Northbank Mariner
August 8, 2019, 1:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from monkeyboy
Guess thats sod all for new signings then, thought they might just push one or two through to boost the attendance tomorrow.
We looking poor in the centre for creativity

Still got til 2nd September, wouldn't panic yet...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 153
gtfc98
August 16, 2019, 12:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Phew  

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 153
GTFCH
August 16, 2019, 1:19pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +79
The ‘creative midfielder’ chat has got so boring.

Of course we lack Andre Pirlo, most teams do! Having a creative type in the middle at this level will generally always mean they will lack in work rate, physicality, attitude. If they didn’t lack in these areas then they wouldn’t be playing football at GTFC.

The exception to this was Embleton but these types don’t become available to a club like GTFC that often.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 153
moosey_club
August 16, 2019, 7:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,238
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from GTFCH
The ‘creative midfielder’ chat has got so boring.

Of course we lack Andre Pirlo, most teams do! Having a creative type in the middle at this level will generally always mean they will lack in work rate, physicality, attitude. If they didn’t lack in these areas then they wouldn’t be playing football at GTFC.

The exception to this was Embleton but these types don’t become available to a club like GTFC that often.

the best approach would be to grow one of our own.....whilst the acadamy is having some relative success of late with younger players making it into the squad i wonder if they have a particular type of player they screen/select as players progress through. Whether consciously or sub concsiously selecting more disciplined or athletic players over independant thinking flair players.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 153
IlkleyMariner
August 16, 2019, 8:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,992
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from moosey_club

the best approach would be to grow one of our own.....whilst the acadamy is having some relative success of late with younger players making it into the squad i wonder if they have a particular type of player they screen/select as players progress through. Whether consciously or sub concsiously selecting more disciplined or athletic players over independant thinking flair players.

At the end of the day, people behave in ways in which they are measured.

You need to ask Neil Woods as to how he is measured, if at all. If he is measured by producing a particular type of player, he will try.
If he is measured by how many points his squad will produce that will result in a different outcome.

Not sure if that answers the question but it's worth asking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 153
moosey_club
August 16, 2019, 8:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,238
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

You need to ask Neil Woods as to how he is measured, if at all. If he is measured by producing a particular type of player, he will try.
If he is measured by how many points his squad will produce that will result in a different outcome.

thats my point, is it a conscious decision to perhaps discard a player who may have moments of game changing ability over a solid but unspectacular consistent player.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 153
KingstonMariner
August 16, 2019, 10:14pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Or maybe the players with the greatest ability get poached by much bigger clubs.

What we really want then is hugely talented players who hide their light under a bushel, do the mundane disciplined thing for years then when too old to go into an academy at Moneybags FC reveal their talent when on the fringe of the first team  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 153
jamesgtfc
August 16, 2019, 10:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,938
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

In my opinion the only way to judge a youth team manager is by the number of graduates that either bring in money or feature in the first team. The sad fact is that most of the youth team are just making up the numbers for the 2/3 that have a realistic chance of a deal.

I'm not interested if the youth team finish bottom of their league. The only objective for me is that it produces first team players.

Our youth system is currently going through a purple patch and it's great to witness. It is great that MJ has faith in the academy because under Hurst, Bignot or Slade, Clifton and Wright would probably be playing their trade at Clee Town or Grimsby Borough.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 153
IlkleyMariner
August 16, 2019, 10:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,992
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from jamesgtfc

In my opinion the only way to judge a youth team manager is by the number of graduates that either bring in money or feature in the first team. The sad fact is that most of the youth team are just making up the numbers for the 2/3 that have a realistic chance of a deal.

I'm not interested if the youth team finish bottom of their league. The only objective for me is that it produces first team players.

Our youth system is currently going through a purple patch and it's great to witness. It is great that MJ has faith in the academy because under Hurst, Bignot or Slade, Clifton and Wright would probably be playing their trade at Clee Town or Grimsby Borough.

agreed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 153
KingstonMariner
August 16, 2019, 10:50pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from jamesgtfc

A wider perspective on it would be the opportunity for other young players to develop to the become the best they could be, even if they don't make it in full-time professional football. So there's a wider community benefit. To be parochial about it, if they don't make the grade at GTFC, it'd be great if they did make it in the first team at Clee or GY Boro, or one of the other Lincolnshire clubs.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 153
16 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Luke Waterfall

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.