4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
GollyGTFC
June 19, 2019, 9:29am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
In fact if you take out the 3 seasons in the early 60s when we had plain white shirts then Red and Black socks were, after last season, tied on 35 seasons each worn with striped shirts. And the coming season will see black go 1 ahead on 36.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 36
RichMariner
June 19, 2019, 11:15am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
Just my opinion, of course, but I think red socks makes the whole kit look just a little classier (while making us stand out from other black and white striped kits of other clubs).

Isn't the reason why we introduced red socks linked to a manager who thought his players would be able to pick each other out more easily without having to lift their heads up?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 21 - 36
KingstonMariner
June 19, 2019, 11:22am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from RichMariner
Just my opinion, of course, but I think red socks makes the whole kit look just a little classier (while making us stand out from other black and white striped kits of other clubs).

Isn't the reason why we introduced red socks linked to a manager who thought his players would be able to pick each other out more easily without having to lift their heads up?

I thought Shankly did something like that at Liverpool. Obv he was manager here too so maybe he did it at both clubs.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 36
rancido
June 19, 2019, 11:35am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
FFS , three pages of posts on what colour socks we should have! No wonder some people at the club don't take this site seriously !

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 36
perthgeoff
June 20, 2019, 6:40am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +196
Thanks Hisen, no offence taken. I first started supporting the Mariners in 1941 as a 14 year old lad living in Scunthorpe where they played their `home matches`because of  WW2.and have never lost my passion for the club. Now living in OZ, I make sure on my many visits to the UK that I manage to watch at least one match at Blundell Park. Sadly,due to aging problems,that has now come to an end but I still check The Fishy at least once a day without fail.The club comes into a lot of criticism, some of it rightly so but there are good points.Once I reached the age of 85 I became an `Ancient Mariner`,which entitled me to free entry to any or all home matches,to any part of the ground. I am not aware of any other club that offers this,but I could be wrong.
Anyway. the best of luck to my club and all it`s supporters in the future. Rest assured, I will be watching from afar with much interest.                                
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 36
The Boys Paddock
June 22, 2019, 7:44am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +0 / -5
Approval: -964
White Socks for me..but not with shoes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 36
Northbank Mariner
June 22, 2019, 8:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from The Boys Paddock
White Socks for me..but not with shoes

Or Sandles!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 36
Rik e B
June 23, 2019, 11:29am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Oh I didn't know about the 'Ancient Mariner' thing, a nice touch there 👌🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 36
White_shorts
July 9, 2019, 3:11pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -624
Gold Stars: 9
I don't like red socks because they don't match the shirts at all. They make the club appear amateur. White socks are better than black for visibility.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 36
Numanoid
July 9, 2019, 3:20pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +152
Gold Stars: 14
sodomist it let's have black and white hoops with red piping! Does it really matter as long as we play well?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Red Socks

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.