Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 2 weeks to go......
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 243 Guests

2 weeks to go......

This thread currently has 6,762 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
monkeyboy
July 19, 2019, 7:04am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Only thing that worries me is the same as last year, no one in centre mid that can spread the ball around.

But at least we have the option of Hanson if we need to change upto long ball if not creative enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
GrimRob
July 19, 2019, 8:11am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Last season we had two good months and the rest was fairly poor. So the 17th is fairly misleading because it's an average of two extremes. Ever since Jolley came we seem to either be on a good run or a terrible one. I expect more of the same but let's hope for a good run first  

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 25
Northbank Mariner
July 19, 2019, 8:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from GrimRob
Last season we had two good months and the rest was fairly poor. So the 17th is fairly misleading because it's an average of two extremes. Ever since Jolley came we seem to either be on a good run or a terrible one. I expect more of the same but let's hope for a good run first  

He's a streaky manager Rob, just hoping for more consistent performances this season...
Be good to see some more of our youths come the fore and kick on this season too, certainly Wright, Rose and Pollock...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
jock dock tower
July 19, 2019, 11:55am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
I'd like to think that experience Jolley will undoubtedly have garnered last season will stand him, and us, in good stead this year. If we get rid of the really poor runs there's no reason at all to think that we should not be an upper half of the table club, build on that again at the end of the season, and move on to being promotion contenders for 2020-21?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
jock dock tower
July 19, 2019, 11:55am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
I'd like to think that experience Jolley will undoubtedly have garnered last season will stand him, and us, in good stead this year. If we get rid of the really poor runs there's no reason at all to think that we should not be an upper half of the table club, build on that again at the end of the season, and move on to being promotion contenders for 2020-21?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
forza ivano
July 19, 2019, 1:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
think we are definitely lacking some midfield creativity unless he's expecting Ogbu (with Wright as back up) to be the main creator, just in a different way to Embleton.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
Lincoln Mariner 56
July 19, 2019, 2:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from forza ivano
think we are definitely lacking some midfield creativity unless he's expecting Ogbu (with Wright as back up) to be the main creator, just in a different way to Embleton.

Would agree with that and think Whitehouse will get up & down the pitch, score a few goals but from what my Imp supporting mates say will not be the creative midfielder we require. I half expect that as with Embleton this role will be filled by a loan signing towards the end of the window so let’s hope we get the right guy in once again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
Maringer
July 19, 2019, 4:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,411
Gold Stars: 184
As I've noted before, do we really desperately require a creative midfielder? Most teams at this level don't have a playmaker type (the likes of Sweeney shows what can happen if you try this!) but, providing the midfielders can pass the ball accurately and quickly to the more attacking players and get up and down the pitch well, that's most of the job done.

You could never claim that the Cockerill/Cunnington combination were in any way creative but they were pretty effective in what was an excellent passing team.

Clifton, Hessenthaler and (I assume) Whitehouse are all decent with the ball at their feet so I'd hope that better attacking players and a higher-tempo to our play will make us much more of a threat next season, even if we're not threading intricate passes through defences. Heck, that's not Hanson's game in any case. I assume we'll be trying to get into the corners behind the opposition defence to either put crosses in or attempt to win corners/long throws. When we have players who are as strong in the air as Hanson and Ohman, you've got to expect that set pieces are going to be a big part of things this next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
LondonMariner43
July 19, 2019, 6:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
I’ve seen some great midfielders for Town - Waters, Groves, Pouton etc but were they creative.  The had great engines on them, played box to box, strong in the tackle, bags of desire and scored goals.  They weren’t a Glen Hoddle, picking out the masterful pass.  In any case, that kind of player needs forwards smart enough to anticipate with a run.

We need midfielders who can win the ball, push play up the pitch, pass out wide to a wing back or winger who can put in a cross and forwards who know where the goal is.

Let’s not over complicate it.  We are Div 4 not Champions League.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
Rik e B
July 19, 2019, 6:23pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
I'd rather gave grafters who do the simple stuff right, not a Sweeney-like lazy showboater. Let's face it if they're highly skilled creativity wise and plying their trade in League 2, there's gotta be flaws in other parts of their game. Usually application, determination, fitness etc. See Scott Neilson also.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 2 weeks to go......

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.