6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
July 13, 2019, 10:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Clubs like our rear their own talent for one reason and one reason only to sell on. To think that clubs in the  bottom half of L2  bring on youngsters to help climb the leagues is a nice thought but in reality not in line with the current game.

Looking at where we are now to get cash for the likes of Burrell who came on a few times and ran around a bit and Curran who has only just signed his first pro deal is well worth co considering if it helps bring in half decent experienced striker on a 2 year deal.    

Not a popular opinion I know but it's one that reflects the current reality.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 51
jamesgtfc
July 13, 2019, 10:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Abdul19

Yes, it seems to be widely believed that fatty Fry's attempts were successful for some reason. (I'm fairly sure the sell on showed in the 11-12 accounts?)

I am sure I recall reading/hearing at the time from Fenty's mouth that we played an instrumental role in the deal going through.  That instrumental role could have been a delay on the money coming our way, I'm not sure.

Fry is certainly slippery.  I wonder how many times he has got away with cancelling sell on clauses over the years?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 51
Abdul19
July 13, 2019, 11:05pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
There was some extra confusion over whatever this was about (I remember we didn't get whatever it was): https://www.peterboroughtoday......ansfer-fee-1-6446671 , but we received the actual sell on.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 51
July 14, 2019, 5:53am
Guest User
I don’t think Jock actually signed a Pro deal with us. The reports that I have seen only suggest that it was offered.

????
Reply: 43 - 51
lukeo
July 14, 2019, 6:38am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
Quoted from 1542
I don’t think Jock actually signed a Pro deal with us. The reports that I have seen only suggest that it was offered.

????

This, I wonder if he knew he was being watched and has held off signing?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 51
Swansea_Mariner
July 14, 2019, 9:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
TBH I  can't see Jolley allowing him to return to training let alone participate in pre-season games if he was umming and arring  about signing a contract.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 51
pen penfras
July 14, 2019, 10:15am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
TBH I  can't see Jolley allowing him to return to training let alone participate in pre-season games if he was umming and arring  about signing a contract.

Why wouldn't he? If we offered him a contract but he had interest from elsewhere, it's entirely within his rights to consider what is best for his future. Also, if we don't allow him to train, then that would essentially mean we are releasing him and not due any compensation for him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 51
itsnotcoditshaddock
July 14, 2019, 10:42am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +312
Quoted from lukeo

This, I wonder if he knew he was being watched and has held off signing?

The season ticket renewal pack booklet has a small section on the youngsters and says he signed in May.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 51
rancido
July 14, 2019, 12:13pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from moosey_club
Whether we get a fee, whether it proves enough or not in the long term we can only wait and see....my bigger worry is that this is the second of the more fancied players in our youth/ yt progamme to be sold on.....i thought Jolley would be keen to bring these through and develop them with his background and the recent opportunities given to other youngsters....disappointing for me and hopefully not a trend that will continue.

While I agree with the point of your thread, the reality is that it is almost impossible to stop " bigger clubs " poaching talent from smaller clubs. They can offer better terms and facilities than we can and that is a fact. It's also easier to turn the head of a young player in making them think that the future is brighter elsewhere. You also have the appeal ( for a lot of youngsters at least ) of moving to a bigger town or city that has a better nightlife and social facilities. As long as we can consistently produce young players and turn a profit on them then surely that is good for the club. There is also the possibility of one or two being local and wanting to play for us as their " home club ".

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 51
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 14, 2019, 1:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from rancido

While I agree with the point of your thread, the reality is that it is almost impossible to stop " bigger clubs " poaching talent from smaller clubs. They can offer better terms and facilities than we can and that is a fact. It's also easier to turn the head of a young player in making them think that the future is brighter elsewhere. You also have the appeal ( for a lot of youngsters at least ) of moving to a bigger town or city that has a better nightlife and social facilities. As long as we can consistently produce young players and turn a profit on them then surely that is good for the club. There is also the possibility of one or two being local and wanting to play for us as their " home club ".

This has always been the case, maybe the difference is that the bigger clubs pick up players younger and that is an issue. At least when we were selling on the likes of Jimmy Fell, Brian Hill, Kev Moore, Kev Drinkell, John Oster etc..... we had a few games out of them first. They were the finished article.  I think we have to sell and needs must - if it is Curran for a few quid then it opens a porthole for another kid. But it does rankle if we don’t see the fruits of Woods’ labours grace the first team, at least for a short time, before moving on.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jock Curran

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.