Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › 2 weeks to go......
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 219 Guests

2 weeks to go......

This thread currently has 6,735 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
July 18, 2019, 6:33am
Guest User
Until the curtain raiser v Morecambe......

To achieve the takeover as reported.....

To bring in any remaining signings.....

Let’s hope we’ve got something to smile about with the latter two!!

UTM
buckstown
July 18, 2019, 3:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,123
Gold Stars: 77
I want to be excited and positive but my normal pre season wave of optimism has dwindled away over the last few years. Last time I looked we were third favourites for relegation and the bookies rarely get it badly wrong, so I fear another long hard battle near the drop zone.
I'm sure Hanson and Green will take more of the chances we make, but the issue for me remains creativity at one end and keeping clean sheets at the other. Hope I'm very wrong
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
mariner91
July 18, 2019, 3:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,255
Gold Stars: 253
Goals against wasn't actually a problem last season. In the bottom half only one side let in fewer than us and we also conceded the same amount as second place Bury. We actually had the 11th best defence in the league. Our issue was we had the 21st worst attack. Only three teams failed to score more than us and one of them went down.

We have basically the same defence. McKeown is a good goalkeeper for L2. Hendrie is an excellent right back. Ohman and Davis are both okay and hopefully Gibson will be decent. I think we could do with a centre back who is better than Ohman and Davis but neither Whitmore or Collins were particularly spectacular last season to the point where they are huge losses.

Up front we've lost Thomas who scored almost a quarter of our goals which is a blow. But we've added a proven player at this level in Green who will, if he stays fit, probably get us around the same amount of goals that Thomas did but will also work much harder than he did. Hanson will be a big improvement if we can keep him fit as not only do we suddenly have an aerial threat but the ball might also stick a bit more up front which was half the problem last season. He'll create space for others which we didn't have last season. The other positive is Ogbu and Max Wright who both have the potential to be quite exciting, attacking players. They might both flop but I'd be willing to bet that at least one of them proves quite useful. They're certainly different to anything we had last season as they're willing to run at their man and beat them. We could definitely do with another central midfielder although I think Hess is a great player to play the holding role at this level and Clifton and Whitehouse aren't bad players either. If we sign a good centre back and a good central midfielder I think we'll have a good season.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
paramariner
July 18, 2019, 5:14pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +168
Gold Stars: 7
Well the bookie's certainly got it wrong about Notts. 😜
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
dapperz fun pub
July 18, 2019, 9:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from mariner91
Goals against wasn't actually a problem last season. In the bottom half only one side let in fewer than us and we also conceded the same amount as second place Bury. We actually had the 11th best defence in the league. Our issue was we had the 21st worst attack. Only three teams failed to score more than us and one of them went down.

We have basically the same defence. McKeown is a good goalkeeper for L2. Hendrie is an excellent right back. Ohman and Davis are both okay and hopefully Gibson will be decent. I think we could do with a centre back who is better than Ohman and Davis but neither Whitmore or Collins were particularly spectacular last season to the point where they are huge losses.

Up front we've lost Thomas who scored almost a quarter of our goals which is a blow. But we've added a proven player at this level in Green who will, if he stays fit, probably get us around the same amount of goals that Thomas did but will also work much harder than he did. Hanson will be a big improvement if we can keep him fit as not only do we suddenly have an aerial threat but the ball might also stick a bit more up front which was half the problem last season. He'll create space for others which we didn't have last season. The other positive is Ogbu and Max Wright who both have the potential to be quite exciting, attacking players. They might both flop but I'd be willing to bet that at least one of them proves quite useful. They're certainly different to anything we had last season as they're willing to run at their man and beat them. We could definitely do with another central midfielder although I think Hess is a great player to play the holding role at this level and Clifton and Whitehouse aren't bad players either. If we sign a good centre back and a good central midfielder I think we'll have a good season.

Very fair assessment imo
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
sydney
July 18, 2019, 9:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +994
Gold Stars: 2
Long Season Ahead 😢
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
Poojah
July 18, 2019, 10:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,151
Gold Stars: 1,490
League Two is notoriously difficult to call; not many would have had Notts County to go down or Accrington to go up in the past couple of seasons. That said, the core of our squad (roughly two thirds) is made up of what we had last season, and the reality is that's a core that finished 17th last season.

I'd argue that 17th was probably below par and based on the ability in the squad we should probably have been pushing closer to mid-table; had it not been for a dismal start we probably would. That said, I'd probably counter that by suggesting that the league as a whole looks stronger this year; the likes of Salford who came up have been spending and will continue to spend big and I think three of the four sides who came down from League One were touching mid-table points-wise with only a couple of games to go and were only relegated on the final day.

From last season we've lost experience in Danny Collins, our best striker in Wes Thomas and our only real creative outlet in Embleton. We do certainly seem to have a stronger looking attacking options this season which as already called out, and Hanson in paricular gives us a dimension we were so obviously lacking last year. As it stands, we haven't replaced Collins (or Whitmore for that matter) and we have a solid looking midfield but one devoid of any standout creativity. Still time for that to be addressed of course.

On the whole, I'm relatively pleased with our recruitment without being wildly excited by any singing in particular. The likes of Ogbu, Wright and Rose could all prove to be wildcards though at the same time all three are as of now unproven in senior English football. Vernam didn't fulfill his potential last season so there's something else we could add to our threat if he can stay fit and on form but already as early as pre-season there are signs he may not be able to.

I'd love to predict a promotion push this season but if you compare our squad to those of the favourites this season we look some way short to me - the likes of Bradford, Scunny, Mansfield, Salford and Northampton all look particularly strong.

On balance, we look marginally stronger I'd say, but in generally more competitive division. My prediction: somewhere between 12th and 15th. Probably loosely in line with where our budget sits in the league. A couple of big signings between now and deadline day might change that prediction, but as it stands things appear to be quiet on that front.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
mimma
July 18, 2019, 10:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
Lost Embleton but gained Whitehouse so, to me, that balances out.

Some are saying that he won't be match fit, but nobody will, it's the close season and we haven't had a game for a couple of months.

We have a proper league 2 centre forward who can hold the ball up. A proven goalscorer who has pace, and I think that Max Wright is going to come in and will be a star for us. All of this is what we lacked last season, so adding to the good bits we had will make us a force to be reckoned with.

Have faith

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
HertsGTFC
July 19, 2019, 6:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,650
Gold Stars: 217
Still think we are a few players short of a squad to provide some form of consistency never mind be competitive and we’re going to have the annual last minute scramble for free agents again I reckon.

Looking at the overall picture in reality that is to be expected all I hope is that MJ has improved the mid field and attack so that we can get more players and quality balls into the opposition penalty area.

On paper we look stronger in some areas, overall I’m optimistic and would settle for some more goals, less runs without scoring/winning and a top half finish.

L2 is a funny league to call but I still think we are a couple of years and a takeover away from being in a position where we can be competitive for promotion.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
LondonMariner43
July 19, 2019, 6:56am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64
Try comparing the team that started against FGR last August with likely starters this time.  Only McKeown, Clifton and Cook are still at the club.  I’d like to think we will not start with a 1-4 defeat this year
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › 2 weeks to go......

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.