This thread currently has 13,636 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Pogo
July 13, 2019, 11:20am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +139
Quoted from grimsby pete
Don't forget we only got Bennett because Ipswich did not think he was good enough,

Where are they now  ?    

In league 1.. the league above us...still...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 51
Bigdog
July 13, 2019, 11:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Rik e B

Right okay, stand corrected. đź‘Ť

No worries mate.

We'll probably end up with no more than 20k for developing Burrell. If we were getting 100k once a season for a youngster and others made it into our first team squad to hopefully boost their value to far more than 100k, then that would be a fine business model, but in reality bigger teams can pick off our youngsters for peanuts like Boro did and it looks like Forest could well do. They can stockpile all the players they want just in case one makes it to being a Championship player. If not, they can offload the players down the leagues again. The Championship clubs don't suffer, it's peanuts for them, the discarded players will probably land back into League One, League Two or the Conference, so they won't suffer, it's just clubs like ours who'll suffer by not improving our first team through youth policy and by not cashing in on their full worth after completing their professional development with first team football. There's a huge difference between getting 15/20k and 100k for Burrell in a lot of ways..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 51
jimgtfc
July 13, 2019, 11:52am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,009
Gold Stars: 40
I think there’s so many variables when it comes to young players coming through academies. Some players look like world beaters at 16/17 but by 19/20 they’ve not developed or even regressed. I suppose it’s a bit of guess work to the untrained eyes like us or spotting minor characteristics in them for scouts or coaches that indicate wether they will progress or not.

For a selling club like ours it’s about maximising your assets. If players like Jock Curran or Rumarn Burrell stayed with us then then maybe after another year they will have broken into the first team and really developed to the point where they could be worth 10 times the amount we actually got for them, like Ryan Bennett or John Oster. On the other hand they might spend the year playing reserve football and not develop and end up released and at somewhere like Clee Town like Josh Venney or Caine Winfarrah. Looking back now with hindsight, would we have taken £100k for either of them? Of course, but on the flip would we have taken that for Bennett or Oster? Not a chance. It’s a gamble though, and with the likes of Clifton, Wright, Battersby, Pollock, Buckley and Rose all with the first team now as well as cash raised from young players who essentially only cost us a weekly YT wage then I’d say it’s going pretty well.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 51
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 13, 2019, 1:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from jimgtfc
I think there’s so many variables when it comes to young players coming through academies. Some players look like world beaters at 16/17 but by 19/20 they’ve not developed or even regressed. I suppose it’s a bit of guess work to the untrained eyes like us or spotting minor characteristics in them for scouts or coaches that indicate wether they will progress or not.

For a selling club like ours it’s about maximising your assets. If players like Jock Curran or Rumarn Burrell stayed with us then then maybe after another year they will have broken into the first team and really developed to the point where they could be worth 10 times the amount we actually got for them, like Ryan Bennett or John Oster. On the other hand they might spend the year playing reserve football and not develop and end up released and at somewhere like Clee Town like Josh Venney or Caine Winfarrah. Looking back now with hindsight, would we have taken £100k for either of them? Of course, but on the flip would we have taken that for Bennett or Oster? Not a chance. It’s a gamble though, and with the likes of Clifton, Wright, Battersby, Pollock, Buckley and Rose all with the first team now as well as cash raised from young players who essentially only cost us a weekly YT wage then I’d say it’s going pretty well.

There is truth there Jim about maximising assets. I know we keep on about investing but the expenditure on a youth set up can be very high and there are no guarantees. You can be lucky and get 2 or 3 good enough for the first team or unlucky and get none out of a cohort of 2 years junior contracts. Times have changed from the Drinkell/Ford/Moore days too. The money on offer for young kids is far greater now. Who wouldn’t be tempted to have a go at the City Ground for a year or two? In this case the lad’s dad is an ex-pro with a list of clubs longer than a grand slam bridge hand so you can imagine the advice he gets.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 51
Vance Warner
July 13, 2019, 3:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Quoted from Poojah

I’m old enough to remember Croft playing for Town as a youngster but not quite enough to remember the details. I’d always assumed he was a product of our youth system - where had he been prior to that?

Port Vale I believe. Think he came to us on a YTS deal. Happy to be corrected.Think Peter Handyside came at a similar age but not sure where he'd been previously. What a classy pair of defenders before playing out from the back was fashionable!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 51
Vance Warner
July 13, 2019, 3:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Quoted from Bigdog

No worries mate.

We'll probably end up with no more than 20k for developing Burrell. If we were getting 100k once a season for a youngster and others made it into our first team squad to hopefully boost their value to far more than 100k, then that would be a fine business model, but in reality bigger teams can pick off our youngsters for peanuts like Boro did and it looks like Forest could well do. They can stockpile all the players they want just in case one makes it to being a Championship player. If not, they can offload the players down the leagues again. The Championship clubs don't suffer, it's peanuts for them, the discarded players will probably land back into League One, League Two or the Conference, so they won't suffer, it's just clubs like ours who'll suffer by not improving our first team through youth policy and by not cashing in on their full worth after completing their professional development with first team football. There's a huge difference between getting 15/20k and 100k for Burrell in a lot of ways..

Completely agree apart from the bit in bold. Players who could have made 100+ appearance before the age of 20 end up making one or two substitute appearances in the league cup. Players must be aware of this but maybe the lure of a big club and the money is too much to turn down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 51
scrumble
July 13, 2019, 5:32pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from jamesgtfc
We only got ripped off with Bennett when Barry Fry renegotiated the sell on clause.

He tried to renegotiate the sell on clause, offered something like ÂŁ20k to get rid of it, but fortunately Fenty didn't take him up on it

edit: bloody spellcheck

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 51
Abdul19
July 13, 2019, 7:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from scrumble

He tried renegotiate the seem on clause, offered something like ÂŁ20k to get rid of it, but fortunately Fenty didn't take him up on it

Yes, it seems to be widely believed that fatty Fry's attempts were successful for some reason. (I'm fairly sure the sell on showed in the 11-12 accounts?)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 51
moosey_club
July 13, 2019, 8:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Whether we get a fee, whether it proves enough or not in the long term we can only wait and see....my bigger worry is that this is the second of the more fancied players in our youth/ yt progamme to be sold on.....i thought Jolley would be keen to bring these through and develop them with his background and the recent opportunities given to other youngsters....disappointing for me and hopefully not a trend that will continue.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 51
diehardmariner
July 13, 2019, 9:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Regardless of the frustration of the current ease for bigger clubs to cherry pick youth players, the interest alone is another feather in the cap for Neil Woods and all his staff in the youth set-up.  They seem to be developing a nice little reputation as a bit of a finishing school for 16-18 year olds.

Curran has impressed me more with each occasion I've seen him. But he still seems a way off the finished article. It's more his rate of improvement than his present ability that impresses me.    

We stlll have a smallish squad that lacks experienced depth. I don't think we'll be making too many more signings so there should be plenty of opportunities for these young lads..

Be bloody brilliant if there was a point in the season where we had Pollock, Curran, Clifton, Buckley, Wright and Rose all on the pitch at the same time. Maybe even Battersby too.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jock Curran

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.