8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
July 10, 2019, 12:14am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,141
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Bristol Mariner
Brilliant! Maybe some local businesses can sponsor this to increase funds.

They already are. There’s a great trip round Docks Beers with Jolly Macca and pizza plus beer. There are a couple of other big pledges and one excellent pledge that can’t be shared just yet. We’ll keep the info coming. If anyone knows anyone that would sponsor/pledge then point them in our direction.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 74
fleabag1970
July 10, 2019, 8:21am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
I just can't get my head around the fact that a professional lg2 football club which is breaking even profit wise has to rely on its fans to dip into their pockets for a venture like this . Also just by giving a year 6 pupil a shirt doesn't mean he/she will suddenly switch teams . Children can be very funny about what they wear . Before I get a mauling for my opinion iam playing a bit of devils advocate here and I do agree that young fans need engaging.  Just not at my expense .....

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 74
Bigdog
July 10, 2019, 8:40am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Great initiative.. good luck, and hope it will be a successful venture for the long term and a start in the long road of re-engagement..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 74
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 10, 2019, 8:49am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from fleabag1970
I just can't get my head around the fact that a professional lg2 football club which is breaking even profit wise has to rely on its fans to dip into their pockets for a venture like this . Also just by giving a year 6 pupil a shirt doesn't mean he/she will suddenly switch teams . Children can be very funny about what they wear . Before I get a mauling for my opinion iam playing a bit of devils advocate here and I do agree that young fans need engaging.  Just not at my expense .....

Me too. Kids dictate what they like to wear, ask any parent. Just buying kids a shirt is no guarantee of future loyalty and there has to be an incentive, it has to be the fashionable thing to do or some other persuasive reason before they will wholeheartedly participate.  If we want future loyalty, money might be better spent in trying to get reduction in ticket prices for kids. If we must have this gimmick however, then link the two - persuade the club to join in by offering that reduction to kids who wear one of the Town shirts to matches.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 74
1mickylyons
July 10, 2019, 8:51am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
With FOTF seemingly having the backing of the MT and GTFC I would like to see the cost of junior season tickets revised ASAP and klets get the Main Stand or an area packed with youngsters and a paying adult.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 74
diehardmariner
July 10, 2019, 10:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,428
Gold Stars: 532
Great initiative and well done to all involved, but I do have to echo some of the other thoughts around it should go further (and this is down to the club to deliver that part).

Fantastic idea from RRFC about reduced tickets for kids who wear a shirt to the game.  
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 74
Bigdog
July 10, 2019, 10:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162

Me too. Kids dictate what they like to wear, ask any parent. Just buying kids a shirt is no guarantee of future loyalty and there has to be an incentive, it has to be the fashionable thing to do or some other persuasive reason before they will wholeheartedly participate.  If we want future loyalty, money might be better spent in trying to get reduction in ticket prices for kids. If we must have this gimmick however, then link the two - persuade the club to join in by offering that reduction to kids who wear one of the Town shirts to matches.

While I agree with yours and Fleabag's sentiments, someone has to start somewhere and this well meaning group of fans have to be applauded for making a start and launching something that can be built upon. And this is a fact not a crticism, we have a club that does not fully understand the term "long term investment". Its modus operandi is to strip out as much cost as possible to free up playing budget. That's a fair enough policy for the here and now but stretched over a long period it creates large blackholes in current incomes because money wasn't invested in covering eventual future blackholes in support like the decline in younger supporters. The answer is to have the most expensive kids season ticket prices in League Two and hope that the take up covers lessening numbers of purchases. It's not an outward policy trying to widen support, it's milking the remaining diehards for what they can to keep income at a steady level. The 30k represents less than 1% of the club's turnover. Why they can't match the sum themselves and invest in Fans Of The Future, I don't know. A more rounded package could then be offered including a reworking of kids season ticket pricing or a free shirt with a season ticket. Investment is just not in the club's psyche. The cost of essential running repairs like the floodlights and showers at BP are called investment by the club when really they're repairs and renewals that were deemed necessary. Investment is cash introduced into schemes where it's hoped there will be future returns on investment for sums introduced.

Fans Of The Future can't be crticised for having a go at filling voids in our club's operation, it's not their fault, and they must be supported as much as possible for taking a lead. Hopefully it can kickstart something bigger and better with hopefully new custodians. If there's no change at the top, then if we can make it a success, it may trigger our current board into thinking a little deeper into laudible investment rather than just a cut and spend attitude..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 74
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 10, 2019, 11:19am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Bigdog

While I agree with you and Fleabag's sentiments, someone has to start somewhere and this well meaning group of fans have to be applauded for making a start and launching something that can be built upon. And this is a fact not a crticism, we have a club that does not fully understand the term "long term investment". Its modus operandi is to strip out as much cost as possible to free up playing budget. That's a fair enough policy for the here and now but stretched over a long period it creates large blackholes in current incomes because money wasn't invested in covering eventual future blackholes in support like the decline in younger supporters. The answer is to have the most expensive kids season ticket prices in League Two and hope that the take up covers lessening numbers of purchases. It's not an outward policy trying to widen support, it's milking the remaining diehards for what they can to keep income at a steady level. The 30k represents less than 1% of the club's turnover. Why they can't match the sum themselves and invest in Fans Of The Future, I don't know. A more rounded package could then be offered including a reworking of kids season ticket pricing or a free shirt with a season ticket. Investment is just not in the club's psyche. The cost of essential running repairs like the fllodlights and shoers at BP are called investment by the club when really they're repairs and renewals that were deemed necessary. Investment is cash introduced into schemes where it's hoped there will be future returns on investment for sums introduced.

Fans Of The Future can't be crticised for having a go at filling voids in our club's operation, it's not their fault, and they must be supported as much as possible for taking a lead. Hopefully it can kickstart something bigger and better with hopefully new custodians. If there's no change at the top, then if we can make it a success, it may trigger our current board into thinking a little deeper into laudible investment rather than just a cut and spend attitude..

The club will just say “great lads, keep it up, good community spirit chaps!” You might get a better reaction from the club to go the other way round and supporters boycott the purchase and wearing of club shirts until a sensible pricing system is established.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 74
GollyGTFC
July 10, 2019, 2:15pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,973
Gold Stars: 356
Here's the problem though...

League Two under 11's cheapest season ticket prices...

£90 - Mansfield Town (U6s FREE)
£70 - GRIMSBY TOWN
£65 - Plymouth Argyle (U8s £10)
£62.50 - Salford City
£59 - Leyton Orient
£50 - Stevenage (includes replica shirt)
£50 - Northampton Town (U7s FREE)
£46 - Exeter City
£45 - Cheltenham Town (includes replica shirt)
£30 - Swindon Town
£30 - Macclesfield Town
£26 - Newport County (U6s FREE)
£25 - Bradford City
£20 - Crawley Town
£10 - Cambridge United
£10 - Forest Green Rovers
£10 - Carlisle United (U7s FREE)
FREE* - Walsall (additional U11s £99)
FREE* - Morecambe (additional U11s £50)
FREE* - Oldham Athletic (additional U11s £48 / U5s FREE)
FREE* - Crewe Alexandra (additional U11s £46)
FREE* - Colchester United (additional U11s £26.50)
FREE* - Scunthorpe United (third U11s £60)
FREE* - Port Vale

*FREE when purchased with an adult ST)

Not good at all for a club like Grimsby, in a low income area, to be so expensive.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 74
Les Brechin
July 10, 2019, 2:33pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
As has been suggested by Barralad I intend to donate the 25% I raise from The Fishy Buster which I normally donate to The Mariners Trust to The Fans Of The Future appeal as long as there are no objections from people in the buster.

Therefore £2.50 of every £10 entry I take will be donated to this cause. If you want to join in and give yourself a bit of extra interest in the football results on at the weekend just post your interest on The Fishy Buster thread.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fans of the Future

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.