This thread currently has 5,435 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Dopleganger
August 2, 2019, 12:34pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -179
Ok so I'll put it out there and then you can kick me off here, put as many red crosses as you like and call me whatever you want. But I know I'm not the only one who is thinking this.

Why have we extended Maccas contract? He's a great shot stopper of that there is no doubt. But he can't control his area, can't catch a ball, can't organise his defence, blames everyone else and is generally pretty average at best as a goalkeeper.

2 season's on the trot we missed out on promotion because of his mistakes between the posts.

We have proven at this club that there are younger and better keepers out there. Dean Henderson springs to mind. Before you all start with, but we couldn't afford him or his wages, I wasn't saying we could have him, just he's better. And there are more like him that we can afford.

Maybe it's just the club can't be bothered and are taking the cheap option.

I've moaned and groaned about Macca since season 1 of him being here.

I will reiterate, he is probably one of the best shot stoppers in the league, but the rest of his goalkeeping is nothing more than average at best.

So now I've spoken my mind ( and I know others agree ) let the onslaught begin.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Tradjazz
August 2, 2019, 12:39pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: -38
Agree with you. I've thought all along the same as you.
He's just like Dracula, cannot handle crosses and stays on his line too often.
He is what we can afford at the moment so will have to hope his shot stopping continues.
UTM

Thank you Mr Corbyn (Steptoe), you are the best thing that has happened to the Conservatives for ages.
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 39
marinerdazza
August 2, 2019, 12:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,769
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Tradjazz
Agree with you. I've thought all along the same as you.
He's just like Dracula, cannot handle crosses and stays on his line too often.
He is what we can afford at the moment so will have to hope his shot stopping continues.
UTM

Dracula stays on his line?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 39
marinerdazza
August 2, 2019, 12:42pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,769
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Dopleganger

18 posts. Do something constructive with your next 18.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 39
promotion plaice
August 2, 2019, 12:42pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,999
Gold Stars: 192

Don't feed the troll.....end of thread

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 39
lukeo
August 2, 2019, 12:46pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,298
Gold Stars: 134
Quoted from promotion plaice

Don't feed the troll.....end of thread

This.

End of thread.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 39
Northbank Mariner
August 2, 2019, 12:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,431
Gold Stars: 171
Absolutely, MODS, kill this thread now..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 39
August 2, 2019, 12:53pm
Guest User
Why 'End of thread'?  People are entitled to their opinions, and I and others agree with him.  Macca IS vulnerable in controlling his area, there is no doubt about that, a good GK is a good shot stopper, great at controlling his area and a great communicator with his defenders.
Reply: 7 - 39
Malta_Mariner_90
August 2, 2019, 12:57pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from Dopleganger
Ok so I'll put it out there and then you can kick me off here, put as many red crosses as you like and call me whatever you want. But I know I'm not the only one who is thinking this.

Why have we extended Maccas contract? He's a great shot stopper of that there is no doubt. But he can't control his area, can't catch a ball, can't organise his defence, blames everyone else and is generally pretty average at best as a goalkeeper.

2 season's on the trot we missed out on promotion because of his mistakes between the posts.

We have proven at this club that there are younger and better keepers out there. Dean Henderson springs to mind. Before you all start with, but we couldn't afford him or his wages, I wasn't saying we could have him, just he's better. And there are more like him that we can afford.

Maybe it's just the club can't be bothered and are taking the cheap option.

I will reiterate, he is probably one of the best shot stoppers in the league, but the rest of his goalkeeping is nothing more than average at best.

So now I've spoken my mind ( and I know others agree ) let the onslaught begin.

Even though the majority will disagree with you (myself included) I do think some of the points you raise (badly!) are valid for example (in my humble opinion) he has not improved his overall game as much as he could have. Seeing Dean Henderson come in and start claiming crosses so easily at the age of 19 was an eye opener, but is probably more to do with Henderson's talent than anything.  

On balance McKeown is probably as good a keeper as we can get at this level, through watching every game on ifollow since it was introduced I have not seen many better keepers.

He is not perfect (he says so himself in several interviews he has given), and has maybe not improved on some of his weaknesses quite as much as he could have (crosses being the main issue for me) but for a GK he is now entering his peak years (29-33) and I personally expect him to have an excellent season for his standards.

Yes he will drop the odd clanger but what keeper doesn't. He is one of the chief reasons we were not relegated in 2018. That performance at home to Port Vale still brings a smile to my face.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 39
Mariner Timsky
August 2, 2019, 1:07pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
No need to End Thread just DELETE it please

What absolute utter garbage

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 39
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › James McKeown

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.