MuddyWaters
July 2, 2019, 4:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from diehardmariner
Other than impressing in his first game, I thought Jackson was pretty useless for us.  Quite clearly it wasn't an accurate reflection of him as a player because he's since gone on to far bigger and better things than us.  Maybe he wasn't quite ready or our tactics didn't suit him.  

Bogle was, of course, outstanding in that period but as a pairing I don't remember thinking they were any good.  Bogle was just unplayable on his own.

Didn't Jackson play instead of Bogle at home to Morecambe (first game back in the League)?
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 55
Maringer
July 2, 2019, 4:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,382
Gold Stars: 184
Jackson scored a goal on his debut, following a lucky ricochet, but then didn't look like he knew where he should be going or what he was doing for much of the rest of the season.

The setup at Accrington obviously suited him much more and I suppose he may have strengthened up a bit as well as he always looked incredibly lightweight when playing for us.

Not surprised he didn't do too much at Ipswich last year but perhaps he'll have a good season in League One this time around which I would guess ought to be more his level.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 55
Kris2
July 2, 2019, 4:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Son of Cod

I seem to remember he played in a two whenever Hurst decided to drop Vernon...which seemed like hardly ever, to be fair.

He barely played many games up front, usually on the wing with Bogle and somebody else up front. Jackson ran around a lot but didn't really seem to understand what his role was supposed to be on the wing. We also had Shaun Tuton as a forward at the same time and he was even more ineffective. The only thing I really recall him doing besides constantly straying offside is not being given the most obvious penalty ever for a rugby tackle on him when he was on for a simple tap in.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 55
Posh Harry
July 2, 2019, 7:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,344
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Kris2

He barely played many games up front, usually on the wing with Bogle and somebody else up front. Jackson ran around a lot but didn't really seem to understand what his role was supposed to be on the wing. We also had Shaun Tuton as a forward at the same time and he was even more ineffective. The only thing I really recall him doing besides constantly straying offside is not being given the most obvious penalty ever for a rugby tackle on him when he was on for a simple tap in.

I think tuton’s debut was away to county. Did really well, worked his socks off and really looked like he had something about. Although he missed a golden opportunity.

That was his only good game I believe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 55
Kris2
July 2, 2019, 9:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Posh Harry

I think tuton’s debut was away to county. Did really well, worked his socks off and really looked like he had something about. Although he missed a golden opportunity.

That was his only good game I believe.

I guess besides being caught offiside a million times sure. He was a trier, not so much a doer though. Another one of those young players that has some decent attributes in his physical strength and pace but doesn't ever really do anything with it because he lacks skills in all other areas.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 55
Rik e B
July 3, 2019, 10:36am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Bogle up top alone (with wide advanced attack men  ) beats any front pairing we've had back in the league football for me  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sam Jones

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.