marinerdazza
July 24, 2019, 9:21am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from chaos33

For instance - we’ve got a striker of proven quality in Hanson, albeit one who absolutely relies on crosses, and yet no wide players signed to deliver them! Yet.

I think Hendrie will be doing a lot of this. He’s certainly capable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 78
Son of Cod
July 24, 2019, 9:38am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,322
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from chaos33
RB not the only position where we are lacking cover or competition. I don’t know how good this player is or what to make of a 5 figure bid we may or may not have made, but I’m going to be a bit controversial and make a general point that I think we have a relatively below par squad that is totally imbalanced as the new season approaches.

We have 7 strikers but only 3 centre backs, one of whom is really an academy shot so no solid, proven cover or flexibility.  No RB cover. Injured left back cover and a likely first choice LB for whom the jury is still out. One winger who is little more than a kid and even then, doesn’t look a likely starter, so STILL no natural wide players. 4 centre mids but still not a midfielder either of proven quality or outstanding promise who will get goals and assists. Keeper cover and competition?

I think we’ve made 3 promising forward signings but other than that, I see no obvious signs that the budget is any better than bottom third level, and a likely starting line up that looks s little too much like the team of last season, give or take 3 or 4 players. If we don’t make a handful of good quality signings in the next few weeks I foresee another season of struggle for us, with pressure on the manager pretty quickly if we start poorly in the first 10 games. Not what I want to see but I can’t see any real evidence of solid investment in a squad that can challenge the top 6 or even top 10, and I think that’s what we all want and expect. Looks like more of the same to me, ie...,trying to eek it out and keep out of trouble, hopefully.

Harry Davis can play at RB. Moses Ogbu can play on the wing apparently. We don't know the extent of Gibson's injury yet, unless I've missed something.

I can't be arsed getting into the CM thing again, but I will say that people are a bit deluded if they think we're gonna go out and get a CM who is gonna grab himself 20+ goals/assists combined. And yeah...we probably have got a bottom 3rd budget. At least we're running somewhat sustainably now though. There are loads of teams in the division chucking money at it this season, gonna be some clubs in trouble in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 78
Maringer
July 24, 2019, 10:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Whisper it, but I reckon we're going to be a team which is looking to threaten from set pieces a good amount this season. We've got some players who are very strong in the air (notably notably Hanson and Ohman - Davis had a good record from set pieces as well last season) with a few hard-working and energetic midfielders and I'm not expecting us to tippy-tap around much but instead get it forward quickly for Green and Ogbu to run on to or Hanson to head on/lay off. This being the case, we're likely to win a good few free-kicks and throw-ins in the opposition half so I only hope we can put plenty of good crosses and long throws into the box.

As long as we've got one or two other dimensions to our play, it's not a problem, but I'm not expecting us to get to the line to put the crosses in all that often. Most of best crosses last season came from slightly deeper.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 78
Tommy
July 24, 2019, 10:29am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
I would expect that just because the season starts, our business won't be finished.

When the season starts, some players from clubs in higher leagues will become available for loan. Some will become available for free transfers when their club realise they've now signed enough players to deem them surplus to requirements. Or players will want to get out on loan when they realise they're not in the team by the middle of August.

On the topic of this Dummigan, I really can't believe we'd bid this amount of money for anyone. Particularly a right-back. So I will take this with a pinch of salt.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 78
diehardmariner
July 24, 2019, 10:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
I don't think anyone's expecting us to find League Two's version of Frank Lampard hiding away in someone's reserves.

I think the concern is more that we seem to have a much-about-muchness to our midfield.  Clifton, Hessenthaler and from what I've seen of Whitehouse are all good, solid, honest midfielders who will run their socks off, get stuck and keep things ticking over quite tidily.

However, with no variation it's not likely we're going to create much from there.  I don't think we'll lose many midfield battles and especially when it was Clifton and Hessenthaler in there last season, we won more second balls than at any point since our return to the league.  But not one of those players is a creative influence.  If we're going with a 4-3-1-2 type system that puts an awful lot of pressure on the guy operating in the hole to produce something.  It's way, way too early to make a judgement but Ogbu hasn't really looked like that's a position or a role that he can do.   That player needs to be demanding the ball, buzzing about and trying to make things happen (or at the very least create enough space for the other midfielders to run in behind).   Embleton did this very well around Xmas time last year until teams cottoned onto it and marked him out the games.  Which brings another problem if you put all your eggs in one basket, once Embleton was nullified we had nothing to go through.

Our tactic in pre-season, especially against Doncaster, was very much a looped ball over the top into the corners for Green to race onto.  I'm not sure if this was by design or because Ogbu wasn't linking midfield and attack up as intended, but it was what we had.  That's fine, it's an option and it's a quick, easy and relatively effective outlet.  But it can't be all we go with, unless we want to be in the same position as last season where we just don't create enough chances.

It doesn't matter how good your players are, or how big your budget is, if you can't mix it up you're going to soon get sussed out.  All the teams that went up last year had enough about them to change things when needed.  I'm not convinced we're there yet.  We've got two good strikers and a relatively strong, although in areas thin, spine to the team.  But it lacks creativity and options.

I definitely don't think 4-4-2 is the only way to go, but it is one way of allowing us to bring a natural asset we have into the side (pace).  We've looked very narrow in the games I've seen this pre-season, which doesn't really work towards the aerial strength we have in the form of Hanson.  Without a change of system that sees the likes of Wright and Rose brought into the starting eleven, it feels like we're waiting and hoping on Ogbu coming good.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 78
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 24, 2019, 10:46am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Maybe the manager is just looking to bring some quality into the squad and at the same time some versatility and it is as simple as that.

One factor that bothers me a bit is that very early withdrawal of Gibson last night and the kind of non-committal reaction of the manager after the game. Perhaps it is reading something into nothing but I am always wary of signings who have been out with long term injury or illness. Sometimes it is not the ailment itself that is the direct problem but the player's anxiousness to prove they are ready for full time, full pelt, full league action.

We have numbers in the squad and players like Pollock are nearly ready, but I think the manager is right if he is going for a ready made player like Dummigan.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 78
RichMariner
July 24, 2019, 11:35am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
We were blessed to have Embleton in our side last season. I really don't think there are many creative midfielders floating about at our level - and anyone decent enough won't be playing at this level for long (I expect Embleton to be pushing for starts at Sunderland this season).

I do agree that we need some level of creativity in the centre. For all we know, that could be a remit for Clifton, who might have been asked by Jolley to develop that side of his game this season. If that's the case, it could take time to see the fruits of his labour.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 36 - 78
toontown
July 24, 2019, 12:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Maringer
Most of best crosses last season came from slightly deeper.

ALL of our crosses seemed to come from at least slightly deep last season as we had no wingers in the squad who could beat someone and cross at pace. It was either Hendrix from deep or the lad that went to Tranmere from slightly deep.

Like others I am concernd at our lack of width again.  I had hoped 2 /3 from ogbu, Wright, and another signing could have performed this when required so 4-4-2 was an option if it seems to work with Hanson  and green. Not necessarily our standard formation but an option, perhaps when chasing games.

I also don't see a creative CM coming in now, these are rare at this level as metioner above, apart from those with attitude problems. I think Clifton has the potential to fulfil this role and brings some creativity already with his strong positive running. I would think jolley will beprioritising CD. As for this RB fella you occasionally have media lumping in wages with fee which may explain the amount of 95k perhaps?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 78
golfer
July 24, 2019, 1:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 112
Dummigan - Champions League qualifier player - "sounds ?" good on paper.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 78
Abdul19
July 24, 2019, 1:22pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Sounds pretty meaningless on my paper

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dummigan

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.