Bigdog
July 17, 2019, 11:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from rancido

I feel for anybody with these problems. I had a sub total colectomy 21 years ago to remove a bowel cancer. The first couple of years were surreal , constantly wondering if it would return and every abdominal pain freaking me out. I'm still here and never think about it now.

Sorry to hear of your problems mate and pleased you've survived to tell the tale. This thread proves that we're all part of the GTFC family whether we agree about things or go hammer and tongs from opposite points of view.

To avoid or reduce further symptoms and pain, I've always drank loads of water (well above the daily recommended amount) to keep the digestive system from getting dehydrated in any way and stayed away from fizzy soft drinks, seems to help a great deal.

The lad from Newcastle also seems a decent signing on paper by the way..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 74
Rik e B
July 18, 2019, 12:19am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Thanks again all, to link back to the actual footy subject of this thread, for me it goes to show how this young man's brave battle and determination to still succeed in professional football can not only be an inspiration but also help raise awareness of such issues.

People talk of footballers as role models, but this guy is the real deal on that front.

Who knows, hopefully in my friends particular case it turns out to be nothing, but the raising of awareness that has caused people to open up about could have a knock on effect and maybe save a life!

I might be being melodramatic, but like many sufferers of mental illness say Tyson Fury's comeback from the abyss has inspired and saved them so the seeds of positivity laid by this young man could blossom into quite an amazing outcome if someone was to get diagnosed and saved earlier as a result.

Of course he needs to do the business on the pitch but I'll be viewing him fondly from the start and as such will be giving him a bit of leeway before lambasting him as garbage (not that I'm quick to do so most the time and certainly not one to heckle).

Peace. 🙏
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 74
rancido
July 18, 2019, 1:13pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Bigdog

Sorry to hear of your problems mate and pleased you've survived to tell the tale. This thread proves that we're all part of the GTFC family whether we agree about things or go hammer and tongs from opposite points of view.

To avoid or reduce further symptoms and pain, I've always drunk loads of water (well above the daily recommended amount) to keep the digestive system from getting dehydrated in any way and stayed away from fizzy soft drinks, seems to help a great deal.

The lad from Newcastle also seems a decent signing on paper by the way..

Thanx for that , Bigdog and if nothing else, this thread has demonstrated how many people are affected by these problems. Like you say, as far as GTFC is concerned , we all want the same thing but there are varying opinions on what the root cause is and how to remedy it. It's good to have opinions and express them, likewise it is wrong to berate someone because their view differs from your own.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 74
TownSNAFU5
July 18, 2019, 2:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,877
Gold Stars: 42
Delays in diagnosis can sometimes be fatal.  The private option should at least be considered. 17 years ago my wife could not wait for a NHS consultant for a respiratory problem.  Her GP sent off a referral for a private consultant (who also worked at the local hospital).

A diagnosis took 1 appointment after a few tests.  The cost was about £150.  As we then had a diagnosis, she jumped the NHS queue to see a hospital consultant (which can be the same consultant as seen privately).

The best money ever spent. Current initial costs are likely to be lower than an iPhone purchase.  Your health is paramount - as shown above in many difficult issues that posters are living with.

(My wife now has a chronic and progressing lung disease.  Despite never smoking.  We had to go down the private route as the GP’s were dire.  Expensive but the rare diagnosis and treatment were first class and timely.  Even if we had to go to Leeds  each time.  Best use of inherited money we have made.  Would do the same again even if on a credit card).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 74
acko338
July 18, 2019, 3:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,222
Gold Stars: 33
Back to Liam Gibson - welcome, and I hope that you are able to overcome a horrid health problem and be able to play on a more consistent level as you gain strength. This may be a fair level to test yourself and sincerely hope that you have a successful period with us and consider staying longer if everything works out ok.

We are fickle fans but the length of thread with so many sufferers should help you to be given time and consideration in your quest to stay as a full time footballer.

Greedily we all hope you smash it and become a fan favourite !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Signing 5 imminent

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.