Reply: 1 - 28
Northbank Mariner
August 2, 2019, 12:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Eh?..... thought he signed a new 3 year deal last summer, or did I miss something in one of my many drunken stupors...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
cjbill
August 2, 2019, 12:22pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +215
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Eh?..... thought he signed a new 3 year deal last summer, or did I miss something in one of my many drunken stupors...

He did but now it has been extended an extra year
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
lukeo
August 2, 2019, 12:33pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,294
Gold Stars: 134
I love this. Justt for the reason above. We gave him a 3 year deal only last year yet we've renewed it and extended for another year. Never known the club to do this and it just shows we're hopefully going in the right direction.. Fantastic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
Les Brechin
August 2, 2019, 1:27pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Having initially signed in 2011, this'll take him past his testimonial year and that'll be something richly deserved for his performances and service over the years.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
devs
August 2, 2019, 1:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
Great move
Legend IMO
Will be a great skipper
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 28
Rik e B
August 2, 2019, 2:07pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Good stuff, like this tieing people down policy since Jolley's arrival 👌🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
cannylad68
August 2, 2019, 2:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Why was it necessary to extend the contract with 2 years still to go?
Plenty of good goalkeepers always available.
Two strange decisions from MJ regarding McKeown.
Is it to divert the lack of new signings?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 28
Southwark Mariner
August 2, 2019, 2:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,545
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from cannylad68
Why was it necessary to extend the contract with 2 years still to go?
Plenty of good goalkeepers always available.
Two strange decisions from MJ regarding McKeown.
Is it to divert the lack of new signings?

One way of putting people off making a cheeky bid for him maybe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
Rik e B
August 2, 2019, 2:35pm

Whiskey Drinker
We rate and value him so we keep him tied down. If somebody really wants him they'd have to stump up more. Simples.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
cannylad68
August 2, 2019, 2:45pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
I won't hold my breath.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 2, 2019, 2:52pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I looks good and doesn't cost anything yet except a piece of paper. I think this and the captaincy are part of the same package.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
pen penfras
August 2, 2019, 5:12pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
I looks good and doesn't cost anything yet except a piece of paper. I think this and the captaincy are part of the same package.

If he's being paid more or has a signing on fee, then it does cost something...

Not sure if it's a good move or not. He's a legend, but if we're in league 1 and looking for promotion then he's probably not good enough. Big if.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 2, 2019, 5:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from pen penfras

If he's being paid more or has a signing on fee, then it does cost something...

Not sure if it's a good move or not. He's a legend, but if we're in league 1 and looking for promotion then he's probably not good enough. Big if.

Does a contract extension imply either of those? Strikes me this is a confidence building job. Nothing wrong in that as long as we don’t read anything more into it. Most unlikely anyone will come with a big offer for him now so this is a piece of paper for his peace of mind and the club does not need to fear him throwing another wobbler.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
toontown
August 2, 2019, 6:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,248
Gold Stars: 70
Everyone, even his critics, are praising his shot stepping ability, but he is a great 1 on 1 keeper too now, that has really improved.

As others have said, yes he has faults but that's what u get at lge 2 level. For me his last season was a cracker and he is around and about as good as it gets for permanent keepers in this division. His issues with claiming crosses is at least one we can ameliorate with good aerial ability in CD anyway. For me his main issue is actually not only quality of distribution  but especially speed of distribution. Still happy with the signing tho. Playing so many games And that kind of loyalty is exceptionally rare in this day and age.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
Northbank Mariner
August 2, 2019, 7:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from toontown
Everyone, even his critics, are praising his shot stepping ability, but he is a great 1 on 1 keeper too now, that has really improved.

As others have said, yes he has faults but that's what u get at lge 2 level. For me his last season was a cracker and he is around and about as good as it gets for permanent keepers in this division. His issues with claiming crosses is at least one we can ameliorate with good aerial ability in CD anyway. For me his main issue is actually not only quality of distribution  but especially speed of distribution. Still happy with the signing tho. Playing so many games And that kind of loyalty is exceptionally rare in this day and age.

Said this time and time again.. absolutely think JM is one of the best shot stoppers and 1on1 keepers we've had and I, for one, am realky happy we've got him contracted for 3 years ... certainly one of the most consistent performers in our team and one of, if not the, best keepers in league 2...
If he had quicker and more accurate distribution he'd have been player at championship level before now...all imo anyways..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 28
Meza
August 2, 2019, 7:37pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Said this time and time again.. absolutely think JM is one of the best shot stoppers and 1on1 keepers we've had and I, for one, am realky happy we've got him contracted for 3 years ... certainly one of the most consistent performers in our team and one of, if not the, best keepers in league 2...
If he had quicker and more accurate distribution he'd have been player at championship level before now...all imo anyways..

I agree Northbank Mariner.  I guess you can justify criticising a player when they have performed poorly and not just the odd game (not something I do, ok maybe the odd time), but I don't think its fair to criticise a player when they have performed consistently like JM, especially when the team was inconsistent.   It wouldn't surprise me if there is a bit of strategy as to why MJ has given him an extra year (maybe more wages increases player value?) and that it keeps PH away  

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
lukeo
August 2, 2019, 7:54pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,294
Gold Stars: 134
Or maybe a club approached us and was willing to offer him 3 years and our club have been proactive aand said here JM how about you stay where you're loved and have an extra year and few quid
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
jamesgtfc
August 2, 2019, 8:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
Looking at some of our signings, I doubt they have come cheap and Macca deserves parity.

If he could distribute and claim crosses like Ederson or Pickford then he wouldn't be in League 2.  He's an excellent stopper and I would argue we only survived last season because of his world class saves; Exeter away being the prime example.

Henderson came in and it was clear to see he was an exceptional talent. We are not privy to what was said to Macca by Bignot so we can't hold it against him.

Sometimes you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone. For every McKeown, Coyne or Mildenhall there is Antony Williams, Nick Colgan, Tommy Forecast.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
MeanwoodMariner
August 2, 2019, 10:43pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Jolley mentioned after the Clee Town game that he was working on keeping our best players. I suspect some clubs came sniffing for Macca again. He was great last year - up his money a bit, tie him down for another year, everyone wins.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 28
rancido
August 3, 2019, 12:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
I'll get shot down for this but we will need a better keeper when we get to League 1. His command of the box is still too weak in my eyes and no amount of good defenders in the air can cover that.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 28
Rik e B
August 3, 2019, 3:12pm

Whiskey Drinker
When, when's that?   but you entitled to your opinion 👍
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 28
Southwark Mariner
August 14, 2019, 10:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,545
Gold Stars: 82
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 28
Ipswin
August 14, 2019, 10:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from rancido
I'll get shot down for this but we will need a better keeper when we get to League 1. His command of the box is still too weak in my eyes and no amount of good defenders in the air can cover that.

By the time we get to Div 1 McKeown will be an 'Ancient Mariner' sitting in the main stand with a nice warm blanket around his legs, shaking his walking stick at the referee and sucking Werthers with his carer fetching him a Bovril

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 28
Malta_Mariner_90
August 14, 2019, 11:26am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from Ipswin

By the time we get to Div 1 McKeown will be an 'Ancient Mariner' sitting in the main stand with a nice warm blanket around his legs, shaking his walking stick at the referee and sucking Werthers with his carer fetching him a Bovril

I take it you are basing this on your own match day routine?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 28
Ipswin
August 14, 2019, 1:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

I take it you are basing this on your own match day routine?  

No way, the days of freezing my balderdash off in the Main Stand are long gone. In front of the computer with a Trappist beer is my routine

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 28
Malta_Mariner_90
August 14, 2019, 7:29pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from Ipswin

No way, the days of freezing my balderdash off in the Main Stand are long gone. In front of the computer with a Trappist beer is my routine

I always thought sitting in the main stand was cold until I tried the upper Smiths or whatever it is called now.

Although nothing can replace being at the ground the cold weather does make watching on ifollow in Malta not so bad!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 28
RonMariner
August 15, 2019, 12:59pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,539
Gold Stars: 224
He saved no end of points last year, and the year before. Worth hanging to, and worth rewarding. If someone does want to poach him we will get well compensated.

Good move.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › McKeown Contract Extension

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.