This thread currently has 14,978 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
RoboCod
July 29, 2019, 1:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
We all looked to Rose for this fabled electric pace, but it's been easily countered on a lot of occasions however his heading ability looks to be really impressive. Looking forward to crosses being stuck on the heads of him and Hanson, surely we're much more of a set-piece danger now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 51
diehardmariner
July 29, 2019, 4:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
First things first, Peterborough were very good.  First 20 minutes or so we were largely chasing shadows against a side with a hell of a lot of technical ability in their side.  If we come across any side capable of knocking it about in such a fashion, they'll go up as Champions at a canter.  

Once Town settled though we gave them a good go, in fact we reduced them to two shots on goal for their goals and one that Macca had to make a smartish but relatively routine save.  

Pollock is probably first choice centre-back based on pre-season showings.  Both Davis and Ohman have looked absolutely fine in respective games but Pollock looks head and shoulders above both.  Solid in the air and tackle but also willing and capable of bringing the ball out and pinging the ball out into space.   He's going to be one hell of a player.

Hewitt was anonymous in the middle but different kettle of fish at full-back.  He wasn't really tested defensively but the host of crosses he delivered were excellent, nice little short corner routine with Hessenthaler too.  Jolley ended the game with Hewitt at right-back and Hendrie at left-back.  I'm not suggesting it should happen but I do wonder if he'll go with that against Morecambe, just for the quality of crosses it allows us to put in from both flanks.

Clifton, Hess and Whitehouse are all very similar in the middle and I would like Jolley to be a bit braver and just pick two with a more advanced midfield role going to either Cook or Vernam (obviously be Cook based on current fitness) - interesting that he deployed Max Wright in that role for the last 10/15 minutes.

Up top we looked so much better with a proper 3 man attack that had pace in it.  Green and Rose worked the wings really well and offered constant outlets.  Hanson is a proper centre-forward.  He'll score as many as he sets up.  Issue is going to be the service.  Got to get people in and around him buzzing about because he'll win so many of the balls up to him, but also free up space for those willing to take a chance.  For me it has to be two either side of him and one pushing forward from the midfield.  Add to that full-backs slinging crosses in and we could cause a lot of problems going forward.

I'd like us to have a genuine creative influence in the team.  Hopefully that'll come in the form of Ogbu.  In the event it isn't him, I think you need energy and a bit of a bite between midfield and attack, hence why I think Cook should be in that role.  But otherwise I think we're there or thereabouts.  Saw the Clee Town game and then the two home friendlies.  Depth is going to be a big consideration over the course of the season.  We're top heavy in attack but that includes a lot of players who've had injury problems.  All of Cook, Cardwell, Vernam and Rose failed to stay fit last season.  Cover across the rest of the pitch mainly comes through first team professionals which isn't a bad thing but could be an issue if we lose a few experienced heads to injury/suspension.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Peterborough

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.