall in general ability and of course Mildenhall played for us for longer at a higher level than McKeown not having had to suffer the Conference years

The last really class keeper we had ignoring loanees was Danny Coyne.

I think McKeown is likely to achieve legendary status because of his loyalty and length of time at the club rather than his ability. Despite endless rumours every season about clubs being after him it hasn't happened and I doubt it was ever anything more than a rumour. He's a run of the mill, dependable and mostly reliable 4th tier keeper.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 39
Meza
August 2, 2019, 6:25pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
I really don't know what to make of this thread.  I mean your having a pop at our 1st choice keeper who has been outstanding for us.  Why?? we haven't even kicked the season off and already a player is being criticised, just because he signed a contract extension FML.  Everyone has weaknesses, I actually think Macca has improved. For me I'm over the moon Mr Grimsby has signed an extension as I rate him highly.  

I understand that fans will have their favourite players and those they dont like or rate, but i have to question why you are picking on JM our POTY or did I dream that.

Only 1 keeper comes close to JM in terms of ability (not including loans) is Danny Coyne, and yet even he didn't make the type of saves JM has done.  It's all about opinions, but your bringing up crap from years ago.  

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 39
Posh Harry
August 2, 2019, 6:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,344
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from 123614

I guess you forgot when he spat his dummy out after being dropped on return from injury and put in a transfer request.

8 years at the club in modern game is showing loyalty. One out of character spat and mistake in 8 years? I am sure you have never done such a thing like get cheesed off where you work and think about moving.

Macca showed significant loyalty last year by signing a new contract when he had the opportunity to go to SPL and put himself more in the shop window for the future and probably for more money. I know family was partly involved in his decision but why shouldn’t it be.

Imho he deserves the extension, I agree he needs to command his area more and is prone to the odd massive gaff, but what keeper isn’t. He is one of, if not the best shot stopper in the division. He has saved us a lot more points with motm match performances than he has cost us.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 39
Malta_Mariner_90
August 2, 2019, 6:56pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from livosnose

Bollards

I actually had a look on the highlights on the website and it was not as bad as I remembered. It drunk me off enormously at the time as even with ten men after Dizzas goal we looked the more likely.

Still a stupid challenge but the ref did not give him the benefit of the doubt. It was more missed timed than reckless and was a second yellow not a straight red as I thought!

But then after he sent Neilson off for nothing I guess Hatton never stood a chance.

out of interest just found this as well if anyone want to remissness about that playoff semi final first leg.  

[url]https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1shve7[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 39
Oly1987
August 2, 2019, 8:01pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Approval: +1,227
Gold Stars: 22
Macca will be going into his.... 9th? season with us and I believe deserves the extension. Not many players willing to stick around for that long at this level. He must be our longest serving player since...... Macca
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 39
Kris2
August 2, 2019, 10:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from 123614

Quite a bit more to that story apparently than just being upset about being dropped. I was pretty drunk off with him at the time but having heard some more things I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 39
Tommy
August 3, 2019, 7:38am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Kris2

Quite a bit more to that story apparently than just being upset about being dropped. I was pretty drunk off with him at the time but having heard some more things I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Care to elaborate Kris?

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 39
ex-merseymariner
August 3, 2019, 8:23am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Quoted from Ipswin
The one I would probably compare him to is Mildenhall and I would probably put him slightly below Mildenhall in general ability.

This.

I think that putting Henderson's spell aside, it's useful to compare Mckeown to other recent keepers.  Remember Colgan?  Williams?  Only.mildenhall compares to macca

Hurst n Scott.dont get enough credit for bringing in a keeper we'd never heard of who has become an invaluable loyal servant and now captain.  

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 39
Stadium
August 3, 2019, 8:53am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,929
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Kris2

Haha.
The old " heard some more things" routine.
Works everytime....

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 39
we will return
August 3, 2019, 9:10am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +19 / -1
Approval: +35
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

This.

I think that putting Henderson's spell aside, it's useful to compare Mckeown to other recent keepers.  Remember Colgan?  Williams?  Only.mildenhall compares to macca

Hurst n Scott.dont get enough credit for bringing in a keeper we'd never heard of who has become an invaluable loyal servant and now captain.  

Agree. In the last 15 years how many keepers have we had that were better than McKeown? Henderson, who is now in the Premier league, Mildenhall at a push... no one else really comes close.
I bet that the fans of most teams in our division would be delighted if they signed him, same probably applies to a good number of teams in the division above.

UTM!
The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2013!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 39
GtfcGarner
August 3, 2019, 9:57am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +31 / -13
Approval: +1,788
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from we will return

Agree. In the last 15 years how many keepers have we had that were better than McKeown? Henderson, who is now in the Premier league, Mildenhall at a push... no one else really comes close.
I bet that the fans of most teams in our division would be delighted if they signed him, same probably applies to a good number of teams in the division above.

Although not ours I believe he was on loan when we was in League 2 pre relegation
but another Henderson not Dean? Was one of the best I've seen at BP for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 39
ex-merseymariner
August 3, 2019, 10:14am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Wayne Henderson, ex villa, was good, but retired thru injury I believe

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 39
August 3, 2019, 10:23am
Guest User
Nigel Batch was good. Beasant the best keeper I've seen but only played a few games. McKeown up there with the best.Kicking is not the best and holds onto ball too long but I'm very happy he's staying. Bignott wanted him out as he was a big influence, not a bad one just that he was popular with the other players.
Reply: 37 - 39
Hagrid
August 3, 2019, 10:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
Wayne hendersons performance notts away when we won 2-0 was superb. But best performance i can remember from a town keeper was Phil Barnes at morecambe, we won 1-0 and he was beyond words. Think the telegraph gave him a 10/10
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 39
Swansea_Mariner
August 3, 2019, 10:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,430
Gold Stars: 63
Barnes was amazing that day, also that double save at Wembley was astonishing.

I'm  not sure  comparing loan keepers  really works as all keepers will make mistakes over the course of a season but during a short loan obviously those opportunities are limited (saying that even Henderson made mistakes against Stevenage).

Macca's one of my favourite players and for me appears one of the better keepers at this level.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 39
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › James McKeown

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.