moosey_club
July 14, 2019, 10:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from rancido

While I agree with the point of your thread, the reality is that it is almost impossible to stop " bigger clubs " poaching talent from smaller clubs. They can offer better terms and facilities than we can and that is a fact. It's also easier to turn the head of a young player in making them think that the future is brighter elsewhere. You also have the appeal ( for a lot of youngsters at least ) of moving to a bigger town or city that has a better nightlife and social facilities. As long as we can consistently produce young players and turn a profit on them then surely that is good for the club. There is also the possibility of one or two being local and wanting to play for us as their " home club ".

to be honest  not sure how militant we can be with how the acadamy is now linked or funded, seem to remember an article somewhere that pretty much gives "free" pickings for any player that is part of registered acadamy (? or something) all in the name of making the England squad better.......  but i would just like the club to say ....fck off he is contracted to us......in this case that might not have been possible if he hadnt actually signed pro terms but Burrell and Curran have gone without really benefitting the team and for potential pittance depending on how they progress.
Just a shame we might not be seeing the fruits of our own system now that we are back in the League

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 51
diehardmariner
July 15, 2019, 10:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,091
Gold Stars: 520
I think that's about the cut of it.  We get funding in the form of breadcrumbs falling off the big table.  In turn the bigger clubs can cherry pick what they want off us for a pittance.  

Very frustrating and the reason that a number of clubs have axed their youth set-up as a result.  Walsall and Brentford are two teams that spring to mind.  

I suppose if we continue to develop young talent, it'll help establish links with bigger clubs and you can only hope that we would receive some sort of kick-back for doing their hard work for them, be it loan deals or steering players towards us who haven't quite made their grade.  

Not ideal, not what I want to see in the game but it's sadly the current state of play.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.