Ipswin
July 17, 2019, 3:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Rik e B
A close friend has had a lump discovered in their bowels but NHS can't look at till April 2020! I'm kinda hoping it's something like this and not cancer, not that I know what's worse, any advice what to do in the meantime welcome

Kick bottom (excuse the pun) and carry on kicking bottom until it gets sorted.

You say a lump has already been found so I assume a colonoscopy has already been done and what the 'lump' is should therefore already be known as they will have taken a biopsy. If the delay is a colonoscopy appointment its ridiculous, you can get one at a weeks notice. Where on earth does your friend live?

If there is any possibility at all that the lump is cancerous there is no way that a date any further ahead than 4 weeks can be given. The NHS are now enjoined to commence cancer treatment within 4 weeks of diagnosis. Perhaps therefore it will give your friend confidence that it is not cancer.

I was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer in January 2015 and commenced chemo in mid March with a stoma op six months later. The delay was sadly my fault not going to my doctor earlier and it spread to my liver (and now my lungs) but at all times treatment was timely as the NHS cancer targets are now mostly adhered to.(but still perhaps dependent on where you live unfortunately)

Whatever you friends problem even if it's not cancer  it cannot and must not take until April next year to treat (or worse diagnose) Get in there and bang the flipping desk until they do something, don't wait!

Note to mods Sorry this is getting a bit 'non-footy' but if it saves someones life...

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 74
Les Brechin
July 17, 2019, 3:33pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,701
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Rik e B
A close friend has had a lump discovered in their bowels but NHS can't look at till April 2020! I'm kinda hoping it's something like this and not cancer, not that I know what's worse, any advice what to do in the meantime welcome

That's a disgraceful waiting time for any kind of treatment. As Ipswin says your friend need to seriously get onto someone about this.  I'd also recommend contacting PALS. https://www.nhs.uk/common-heal.....and-liaison-service/

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 74
July 17, 2019, 3:55pm
Guest User
Quoted from Perkins
Strangely this week has brought back memories (not good) of my first operation for Crohns. I was recovering in hospital and laid in bed watching the first moon landing on b&w TV.  Fifty years ago this week. Seventy one now and still kicking. You cant cure it but you can control it.and live with it.
Best wishes to all fellow sufferers.

Oh my I was 12 yrs old I weighed just over two stone, I'd been in hospital since March, the Consultant came to me and said the biopsy we took shows UC, what was on TV at the time, yes the moon landings. Wow.
My worst days were as much as 80 times a day to the toilet, better days 12-15. Up and down all night.
Got lucky was operated on in London on boxing day 1971, an emergency op.
Reply: 52 - 74
Rik e B
July 17, 2019, 4:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
There is no diagnosis as yet, this person went in about some problems and a lump was discovered in bowels amongst other issues - I'm not sure how it was found. They have been referred to Gastroenterology-Medicine-DPOW Hospital Grimsby-RJL30 but have been told they stacked out till April 2020.

If it is cancer that likely a death sentence was my thought on hearing.

I'll try find out more, obviously this a very private matter and the person in question probably wouldn't be too happy if knew about this here as told me in confidence, one of only three people. But advice is very helpful.

Again sorry Rob, but traffic is very low on non-footy section, or perhaps a health concern and support thread could be started. Many people with lots of wisdom on these matters here.

Just makes you realise how some things are so much more important than football, we argue and bicker ripping pieces out of the likes of Swin without a thought for what people are going through. Of course it's a football forum and debate is good and shouldn't be stifled, but it just makes you realise.

Thanks to everybody, and all the best with your own issues.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 74
Les Brechin
July 17, 2019, 4:23pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,701
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Rik e B

Just makes you realise how some things are so much more important than football, we argue and bicker ripping pieces out of the likes of Swin without a thought for what people are going through. Of course it's a football forum and debate is good and shouldn't be stifled, but it just makes you realise.

So true. I used to just go about life without many cares in the world, until I was told I had a brain tumour. It's one of those things that you know about but you think just happens to someone else. Thankfully after 7 operations over almost 4 years I am now totally tumour free, although I do have part of my skull missing now,  and I'm back to living my life how I used to, albeit having to take anti-seizure tablets every day, but I certainly don't take anything for granted these days like I used to.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 74
Ipswin
July 17, 2019, 4:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rik e B
There is no diagnosis as yet, this person went in about some problems and a lump was discovered in bowels amongst other issues - I'm not sure how it was found. They have been referred to Gastroenterology-Medicine-DPOW Hospital Grimsby-RJL30 but have been told they stacked out till April 2020.

If it is cancer that likely a death sentence was my thought on hearing.

I'll try find out more, obviously this a very private matter and the person in question probably wouldn't be too happy if knew about this here as told me in confidence, one of only three people. But advice is very helpful.

Again sorry Rob, but traffic is very low on non-footy section, or perhaps a health concern and support thread could be started. Many people with lots of wisdom on these matters here.

Tell your mate to start making noises NOW, I can't believe there are no colonoscopy appts. until April! Thats total balderdash.

Private Message
Reply: 55 - 74
SuperJoeyWaters
July 17, 2019, 4:44pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +45
I too have Crohns in the ileum. Was diagnosed in 1986 and had 26cm of my bowel removed. I still take daily medication and have regular check ups at the hospital every 6 months. I have a completely normal life except no spicy food  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 74
LH
July 17, 2019, 4:50pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,503
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from Ipswin

Tell your mate to start making noises NOW, I can't believe there are no colonoscopy appts. until April! Thanks total balderdash.

I had a four month wait for an initial appointment with that department. In the time waiting my symptoms mostly cleared! It’s one of the departments that is shared across the whole of North Lincs so they’re only at Gy maybe once a week or maybe even a fortnight.

Anyway - excrement thread this.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 74
Rik e B
July 17, 2019, 5:24pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Sorry to keep going on but can one request an appointment elsewhere if say are willing to travel? Or is it a postcode lottery type thing with the NHS?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 74
Ipswin
July 17, 2019, 6:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rik e B
Sorry to keep going on but can one request an appointment elsewhere if say are willing to travel? Or is it a postcode lottery type thing with the NHS?

I don't know mate but going private for a colonoscopy might be an idea. The treatment once diagnosed could be (and should be on the NHS but an early diagnosis is vital - whatever it is)

I lost 25cms of bowel, suffered a stoma for a year and now have a bowel which does its own thing periodically resulting in multi bathroom trips some days, how I wish I'd been diagnosed sooner.

Drag your mate there if necessary, amazing how appointments appear when the cash is produced

Private Message
Reply: 59 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Signing 5 imminent

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.