2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
June 17, 2019, 10:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 507
1st round draw is on thursday. Regionalised. This year its being drawn in a morrisons supermarket🥳🥳
Logged Offline
Private Message
Helgy
June 17, 2019, 11:20am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
It’s a crap competition , away teams get 40% of the gate money after expenses.
Can see most lower league clubs losing money hosting it.
With Zero prize money until the Semi losers get a paltry £25k winners £50k.
Winner at Wembley gets £100k.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
HackneyHaddock
June 17, 2019, 11:28am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
The FA and the League need to put this cup out of its misery.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
Malta_Mariner_90
June 17, 2019, 11:36am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
The FA and the League need to put this cup out of its misery.

It is a point I think which might be debated at the top level soon. The top sides already treat the competition with disdain for the most part. Arsenal for example always used to treat it as a reserve competition until the semis/final even when we played there back in 2001.

Would it also bring back some glamour/prestige to the FA cup if it was scrapped?

I know Guardiola takes it seriously enough, but then again he tried to claim to Charity Shield should count as a major trophy  .

Maybe he should be part of the draw for this taking place in Morrisons.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
Barrattstander
June 17, 2019, 12:56pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +867
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

I know Guardiola takes it seriously enough, but then again he tried to claim to Charity Shield should count as a major trophy  

The German, Italian and Spanish leagues all have an equivalent "Super Cup" to the Charity Shield which are considered to be major trophies, maybe it needs renaming.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
1mickylyons
June 17, 2019, 1:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
I always look at it this way I believe the competion was originally introduced as an extra to give smaller sides the chance for more revenue and the chance of a 2 legged glamour tie? This has been watered down over the years to the point only the Semi`s are 2 legged with a Wembley Final . When the Season kicked off you had 2 domestic cups and a title you could win if you were in the top 2 divisions . Enter the FL Trophy for the lower league clubs to give players and fans of smaller Clubs a chance of actually seeing their team play at the National stadium.

All this was fair enough now the powers that be have ruined the FA Cup with stupid kick off times and the scrapping of replays not to mention the greed and hypocrisy of Semi Finals being at Wembley when along with the cup Wembley was THE prize. The League Cup is as pointed out above now pointless and only Pep seems bothered about treating it with respect and their are no financial rewards either.

The FL Trophy has been corrupted by Mr Harvey and his Prem teams involvement so all in all the games far worse off now if you sit outside the top league than at any point previous
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 17
Les Brechin
June 17, 2019, 1:31pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
I think the only way you're going to get any real interest in this competition around here, is if we draw Hull. It'll be the first competitive fixture between the 2 teams for over 20 years.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 17
Hagrid
June 17, 2019, 1:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 507
Quoted from Les Brechin
I think the only way you're going to get any real interest in this competition around here, is if we draw Hull. It'll be the first competitive fixture between the 2 teams for over 20 years.

I agree, a sheff Wednesday, Rotherham Leeds etc wouldn't be a bad thing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
Tommy
June 17, 2019, 2:13pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Les Brechin

Hull away would be very appealing.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
RichMariner
June 17, 2019, 2:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
"Right, we've sponsored this competition for a couple of years now, but still no fornicator knows what Carabao is."

"What shall we do, boss?"

"Well, we could make the draw down the fizzy drinks aisle of a UK supermarket and make sure the shelves are stocked full of Carabao."

"Get a pic of John Barnes with a trolley outside the store?"

"Now you're talking!"

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Carabao Cup Draw

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.