Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Boiler help!
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 64 Guests

Boiler help!

This thread currently has 1,706 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Jarmo.Is.God
June 18, 2019, 7:59am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Can anyone help?

We are buying a house, and been told the boiler can't be serviced due to the position of the flue.

The best way to describe it is

Front door |
Boiler Flue   -

So the flue is facing where you stand at the door, if that makes sense!!!

Now, I've been told the boiler needs to be moved, because it doesn't meet rules and regulations, can anybody give me any advice on this one?
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimsby pete
June 18, 2019, 12:26pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,763
Gold Stars: 221
If you have not agreed to buy and signed contracts tell them the price should be reduced to cover the cost of moving the boiler.

Good luck.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
Maringer
June 18, 2019, 12:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -11
Approval: +16,071
Gold Stars: 175
Flue needs to be a certain distance from doors and windows, I understand. I had an extension built the other year and I remember the builders being careful about the positioning of the boiler which is slap bang between the doors at the back of the house and the kitchen window. Only just enough room to have the flue fitted in between them and still meet the building regs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
Jarmo.Is.God
June 18, 2019, 2:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
If you have not agreed to buy and signed contracts tell them the price should be reduced to cover the cost of moving the boiler.

Good luck.

Thanks Pete.
I've been told you have get extension kits to point away from the door and windows, rather than move the boiler.

Anyone heard of this?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 12
KingstonMariner
June 18, 2019, 2:21pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.13
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Thanks Pete.
I've been told you have get extension kits to point away from the door and windows, rather than move the boiler.

Anyone heard of this?

No but if it's by the front door it's not going to look great unless you can box it in a way that suits the house (depends on style/age of house).

Where do the neighbouring houses have their flues? Are they all in the front?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
Jarmo.Is.God
June 18, 2019, 2:25pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

No but if it's by the front door it's not going to look great unless you can box it in a way that suits the house (depends on style/age of house).

Where do the neighbouring houses have their flues? Are they all in the front?

Not moved in yet, and this issue has only recently come to light, so not 100% sure
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
cmackenzie4
June 18, 2019, 3:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.30
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,296
Gold Stars: 33
If the boiler needs to be moved because it doesn’t meet regulations I thought that was up to the present owners to do that before selling the property, I thought a new law had been brought in specifically for these sort of situations? (To protect the buyer)

I could be wrong but maybe worth getting advice on this matter Jarmo, good luck with it.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 12
Grim74
June 18, 2019, 8:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
As long as the boiler is not recently installed and at risk I would service the boiler and state flue not to current  standards only (advisory) and that’s it job done. To bring it to current standards a vertical flue kit can be attached, a bit of an eyesore but would solve your problem.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
Jarmo.Is.God
June 19, 2019, 8:16am

Vodka Drinker
Boiler has actually been in for 15+ years I believe, if not longer!

We don't plan on staying in the house forever, so if a flue extension on the outside looks silly but does the job, I'm happy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
KingstonMariner
June 19, 2019, 8:25am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.13
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I suppose the question is what will the next prospective buyer think? Will it hold back future sales if you want to move on in a few years.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
Marinerz93
June 19, 2019, 11:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
The regs have changed over the last year as it used to be At Risk with a gas warning notice issued if the flue was within 300 mm from a door or window opening, now it would be classed as not to current standards. You can get snorkel kits that extended the flue away from doors and windows however these can look unsightly and have to be installed by gas safe engineer to make sure the flow rate of air being drawn meets regulations. The modern approach in some cases is for boilers to be fitted in the loft, but bear in mind building regs because if a boiler is in the loft there has to be a fixed loft ladder and it should be boarded out to the boiler so it can be serviced and closely inspected for spillage (products of combustion on the outside of the boiler known as spillage which is signs of Carbon Monoxide)

The fitting of boilers has three things to consider, one is the gas pipe that feeds the boiler and  another is the water pipes that go to and come form the boiler, so you are looking at routing of pipe work and do you want a gas pipe running through your house. The last one is the flue, placing it in a location so that it does what it is intended to do and it is sealed at least on the outside.

I'm not a boiler installer but as part of my job, I had to know Gas Safe regs and had to relight appliances after carrying out work could sometimes be tricky, boilers being the worst in some cases to relight.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 12
moosey_club
June 20, 2019, 9:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,132
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Boiler has actually been in for 15+ years I believe, if not longer!

We don't plan on staying in the house forever, so if a flue extension on the outside looks silly but does the job, I'm happy

Pretty much won't be servceable anyway if its that old...15yrs on a modern boiler is pushing its life expectancy and most models will be discontinued after that long so parts generally running short.  Factor in replacing it in the near future and then consider options for moving it then.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 12
Jarmo.Is.God
June 24, 2019, 10:24am

Vodka Drinker
Thanks for everyone's time in replying! appreciated
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Boiler help!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.