4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
July 29, 2019, 2:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,510
Gold Stars: 536
The 4-3-3 worked better on Saturday than it has previously this summer because we had Rose in that front 3 who could stretch teams.   It was that simple.  He had their full-back on toast a few times, meaning others had to come across and cover.  

Ogbu in that role behind the front two hasn't had anywhere near that level of impact so the front two are relatively easily occupied.

In an ideal world we would have both width and someone pushing on from the midfield.  Unless Jolley is brave enough to play wingers and an attacking midfielder/withdrawn striker, I can't see us having both.  
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 34
GrimRob
July 29, 2019, 2:24pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,400
Gold Stars: 113
The biggest thing for me is to have more than one way of playing just to give the opposition something to think about. If you play the same way every week it makes the opposition's job a lot easier. Likewise making similar substitutions and switching things around the same time. Mix it up. Get the opposition bench trying to figure out what you are doing.

Yes, players win games and not systems but we don't have the best squad of players by any stretch of the imagination so we need to get every edge we can.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 34
Nutsy
July 29, 2019, 7:58pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +139
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from diehardmariner
The 4-3-3 worked better on Saturday than it has previously this summer because we had Rose in that front 3 who could stretch teams.   It was that simple.  He had their full-back on toast a few times, meaning others had to come across and cover.  

Ogbu in that role behind the front two hasn't had anywhere near that level of impact so the front two are relatively easily occupied.

In an ideal world we would have both width and someone pushing on from the midfield.  Unless Jolley is brave enough to play wingers and an attacking midfielder/withdrawn striker, I can't see us having both.  

Could not agree more. I was at Boston and the Peterborough game. Ogbu wasn't sharp at all. Rose was superb, as was Wright. If we deploy Ogbu out wide he might be more effective
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
lukeo
July 29, 2019, 8:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
Quoted from rancido
Players win games not systems.

I mean this in the nicest way possible without trying to be rude but you've clearly not coached before have you?

Yes you need the players but the system etcc is just as important.

I can give an amateur example of it with my team we started 433 lost 1 drew 1 won 13 in 15, I changed it half way through the season (stupidly) to 352 (same players)  we lost 4 and drew 3 winning just 8 of the remaining 15 games.
New season, a few fresh faces and 352 so far has been working very well and I'm excited for the season ahead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
KingstonMariner
July 29, 2019, 9:40pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from GrimRob
The biggest thing for me is to have more than one way of playing just to give the opposition something to think about. If you play the same way every week it makes the opposition's job a lot easier. Likewise making similar substitutions and switching things around the same time. Mix it up. Get the opposition bench trying to figure out what you are doing.

Yes, players win games and not systems but we don't have the best squad of players by any stretch of the imagination so we need to get every edge we can.

Problem is without better players, changing systems mid-game, or even from game to game, is even harder.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
KingstonMariner
July 29, 2019, 9:41pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from chaos33
Can’t really see how we can play 4-4-2 when we (still) haven’t got any wide midfielders/wingers apart from Wright who’s very young and who doesn’t seem a likely starter. We haven’t got the strength in depth we need, or the cover yet to be tactically flexible - something which surprises and disappoints me given Jolley’s profile/pedigree, but, benefit of the doubt.....there’s time for us to bring in more players. 3 we need in my book.

Wright is 21. It's not that young to be a professional footballer. I think someone even pointed out he's older than Clifton.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
diehardmariner
July 30, 2019, 9:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,510
Gold Stars: 536
As Wright is a proper winger in that he hugs the touchline and goes down the flank, we could probably afford a more inverted type winger on the other flank.  That could allow someone like Vernam to play in that role I guess.  As another option Rose could operate on one of the wings, would require a dominant full-back behind him though.

Neither are really ideal I guess.  Vernam showed at times last season he has a very good delivery from wide so with Hanson in the middle he wouldn't be the worst person to have in a wide role.   If we're going to shoehorn anyone into playing out wide, I think he's probably our best option.  Of course, as Nutsy says, Ogbu could be more effective out there.  
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
chaos33
July 30, 2019, 10:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,927
Gold Stars: 356
Good point actually KM, I had in my mind he was 19/20 so yeah, even more of a case for him playing. I’d like to see him start certain games or to be used more than he has from the bench as I think his asserts, particularly late in games against tiring or booked defenders will cause problems.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
Poojah
July 30, 2019, 10:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,457
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from chaos33
Can’t really see how we can play 4-4-2 when we (still) haven’t got any wide midfielders/wingers apart from Wright who’s very young and who doesn’t seem a likely starter. We haven’t got the strength in depth we need, or the cover yet to be tactically flexible - something which surprises and disappoints me given Jolley’s profile/pedigree, but, benefit of the doubt.....there’s time for us to bring in more players. 3 we need in my book.

That’s a pretty fair assessment in my book. My worry is that all the talk seems to be of ‘trying’ (and not necessarily succeeding) to bring in two more players, one of which will be a centre half. That’s obviously needed but it’s not achieving much in the way of tactical flexibility.

The pattern of last season was that we struggled to find a team and system that worked in the early stages, eventually found our feet in the run up to Christmas but after a brief period of success got found out and struggled through the lack of any plan b.

I hope and expect us to start better this season, but I can easily see a situation where we get worked out by sides and begin to struggle once again.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
Malta_Mariner_90
July 30, 2019, 11:00am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
If we were in the market for a new winger I see Ben Pringle is still without a club?

Could be a decent option. Certainly he can take a good set piece and our form with him in the side was pretty decent.

I know some people would say he left us, but I think it was more Jolley wanting to play 3-5-2 and Pringle was never going to fit in that system.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 4-4-2

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.