Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Moses Ogbu (Signed)
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 282 Guests

Moses Ogbu (Signed)

This thread currently has 35,601 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
mimma
June 27, 2019, 1:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
SORRY!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 163
June 27, 2019, 1:53pm
Guest User
An interesting aside here.  Playing Football Manager 19, managing Grimsby (of course!), and I have just 'got' Moses Ogbu to play for the Mariners.

Now I'm not sure how accurate this researcher is but FM19 had Moses on £47k per week, £25k after tax, he also had a loyalty bonus of £325,000, appearance fee of £9.5k and a Goal Bonus of 7k.  He had a promotion wage rise of 25%, relegation wage drop of 25% and a seasonal landmark goal bonus for 20 goals of £130k.

As I said, not sure if the figures are right, but his last club was in Qatar!!
Reply: 141 - 163
diehardmariner
June 27, 2019, 1:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,534
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from mimma
You call it "penny pinching", the more sensible amongst us call it "living within your means". There's a big difference between the two statements.

Sorry, but it's far from sensible for a professional outfit to be relying on videos for scouting (a rare treat of two upcoming opponents playing each other the exception, as in this case) and for quite clearly tight financial constraints reducing us to making scatter gun speculative bids for skint clubs on the off-chance that they'll accept, based on single displays (or not as was the case here).

The whole Serge signing was a farce, an absolute farce.  But this wasn't a case that the manager at the time just decided to spunk a big transfer fee up the wall for the sake of it.  There was no scouting system in place of any real note.  With incredibly limited resources available to him (casting my memory back this was around the time when we employed Steve Croudson as goalkeeping coach, back-up goalkeeper, kit-man, god knows what else), we were always running the risk of something like this happening.
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 163
diehardmariner
June 27, 2019, 1:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

A scouting system identifies potential players and the manager decides if  a/ the players is good enough b/ the manager wants that player.

But we didn't have a scouting system, that's the point.    
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 163
diehardmariner
June 27, 2019, 2:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mimma
So you would like to spend what we haven't got in the hope that we are promoted. Villa, Bolton, Leeds etc have done that and ended up in the third tier of the league and massively in dept. The only reason they survive is because they are too big a club. We wouldn't be so lucky.

A remotely moderate scouting system is a bit different from throwing money at a promotion push.  I don't think any of the clubs you list there fell into financial trouble because of their backroom set-up.  

When we went into the Conference I'm pretty sure there was something about the board supporting an investment in the infrastructure of the club to the tune of £1million on various bits and bobs.  The idea was that we would make sure the failings of the previous two/three seasons were never repeated and that we had what was required (off the field).

This quite clearly never happened.  A proper scouting system would have made sure we never signed Serge Makafo, we would never have been scrambling round for rough diamonds because the scout (who was no doubt doing a favour or a one-off job for us) would have been able to go back a few times to assess his findings.  You get out what you put in.  Clubs who invest time, money and dedication to a supporting infrastructure get the benefits.  We invested nothing and we got absolutely what we deserved.

Even under Hurst the lack of investment was obvious, to the point that he wasn't shy about speaking up about it when he left.  
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 163
Oly1987
June 27, 2019, 2:29pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,227
Gold Stars: 22
I actually had the opportunity to speak to Paul Hurst when we got back into the league during pre season. I asked him about our scouting network and he said that coming back to the league meant we could afford to hire a full time scout and a new system for scouting teams which allowed for more comprehensive coverage of team plays, statistical data etc.He also mentioned that when we were in non league we had to rely on video footage to scout teams which was difficult as not all teams could afford to record footage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 163
grimsby pete
June 27, 2019, 3:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from 123614
An interesting aside here.  Playing Football Manager 19, managing Grimsby (of course!), and I have just 'got' Moses Ogbu to play for the Mariners.

Now I'm not sure how accurate this researcher is but FM19 had Moses on £47k per week, £25k after tax, he also had a loyalty bonus of £325,000, appearance fee of £9.5k and a Goal Bonus of 7k.  He had a promotion wage rise of 25%, relegation wage drop of 25% and a seasonal landmark goal bonus for 20 goals of £130k.

As I said, not sure if the figures are right, but his last club was in Qatar!!

Maybe that's why we have only given him a one year deal.  

Seriously that is way out I saw on one site he was on 1200 euro,s  plus I am sure we will have an option on a second year.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 163
Ipswin
June 27, 2019, 4:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Happy enough with three of the signings so far but very concerned about this one, I just hope he's not expensive.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 163
June 27, 2019, 4:44pm
Guest User
Quoted from Ipswin
Happy enough with three of the signings so far but very concerned about this one, I just hope he's not expensive.

Typically down beat VAR.
Reply: 148 - 163
StaffsMariner
June 27, 2019, 4:52pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +428
Gold Stars: 6
What are you "very concerned" about Ipswin? or is it just your natural pessimism kicking in randomly?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 163
17 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Moses Ogbu (Signed)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.