6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
rancido
July 22, 2019, 7:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92

Players who have a lot of clubs do this don’t they? Start well and look the dog’s spherical objects and then go downhill as soon as they don’t get their own way.

Still, he’s back where he wanted to be and getting league money for playing pub football. Can’t be bad.

Do we know what he is getting in wages? For all we know he could have other income streams outside of football.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 57
Mayaman
July 23, 2019, 6:25am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
Apparently Wes is going to Billericay.

I think that he was a decent player.  He didn't score that many goals but as a team we didn't provide much service last season.  We ponced about playing cute triangles but rarely created an opening.  Good through balls for someone to run onto were an endangered species as was the overlap.   I hope that changes this season.  I think he had a decent work rate too but towards the end of the season you could see him looking tired. disinterested or both.  The spat with Jolly was a shame - it takes two to tango.   All said and done, It's probably better he left but I have no hard feelings toward him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 57
diehardmariner
July 23, 2019, 9:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,092
Gold Stars: 520
Quoted from norfuk mariner
Whilst you can understand money matters when your getting toward to the end of your playing career, this shows his true mercenary colours. He did not want to be here towards the end and it showed on the field.

Thing is, I can't imagine that as a young lad he would have really listed the likes of Grimsby and Oxford as clubs he wanted to play for.  Unless you support those clubs, it's highly unlikely you would have a real desire to play for them.

He's also at an age where he will realise that he isn't going to break it back into the Championship or above.  His career is on the dwindle.  He could have had another dabble at League One but deep down he will know he's not good enough to be a big deal on that stage.  

He won't have made a life-changing amount out of the game so can't blame him for taking a big payday, probably one that allows him to explore other avenues and is closer to home.

As much as I cringe at Billericay, it's a hell of a signing at that level - suspect attitude or not.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 57
Heisenberg
July 23, 2019, 10:19am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,816
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from diehardmariner

Thing is, I can't imagine that as a young lad he would have really listed the likes of Grimsby and Oxford as clubs he wanted to play for.  Unless you support those clubs, it's highly unlikely you would have a real desire to play for them.

He's also at an age where he will realise that he isn't going to break it back into the Championship or above.  His career is on the dwindle.  He could have had another dabble at League One but deep down he will know he's not good enough to be a big deal on that stage.  

He won't have made a life-changing amount out of the game so can't blame him for taking a big payday, probably one that allows him to explore other avenues and is closer to home.

As much as I cringe at Billericay, it's a hell of a signing at that level - suspect attitude or not.

Couldn't agree more with that.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 57
fishboyUTM
July 23, 2019, 7:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
Wes was quality for us in my opinion. He certainly wasn't lazy as some have implied. He was clearly frustrated with the total lack of service and probably was getting sick of the way MJ set his team up. Wes worked off scraps and still bagged a good total. None of the strikers at the club, bar Charles Vernam maybe could have scored that goal Wes scored at Port Vale. I'll remember him fondly and I'll give him my finest salute if he ever plays against us again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 57
hheh2
July 23, 2019, 7:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Wes was a quality player for us best striker we've had since Bogle.

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 57
chaos33
July 23, 2019, 11:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Yep agree with the last few posts in this thread. Surprising to see the drop down maybe but hell of a signing for them at that level. I thought he did a great job in a fairly poor team last season. Take his goals away and we’d have been relegation material.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 57
diehardmariner
July 24, 2019, 8:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,092
Gold Stars: 520
But someone else may have stepped up into the breach in his absence?

In Cook and Vernam I think we have/had a potential decent pairing that could have worked well together.  Jolley got into a bit of an obsession with Thomas and using him as some sort of target man, when it's never really his game. For large periods of the season the goals were ever only going to come through Thomas as all the play was centred around him.

That's not a criticism of Thomas, more the approach and tactics that Jolley used.  I suppose Jolley's all eggs in one basket attitude have been shaped by the fact that neither Cook or Vernam, can add Cardwell and Rose to that mix too, were consistently free from injury.

Hopefully this season we'll have more than one approach to our attack!
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 57
mariner91
July 25, 2019, 7:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,254
Gold Stars: 253
Now joined at Billericay by Matt Rhead.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 57
Pogo
July 25, 2019, 7:25pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +139
Quoted from mariner91
Now joined at Billericay by Matt Rhead.

Rhead, Thomas and billericay are well suited together
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.