This thread currently has 9,519 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Malta_Mariner_90
July 8, 2019, 1:34pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Is a scholarship deal the usual youth team terms?

If so is there going to be anything stopping him just walking away after two years and joining Middlesbrough?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
LocalLadGTFC
July 8, 2019, 1:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +3,642
Gold Stars: 124
Scholarship is the term used for a youth deal. Can’t find anywhere about position or anything but have a friend who’s a West Ham fan and says he was highly rated by the club as a youngster and he believes it was the players wish to be released and the club adhered to his wishes which is strange as they could of got some compensation if they simply offered him terms. Possibly location falling in our favour or Woods working wonders with youth recruitment again?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 23
RichMariner
July 8, 2019, 2:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Remember when John Oster returned for a loan spell in the 2002/3 season?

That's when this lad was born

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
Kris2
July 8, 2019, 2:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90
Is a scholarship deal the usual youth team terms?

If so is there going to be anything stopping him just walking away after two years and joining Middlesbrough?

Youth players can do whatever they want basically. Until he signs for a club on pro terms he belongs to nobody and that's how it should be. If you agree with putting kids on to slave contracts at a football club you have issues.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
Mighty_Mariner
July 8, 2019, 2:21pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from mimma
Nothing anywhere else. Looks like a dead duck. Shame from what I can gather he looks more than useful at youth level for West Ham.

His Instagram post of him holding a town shirt seems to suggest otherwise 🤔

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
Malta_Mariner_90
July 8, 2019, 2:41pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Kris2

Youth players can do whatever they want basically. Until he signs for a club on pro terms he belongs to nobody and that's how it should be. If you agree with putting kids on to slave contracts at a football club you have issues.

I was more wondering why we would be bothering signing the lad if he has a lot of potential we probably would not be able to keep him in any case after the two years of his scholarship, which is exactly what happened with Burrell.

Not sure where I mentioned slavery...not that I am sure from your post you quite understand what the concept of it is, salves do not normally sign contracts....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
bedders78
July 8, 2019, 2:50pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 12

I was more wondering why we would be bothering signing the lad if he has a lot of potential we probably would not be able to keep him in any case after the two years of his scholarship, which is exactly what happened with Burrell.

And senior players can walk away at the end of their contracts.  No point in signing anyone.

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
Malta_Mariner_90
July 8, 2019, 2:57pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from bedders78

And senior players can walk away at the end of their contracts.  No point in signing anyone.

Well yes you are right, but then you normally get at least ones years decent service out of them...?

It was just a hypothetical suggestion from myself. Of course it would be great to sign a young player who could turn out to have great potential, but it is just annoying when they walk away to join an under 23 academy after the effort that goes into their development by Town's youth set up.

Of course that might not even happen here, so all in all probably a silly hypothetical post from myself in the end.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
LocalLadGTFC
July 8, 2019, 4:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +3,642
Gold Stars: 124

Well yes you are right, but then you normally get at least ones years decent service out of them...?

It was just a hypothetical suggestion from myself. Of course it would be great to sign a young player who could turn out to have great potential, but it is just annoying when they walk away to join an under 23 academy after the effort that goes into their development by Town's youth set up
Of course that might not even happen here, so all in all probably a silly hypothetical post from myself in the end.

He wouldn’t just walk away, if after the 2 years someone was to come in for him and Town offered him pro terms then they’d be required to pay a fee. Any player on scholarship terms would require a fee from another club normally settled via a tribunal. A club at our level unfortunately that’s the youth model. Develop players who can play for the club yes but they’re also looking at developing players who can go on and make the club a quick buck.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 23
jock dock tower
July 8, 2019, 4:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
If he's been through their youth set up he's got something. We may also benefit from it. Win, win.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Evan Khouri

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.