4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Oly1987
July 28, 2019, 5:15pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,227
Gold Stars: 22
I know we are heading into the season with a 4-3-3 formation and our wide options arent amazing but just wondering what people think of a potential 4-4-2

GK: Macca
DF: Ring, Pollock/Davis, Ohman, Hendrie/Hewitt
MF: Wright, Clifton, Hess, Hendrie/Hewitt
FW: Hanson, Green
Logged Offline
Private Message
Oly1987
July 28, 2019, 5:18pm
Lager Top Drinker
as a plan b to the 4-3-3
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 34
sonofmadeleymariner
July 28, 2019, 5:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
If we were doing 442 as the back up option I'd want to see us bring in a proper winger first

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 34
rancido
July 28, 2019, 6:08pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
Players win games not systems.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 34
mariner91
July 28, 2019, 6:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,625
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from rancido

That's just simply not true.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 34
moosey_club
July 28, 2019, 6:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from mariner91

That's just simply not true.

It is true...Mike Newell said it onc.....oh...errrrm  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 34
rancido
July 28, 2019, 7:02pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
I seem to recall either Bill Shankley or Brian Clough said it but hey ho what would they know.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 34
Rasen 17
July 28, 2019, 7:35pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Approval: +40
Gold Stars: 2
With no Whitehouse  or Ogbu I don't think much of your team Oly but fortunately you are not picking the team!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 34
chaos33
July 28, 2019, 8:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Can’t really see how we can play 4-4-2 when we (still) haven’t got any wide midfielders/wingers apart from Wright who’s very young and who doesn’t seem a likely starter. We haven’t got the strength in depth we need, or the cover yet to be tactically flexible - something which surprises and disappoints me given Jolley’s profile/pedigree, but, benefit of the doubt.....there’s time for us to bring in more players. 3 we need in my book.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 34
jimgtfc
July 28, 2019, 9:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from chaos33
Can’t really see how we can play 4-4-2 when we (still) haven’t got any wide midfielders/wingers apart from Wright who’s very young and who doesn’t seem a likely starter. We haven’t got the strength in depth we need, or the cover yet to be tactically flexible - something which surprises and disappoints me given Jolley’s profile/pedigree, but, benefit of the doubt.....there’s time for us to bring in more players. 3 we need in my book.

Completely agree. It seems Jolley doesn’t like playing with out and out wingers, or he certainly hasn’t set us up like that recently.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 34
chaos33
July 28, 2019, 9:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I’d like to see Wright given a go in some games. He has great promise - is quick, skilful and can cross and shoot. I also think we need to score more goals and Hanson and Green quite obviously thrive on crosses, so, if we are not playing 4-4-2 we need to ensure that whatever system we do play makes the most of this asset by good set piece delivery and central midfielders and wing backs getting into wide areas and getting the ball into the box.

Jolley knows his stats and he knows that the vast majority of goals are scored from crosses and set pieces. However we play, we’ve got to set up with this in mind.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 34
marinerdazza
July 28, 2019, 9:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,848
Gold Stars: 82
4-3-3 works well for us. It probably kept us up. I’m all for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 34
chaos33
July 28, 2019, 9:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I like 4-3-3 and 4-3-1-2 if played well but you kind of make the salient point. ‘We stayed up playing 4-3-3’ you say, but, for me, that’s the problem. Since we returned to the league we’ve been all about ‘staying up’. At the same time our goals scored totals have been rubbish. We can’t go on doing that. We have to have more ambition and strive to be a top half team at least. Therefore, for me, we need better players, and more flexible/effective tactics. Saying 4-3-3 has kept us up so let’s go on with that is flawed.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 34
moosey_club
July 28, 2019, 9:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
i just hope that for what would seem like the first time in years we actually start a season with the system we have been preparing for in signings and pre season formations instead of scrapping it either just before we kick off or after a game or two.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 34
BackHeelTony
July 28, 2019, 9:32pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +325
Gold Stars: 1
The problem with 4-4-2 is that very few other teams play it!

So if we were to adopt it, we would more than likely get out-numbered in central midfield, in most games.

Jolley to me looks set on 4-3-3. From what I've seen so far a lot of work has gone into the system so cant see it changing too much now.

Worked pretty well yesterday against a decent side, expect us to be fairly direct though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 34
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 28, 2019, 9:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from jimgtfc

Completely agree. It seems Jolley doesn’t like playing with out and out wingers, or he certainly hasn’t set us up like that recently.

One of the reasons managers nowadays do not favour 4-4-2 is that it has just 2 in centre midfield. When we have set up that way we have not had good enough players to win the midfield and that puts pressure on the centre backs. Collins was very often getting skinned by somebody running through the middle so MJ fixed that by playing the diamond 4 in the middle that can easily be switched to a 4-3-3.  These days some variation of that is what you see in almost every side.

We will have to wait and see how it sets up but I would like to see either Rose or Wright used as the pacy player who switches around and gets down the wings and cuts inside as well as getting some crosses in.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 34
mariner91
July 28, 2019, 9:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,625
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from rancido
I seem to recall either Bill Shankley or Brian Clough said it but hey ho what would they know.

Regardless of who said it, it doesn't make it right. The year we were promoted from the National League, are you telling me that Danny Cowley had better players at his disposal than Paul Hurst did? Not even close, he just set them up better. And before you say but Hurst beat them in the play offs, he may have done but he also finished below them in the league and only won one of the four games against them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 34
chaos33
July 28, 2019, 9:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I like the idea of that too RRFC.  Obviously, all games are different - you probably won’t play the same way away at Bradford as you would at home to Port Vale, for example, but I think we need to be able to seize the initiative and take the game to teams, make best use of our assets and switch our system or our players. I think, at present, we are better equipped to do this than last year, but I still think we are lacking a player or two that will give us the potential to get at the top 10.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 34
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 28, 2019, 9:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from mariner91

Regardless of who said it, it doesn't make it right. The year we were promoted from the National League, are you telling me that Danny Cowley had better players at his disposal than Paul Hurst did? Not even close, he just set them up better. And before you say but Hurst beat them in the play offs, he may have done but he also finished below them in the league and only won one of the four games against them.

Whether Shankly or Clough said it, they didn’t mean it. They both set up their sides in a certain way so all players knew exactly what their job was. For instance, Forest in the 80s was a solid defensive minded unit that had the simple instruction of “keep it on the floor and give it to Robertson’s feet.”

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 34
Oly1987
July 29, 2019, 7:29am
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Rasen 17
With no Whitehouse  or Ogbu I don't think much of your team Oly but fortunately you are not picking the team!!

Well you could swap out Hess or Clifton for Whitehouse. Not much place for Ogbu but like I said this is a plan b to bring in some width
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 34
diehardmariner
July 29, 2019, 2:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,544
Gold Stars: 537
The 4-3-3 worked better on Saturday than it has previously this summer because we had Rose in that front 3 who could stretch teams.   It was that simple.  He had their full-back on toast a few times, meaning others had to come across and cover.  

Ogbu in that role behind the front two hasn't had anywhere near that level of impact so the front two are relatively easily occupied.

In an ideal world we would have both width and someone pushing on from the midfield.  Unless Jolley is brave enough to play wingers and an attacking midfielder/withdrawn striker, I can't see us having both.  
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 34
GrimRob
July 29, 2019, 2:24pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
The biggest thing for me is to have more than one way of playing just to give the opposition something to think about. If you play the same way every week it makes the opposition's job a lot easier. Likewise making similar substitutions and switching things around the same time. Mix it up. Get the opposition bench trying to figure out what you are doing.

Yes, players win games and not systems but we don't have the best squad of players by any stretch of the imagination so we need to get every edge we can.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 34
Nutsy
July 29, 2019, 7:58pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +139
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from diehardmariner
The 4-3-3 worked better on Saturday than it has previously this summer because we had Rose in that front 3 who could stretch teams.   It was that simple.  He had their full-back on toast a few times, meaning others had to come across and cover.  

Ogbu in that role behind the front two hasn't had anywhere near that level of impact so the front two are relatively easily occupied.

In an ideal world we would have both width and someone pushing on from the midfield.  Unless Jolley is brave enough to play wingers and an attacking midfielder/withdrawn striker, I can't see us having both.  

Could not agree more. I was at Boston and the Peterborough game. Ogbu wasn't sharp at all. Rose was superb, as was Wright. If we deploy Ogbu out wide he might be more effective
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
lukeo
July 29, 2019, 8:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
Quoted from rancido

I mean this in the nicest way possible without trying to be rude but you've clearly not coached before have you?

Yes you need the players but the system etcc is just as important.

I can give an amateur example of it with my team we started 433 lost 1 drew 1 won 13 in 15, I changed it half way through the season (stupidly) to 352 (same players)  we lost 4 and drew 3 winning just 8 of the remaining 15 games.
New season, a few fresh faces and 352 so far has been working very well and I'm excited for the season ahead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
KingstonMariner
July 29, 2019, 9:40pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from GrimRob
The biggest thing for me is to have more than one way of playing just to give the opposition something to think about. If you play the same way every week it makes the opposition's job a lot easier. Likewise making similar substitutions and switching things around the same time. Mix it up. Get the opposition bench trying to figure out what you are doing.

Yes, players win games and not systems but we don't have the best squad of players by any stretch of the imagination so we need to get every edge we can.

Problem is without better players, changing systems mid-game, or even from game to game, is even harder.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
KingstonMariner
July 29, 2019, 9:41pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Wright is 21. It's not that young to be a professional footballer. I think someone even pointed out he's older than Clifton.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
diehardmariner
July 30, 2019, 9:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,544
Gold Stars: 537
As Wright is a proper winger in that he hugs the touchline and goes down the flank, we could probably afford a more inverted type winger on the other flank.  That could allow someone like Vernam to play in that role I guess.  As another option Rose could operate on one of the wings, would require a dominant full-back behind him though.

Neither are really ideal I guess.  Vernam showed at times last season he has a very good delivery from wide so with Hanson in the middle he wouldn't be the worst person to have in a wide role.   If we're going to shoehorn anyone into playing out wide, I think he's probably our best option.  Of course, as Nutsy says, Ogbu could be more effective out there.  
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
chaos33
July 30, 2019, 10:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Good point actually KM, I had in my mind he was 19/20 so yeah, even more of a case for him playing. I’d like to see him start certain games or to be used more than he has from the bench as I think his asserts, particularly late in games against tiring or booked defenders will cause problems.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
Poojah
July 30, 2019, 10:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,472
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from chaos33

That’s a pretty fair assessment in my book. My worry is that all the talk seems to be of ‘trying’ (and not necessarily succeeding) to bring in two more players, one of which will be a centre half. That’s obviously needed but it’s not achieving much in the way of tactical flexibility.

The pattern of last season was that we struggled to find a team and system that worked in the early stages, eventually found our feet in the run up to Christmas but after a brief period of success got found out and struggled through the lack of any plan b.

I hope and expect us to start better this season, but I can easily see a situation where we get worked out by sides and begin to struggle once again.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
Malta_Mariner_90
July 30, 2019, 11:00am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Approval: +796
If we were in the market for a new winger I see Ben Pringle is still without a club?

Could be a decent option. Certainly he can take a good set piece and our form with him in the side was pretty decent.

I know some people would say he left us, but I think it was more Jolley wanting to play 3-5-2 and Pringle was never going to fit in that system.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
Nutsy
July 30, 2019, 1:12pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +139
Gold Stars: 5
Pringles never really impressed me. There is certainly a player there, but for us we need quick wingers to fit with the rest of the squad. Thought Pringle would do a better job in central midfield
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 34
Malta_Mariner_90
July 30, 2019, 1:18pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Approval: +796
Quoted from Nutsy
Pringles never really impressed me. There is certainly a player there, but for us we need quick wingers to fit with the rest of the squad. Thought Pringle would do a better job in central midfield

I know what you mean. He fitted the term drifited in and out of games for sure. But he was on good form at Tranmere and was pretty influential in their promotion.

Would never have him in centre mid myself though, far too weak.

Maybe behind a front two but not in the engine room?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 34
toontown
July 30, 2019, 6:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,269
Gold Stars: 70
Pringle is a wide midfielder rather than a winger if u know what I mean. Doesn't beat a man, his crosses are from a static position usually. Good crosser of the ball tho. Not impossible he would feed Hanson well, but not sure how I would feel about him coming back as he was part of what was a very feeble attack for us last season creatively. Just maybe that was due to not having players that thrived on his type of play?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 34
AussieMariner
July 30, 2019, 7:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
His left foot is a wand - we probably just didn’t have the forwards to take advantage so he would probably be more effective this season especially with Hanson in there.
Downsides were when he played on the right he was very predictable as he always had to cut inside to get it on his left, and defensively was quite weak. I’m sure we dropped a few points due to his defensive lapses including his first game away at Stevenage.
So on balance I’m hoping for better this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 34
KingstonMariner
July 31, 2019, 1:57am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
Good point actually KM, I had in my mind he was 19/20 so yeah, even more of a case for him playing. I’d like to see him start certain games or to be used more than he has from the bench as I think his asserts, particularly late in games against tiring or booked defenders will cause problems.

I remember this because he's about the same age as my son*. Same school year. So it makes it easy to remember.

* About time he started to deliver too the lazy student sodomist

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 34
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 4-4-2

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.