Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Plan to Build New Ground at Docks.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 224 Guests

Plan to Build New Ground at Docks.

This thread currently has 45,425 views. Print
21 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
July 15, 2019, 2:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from mimma
There are some photographs showing it as going on Murry Street where the old fish pontoon use to be in the Telegraph article.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/new-grimsby-town-stadium-docks-3089494

That for me is one thing any new ground must encompass a Pontoon stand behind one of the goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 209
barralad
July 15, 2019, 3:07pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Mallyner
I am sure many people have mooted the docks in the past; and JF said there wasn't enough room for the ground.  

I know one thing, that car park is going to be blooming bleak in the winter.

However, I am happy to support the new ground either there or on Freemo.  

I've always understood that the issue with the Docks was A.B.P.'s reluctance to consider the land for re-development.
Like everyone else on here I'm just surmising but here we go. We know that the regeneration money cannot be used to build an actual stadium for a private enterprise. However I'd bet hard cash on it being able to be used to facilitate the infra-structure to support development i.e. roads, car parks, pavements etc. If not then money from other council funding could be used? Loads of places have "reclaimed" docklands. St Andrews Quay in Hull was docks once (not that I'm suggesting building the ground on stilts!)
Middlesbrough is a strange one. I'd love to know why they haven't developed further. I've never been to The Riverside. Does the club have bar facilities/cafes built into the outside of the ground? If so then they may have tried cornering the market supported by Premiership/Championship sized crowds. If we get the stadium built on docks land then surely the vision would accommodate the opportunity/room to build supporting businesses who would probably be falling over each other to get a slice of that particular pie? Look at the Cleethorpes area around the "anchor" that is the Parkway cinema complex.
I'm no expert in business but given the pathetic interest that my ISA gives me I cannot imagine there would be many better times to borrow money for such a project.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 209
coddy60
July 15, 2019, 3:26pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from barralad

I've always understood that the issue with the Docks was A.B.P.'s reluctance to consider the land for re-development.
Like everyone else on here I'm just surmising but here we go. We know that the regeneration money cannot be used to build an actual stadium for a private enterprise. However I'd bet hard cash on it being able to be used to facilitate the infra-structure to support development i.e. roads, car parks, pavements etc. If not then money from other council funding could be used? Loads of places have "reclaimed" docklands. St Andrews Quay in Hull was docks once (not that I'm suggesting building the ground on stilts!)
Middlesbrough is a strange one. I'd love to know why they haven't developed further. I've never been to The Riverside. Does the club have bar facilities/cafes built into the outside of the ground? If so then they may have tried cornering the market supported by Premiership/Championship sized crowds. If we get the stadium built on docks land then surely the vision would accommodate the opportunity/room to build supporting businesses who would probably be falling over each other to get a slice of that particular pie? Look at the Cleethorpes area around the "anchor" that is the Parkway cinema complex.
I'm no expert in business but given the pathetic interest that my ISA gives me I cannot imagine there would be many better times to borrow money for such a project.

The bars and restaurants at the Riverside are a short walk away, not on site as such. Can see the Ice factory being developed to something like the Printworks in Manchester though, should be a good fit...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 209
barralad
July 15, 2019, 3:36pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from coddy60

The bars and restaurants at the Riverside are a short walk away, not on site as such. Can see the Ice factory being developed to something like the Printworks in Manchester though, should be a good fit...

There you go...certainly not a dig at you but I hope any would be developers have more imagination than some of the posters on here

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 209
Les Brechin
July 15, 2019, 3:50pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from coddy60

Now that would be something, The Printworks is a great place.

I remember back to our time in The Conference. We were away at Hyde and went there before the game. Man City were at home to Ajax in The Champions League the same night and we went into The 7 Stars, Wetherspoons in The Printworks.  The upstairs was absolutely packed and rocking  with Ajax fans. Some right dodgy looking geezers in there too. They were making a right racket but I don't think any member of staff dare warn them to calm down.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 209
grimsby pete
July 15, 2019, 3:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
I have just worked it out on my abacus that if one man and his dog with a spade and a trowel started work when we were first told we were having a new stadium.

He would have finished it by last Friday so we could start the new season in our new stadium in comfort.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 209
Kris2
July 15, 2019, 4:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Has anyone made any pretty pictures yet of what this new ground will look like? Can put it up in the boardroom with the rest of them in a nice frame.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 209
forza ivano
July 15, 2019, 4:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Les Brechin

Now that would be something, The Printworks is a great place.

I remember back to our time in The Conference. We were away at Hyde and went there before the game. Man City were at home to Ajax in The Champions League the same night and we went into The 7 Stars, Wetherspoons in The Printworks.  The upstairs was absolutely packed and rocking  with Ajax fans. Some right dodgy looking geezers in there too. They were making a right racket but I don't think any member of staff dare warn them to calm down.  

The Custard Factory in Birmingham is another good example , whilst i understand Liverpool Docks have been transformed into something of a 'destination'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 209
thevera
July 15, 2019, 4:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +991
Gold Stars: 5
I am still not exactly sure where they mean. I would think access would have to be from Riby Square with a new road layout because traffic has to cross the railway somehow. It is either that or entry from the Humber Street end and back round Marsden Road. The land behind the Dock Offices they mention is between the Royal Dock and Fish Dock One, not far from the treasured Ice Factory leading on to Fish Dock Road. If this means bulldozing some of the crappy old buildings there then do it! ABP probably thinks it’s a better deal than spending money on them.

There was a lot of correspondence in the GT, in the halcyon days before the Daily Mirror put a stop to such fun, about the name Kasbah. It was made up by some bright spark researcher, probably not even Grimbarian, when one of the self-appointed committees for saving all Victorian brickwork was making a submission for money. They couldn’t even spell it properly.  The cub reporters on the GT were not Grimbarian either and grabbed this to cut and paste into the Telegraph which still thinks there really was such a place.

This plan shows the layout of the Port at the moment and although most are saying it is to be on No.3 Dock I think it is actually No. 2 Dock, which along with a lot of nearby land is now derelict. I wonder if the railway line could be re-routed for a short stretch from Humber Street area so it runs  to the north of the stadium and then links back up again somewhere around the flyover. This would then release a load more land to the south of the stadium up to the Health Club on Riby Street to create access and allow room for Car Parking Bars etc. There would also be a lot more available land to the south east from Humber Street to the stadium between Murray Street and Riby Street. Also if you move the railway line before it reaches Humber Street the unsafe bridge can come down.

https://www.abports.co.uk/media/bwol3bn1/humber-port-of-grimsby.pdf
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 209
acko338
July 15, 2019, 5:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
The port will be open to the public, so that's blown all site security, not that the gatehouse does a lot currently !!

Will ABP then hold all of the future aces for fan access, whereas Freemo would be freely open for business all through the week and hopefully resurrect a poorer area??

No paid for design artists' impressions at huge expense to be discarded when the new scheme goes cold ??

Just cynical from Telegraph exclusives that disappear - by the way, what's on at the Riverhead Bus Station Cinema this week??

Like the plans - nothing !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 209
21 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Plan to Build New Ground at Docks.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.