2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Northbank Mariner
July 18, 2019, 11:42am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Just listened to Gordon Taylor on talk sport regarding the sorry state of affairs at Bolton Wanderers...
The PFA have had to loan the players their wages for the last 5 months and he's also said it's looking increasingly likely that the EFL have failed the club and the PFA will have to report them to FIFA to put sanctions in place with the reality being that the club could fold..
Macclesfield, Bury and Notts County are on the same path too...
Kind of got me thinking that for as much as we give JSF stick for the state our clubs in at least we have a solvent, sustainable club to watch each week...
At this moment that saying of "be thankful for small mercies" is ringing in my head..
Logged Offline
Private Message
denni266
July 18, 2019, 12:34pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +634
Gold Stars: 128
Agree with you on that. But he treat the club like a cherished daughter and would not do anything to let it bloom and expand.. A ll he had to do was listen to what others said,  fans especially in stead of being on his high horse all the time and looking down on us and thinking he is the only one that mattered. we know he has protected the club, but so would the fans . It would have been more enjoyable for him and the fans to have been at one
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
Gaffer58
July 18, 2019, 3:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
I believe their dept got to around £180 million at one stage, and thats after having numerous seasons in the premier. There has been a complete breakdown in administration at that club over the last 10 years, if they were a normal business then they would have gone bankrupt.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
KingstonMariner
July 18, 2019, 4:32pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
It’s probably having those years in the prem that’s done it for Bolton. Given them a taste for highly paid players and probably kept thinking if we can have just one more push we can get back.

I’m with denni on this

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
SteffiMariner
July 18, 2019, 6:53pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Contraversial statement here, but I'd be quite happy for Bolton and Bury to go to the wall this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
mariner tommy
July 18, 2019, 7:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,869
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from SteffiMariner
Contraversial statement here, but I'd be quite happy for Bolton and Bury to go to the wall this season.

Why on earth would you wish closure on any football club, you bet your post is controversial.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
Les Brechin
July 18, 2019, 7:42pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from SteffiMariner

The only team I'd want to go to the wall are MK Dons. Wouldn't even wish that on Scunny!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
jamesgtfc
July 18, 2019, 8:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,815
Gold Stars: 187
I think the EFL needs to come down like a ton of bricks on a team.

Agree with what Denni said and it's like a gambler constantly chasing that big jackpot. Promotion to the promised land would probably pay most of the debt off which in the mindset of some, makes the gamble worthwhile.

If the EFL and FA made an example of one club and kicked them out it would make owners think twice. We have seen with Darlington that the National League don't take any prisoners so a team like Bolton would have to join the Northern Premier at best.

You have to feel for the fans but if something needs doing to stop this happening.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
CodHead
July 18, 2019, 8:47pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +158
Quoted from Les Brechin

The only team I'd want to go to the wall are MK Dons. Wouldn't even wish that on Scunny!

Really? Wouldn't surprise me if they end up in financial trouble
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
promotion plaice
July 18, 2019, 8:53pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from CodHead

Same here, I don't get what's in it for Swann being chairman of Scunny???

It must be costing him (his wife) a fortune.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
Poojah
July 18, 2019, 9:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,152
Gold Stars: 1,489
Quoted from CodHead

Oh, I think they’ve been paying a dangerous game personally. In 2016/17 they spent 145% of turnover on wages, just 8% less than the worst offending club - Bolton Wanderers no less:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44850888

I’m fairly sure they’ll have budgeted on a promotion push last year, not relegation, so it could have been worse still. For what it’s worth, I can see them doing alright this season but you never know; a couple of years floundering in the League Two wilderness and things could turn sour very fast.

I’m by no means wishing a financial implosion upon them, like Les I reserve that for Milton Keynes and Milton Keynes alone. But I don’t think it’s an unfair observation.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 15
White_shorts
July 19, 2019, 2:28pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -598
Gold Stars: 9
Hold on. Fenty gets a lot of stick on here for not investing in the team to get us promoted from League Two, but now we're praising him for not operating beyond the club's means? Make your flipping mind up.

In case you have forgotten, Tranmere and Lincoln are in League One.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 15
KingstonMariner
July 19, 2019, 2:39pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from White_shorts
Hold on. Fenty gets a lot of stick on here for not investing in the team to get us promoted from League Two, but now we're praising him for not operating beyond the club's means? Make your flipping mind up.

In case you have forgotten, Tranmere and Lincoln are in League One.

If you bothered to pay attention to what individual people say rather than taking a broad brush approach, you might find you're mixing up different people's opinions.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 15
Gaffer58
July 19, 2019, 3:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
So that's both Bolton and Bury docked points before the season kicks off, basically that's 2 of the 4 relegation places in division 1 practically sorted.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 15
Les Brechin
July 19, 2019, 4:53pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from Gaffer58
So that's both Bolton and Bury docked points before the season kicks off, basically that's 2 of the 4 relegation places in division 1 practically sorted.

Similar to what I thought the season Luton started on -30 and Bournemouth and Rotherham on -17. It was only because Chester were so excrement that we stayed up that season, delaying the inevitable.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 15
Abdul19
July 19, 2019, 6:07pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Quoted from Les Brechin

Similar to what I thought the season Luton started on -30 and Bournemouth and Rotherham on -17. It was only because Chester were so excrement that we stayed up that season, delaying the inevitable.

A bit different though with there only being 2 spots - Bournemouth started that season on -17 but out the relegation zone!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bolton Wanderers

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.