6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Gaffer58
July 27, 2019, 5:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
We all know the main problem last season was scoring goals, every team will concede but we would go behind and the confidence would go, whereas this season although we will concede I feel we will still be in games as we have a stronger frontline. So here's to a bit more anticipation of a successful season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 51
jimgtfc
July 27, 2019, 5:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,084
Gold Stars: 44
Interesting run out against a very technical and composed Peterborough side, will have helped us work on our defensive shape as they must’ve had a good 60% possession at least. They carved us open 3 or 4 times in the first half hour which was concerning but we seemed to get to grips with it a little more after that. On the ball we definitely had the obvious option of going with the longer ball towards Hanson and feeding off him, this worked a few times and will cause teams no end of problems. I think we maybe did it a little too much at times though and would like to see a bit more variation, I can’t remember us attempting to play out from a goal kick once, it went to Hanson every time.

Mattie Pollock is a real prospect. He defends so well, is brave and committed, the more games he plays the more composure on the ball he will get and he’ll be able to use it more wisely. I actually wouldn’t be surprised or worried if he started ahead of Davis next week.

Our midfield is at times little one dimensional, very honest and hardworking, but we still miss that one player who stands out for technical ability, whether it be a winger or central player who can just show a bit of class on the ball and beat a man or with a killer pass. If we’re going with three in the centre then we need to have at least one creative player in there, especially without us having any natural wingers (what does Jolley have against playing with wingers 🤷🏼‍♂️) Hopefully that player or players will arrive before the window shuts.

Of the new lads, Hewitt didn’t do an awful lot in open play from midfield but put 3 or 4 lovely first time crosses in from the right hand side that we were unlucky not to score from. Whitehouse (I’ll class him as a new lad) covered a good bit of ground and looks like he’ll be excellent when we’re pressing the opposition. Neat and tidy in possession without much flair. Matt Green worked hard and ran the channels well in tandem with Rose (who I thought was one of our better players) and looked to buzz around Hanson, was unlucky not to score in the second half. As for Hanson himself, I think he’s a class player at this level, excellent in the air, strong and a real presence in the final third, needs proper service to be fully effective.

All in all not a bad performance against what I thought looked a good side. Some work to be done and some players to be signed, but if we can add one or two with a bit of quality I think we’ve got a much better squad than last season and in a lot better state than when MJ arrived.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 51
OllieGTFC
July 27, 2019, 5:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
Did the new floodlights make a difference today ?

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 51
golfer
July 27, 2019, 5:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,419
Gold Stars: 115
Enjoyable game. Peterboro' have some good players, Dembelle caused panic whenever he got the ball but a bit too greedy. Their goalkeeper made outstanding saves or else we would have had something to show for several good efforts. Thought Hanson, Green and Rose worked well together.n Hewitt played better at full back-just wish Hess. would be allowed to play more of an attacking role. Still quite a bit of work to do but will only be playing against league 2 teams instead of the Posh. Attacking midfielder and a winger should be on our shopping list if there are any about.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 51
TwoLeftFeet
July 27, 2019, 5:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,075
Gold Stars: 18
Was very impressed again with Pollock imo should be a starter next week at Morecambe
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 51
promotion plaice
July 27, 2019, 5:59pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,026
Gold Stars: 194
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Did the new floodlights make a difference today ?

They were actually on today, don't know why but what do I know.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 51
golfer
July 27, 2019, 6:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,419
Gold Stars: 115
Showing off to the Posh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 51
Northbank Mariner
July 27, 2019, 6:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Gotta say it was a good workout for the team but posh did look a pretty handy side...plenty of pace and moved the ball very quickly...can't see any league 2 sides being anywhere near their standard...
Up front Hanson and Greene seemed to have a good understanding of each other and Rose put himself about and showed his burst of pace, unlucky to out the header in the first half just past the post...
No really negatives taken away from today.. certainly we look more of a threat up top and I do expect more goals to come this season...
Barry Fry p@ssed me off tho, parked his car like a right arrogant get blocking the car next to him in....silly old twit...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 51
A.l.f.
July 27, 2019, 6:59pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
Excellent performance - roll on next week ☺
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 51
TAGG
July 27, 2019, 7:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,958
Gold Stars: 124
Good work out against a good footballing side.
Very positive.
Re enforced my opinion that Ring is not good enough 🙁

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Peterborough

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.