arryarryarry
June 6, 2019, 9:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from FrazerGTFC
Can all these people who keep banging on about new investment / owners please stop. You know nothing. Also can Chris Parker stop sending cryptic tweets, it’s embarrassing

So what do you know?
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
promotion plaice
June 6, 2019, 9:27am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
without any negative comments, what can the fans do to make it better?

In short.......nothing    

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
lew chaterleys lover
June 6, 2019, 9:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
There’s a lot of doom and gloom about regarding GTFC at the moment, without any negative comments, what can the fans do to make it better?

I say no negative comments cos we get loads of them and it’s so easy to get wrapped up in a downward spiral, so how do we change that?

It is impossible to answer without any negative comments, but the fans have done their bit over and above the call of duty.

The only thing that could happen now is either a change in the boardroom, which would bring huge positivity, or success on the field as the season progresses.

If it is true that season ticket sales are down, then things really are looking bleak.

A football club that goes so long without a change at the top will always suffer a drop in support; people get fed up, disenchanted, they want to be part of something on the up. We have to face it, until Fenty goes the club will continue to go backwards. Sorry to be negative, but it is obviously the truth and many fans like me who have had season tickets for donkeys years feel the same.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
Theimperialcoroner
June 6, 2019, 9:55am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,088
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Like Woz and Robo have stated above liaising with fans would go a long way, the club could tempt so many fans back if it did, just give the fans an incentive especially the younger fans, it can’t be that hard surely?

Of all the responses, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
Bigdog
June 6, 2019, 9:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
There’s a lot of doom and gloom about regarding GTFC at the moment, without any negative comments, what can the fans do to make it better?

I say no negative comments cos we get loads of them and it’s so easy to get wrapped up in a downward spiral, so how do we change that?

The club needs..

A new stadium
Fresh investment
Fresh ideas
Better players
Better team performances
Better environment to watch home games at BP
Better matchday facilities at BP
Better engagement with the fans
Better marketing
Better pricing structure to encourage new fans young and old
Improvement in the club's tarnished reputation
Stop doing things the way they've always done them, like kit manufacturer etc
Stop setting themselves mediocre standards
Start setting higher standards for minute details and work upwards from there

After 20 years of shite, the fans can continue to patiently ignore the list above and..

Soldier on and keep going to matches
Keep trying to bring a friend or family member along even though you keep getting laughed at for doing so
Raise some cash for the club's playing budget even though they won't be grateful for it

Or.. take a good hard look at the long list at the top and admit that unless the club has someone in charge that can deal with it, there is very little fans can do to change anything in the short, medium or long term.. and that is why there is negativity, and a negativity that is so often blamed on the fans and not resolutely or consistently on the root cause, diluted by loyalty or vain hope where circumstances (football fortune) can somehow turn around how things are at present without the blindingly obvious shortfalls of cash, infrastructure and acumen in place..

No amount of rallying calls by the fans is going to get the lost fans through the gates of BP let alone buy a season ticket.. and no amount of GTFC summer engagement with fans of sloppy distribution and timing of season ticket launches and packs, GTTV, progress on pitch improvements, progress and non-progress of floodlight improvements, the launch of GTFC Ladies team, the "clever" social media marketing of the big Clee Town game, Peterborough and Donny at home and the usual trips around Lincolnshire, the original idea of asking fans to post their holiday snaps on social media over the summer, the rebuttal of interest in investment of GTFC, the new "state of the art" lift in the Findus, the promised small increase in playing budget, "not by much" from the meagre one last season, seemingly being always the last team in our division to sign a player after one or two who were expected to stay walked away and another gives a "come and get me call" to any club in the North West.. will turn this club around. It's fruitless, it's a busted flush because the club will think it has engaged and engaged well.

Hope and patience are the only two factors sprinkled with the last reserves of loyalty to our club. Hope.. that Jolley knits together a team to be proud of on a shoestring, edible food is on offer at half time along with a shorter queue for a pint and a pisss, and bog rolls in the toilets. And patience.. because one day, John Fenty will not be at the helm of our football club and then that long list at the top will hopefully be addressed properly. And fans can go back to going to games with friends and family members as in years gone by and not get laughed at by asking them.. "Are you off to the Town game on Saturday?"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
TownSNAFU5
June 6, 2019, 10:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
We know that doing the same things (every season) repeatedly, is the definition of insanity.

We have the lunatics running the asylum.  

What positivity can anyone reasonably expect to see?

I have become a cynical fan, after some 56 years of going.  I am worn down with the sheer  “nothingness” of everything, or nearly everything. The lack of hope for something to cling to.

We need change - from the top.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 6, 2019, 10:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Bigdog

And fans can go back to going to games with friends and family members as in years gone by and not get laughed at by asking them.. "Are you off to the Town game on Saturday?"

Would not disagree with your points but us fans have always been taunted on a Saturday lunchtime by non-attendees. My dad used to say every time I went to BP “You’re not going to give Wouldy your money are you? Must be barmy going to watch that shower.”

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
1mickylyons
June 6, 2019, 10:44am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
It certainly doesn`t help with the pricing for younger Town fan`s to attend .A huge step in a better direction would be to address those prices unless I misread the list we are now the most expensive Club for under 18s to follow in League 2?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
horsforthmariner
June 6, 2019, 11:42am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,575
Gold Stars: 8
The problem is that many of us thought that our conference years were just a blip in our clubs history and that once we back in the league we would be able to progress up the league. The reality is that were now a Macclesfield or Barnet that will flip between the conference and League 2. For a club of our history that's simply a disgrace.

I think we will get relegated next season. A good season will be somewhere between 50-60 points. Nothing is coming out of the club, it's as if it's died since Crewe:

1. No signings
2. Press and PR seems to have gone missing.
3. A really uninteresting pre season fixture list with 5 of the 7 teams were planning on playing 2 levels or worse below us.
4. The loss of a bright young thing and reports that players want to leave.
5. Virtually no effort to promote season tickets.

So what do they need to:

1. Firstly sign someone half decent, and just get on with it. even if it costs a bit of extra cash, you can then turn around to agents and say well he;s signed so all the fears are misplaced.
2. Start doing some positive stories about the club, literally anything will do - last year Jolley in the ticket office worked a treat but literally anything at this moment in time will be good. We used to be quite effective at this (remembers the John Lewis Christmas video).
3. Learn the lesson - Sick to the back teeth of Gainsborough, Grantham and Boston. Do something interesting next season. Even if you can't get a big name try and get somewhere like Harrogate away for the Yorkshire exiles.
4. To be fair we have tied younger players down with long contracts but at least have some press about players who are looking forward to next season. Everything I've seen is about players leaving/wanting to leave.
5. I'm not sure what I have to do get an email from the club. I make sure I tick the box to receive information but I'm not asked to buy one even though I buy a fair whack of tickets for home games every season. Surely I should be getting bombarded?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
grimsby pete
June 6, 2019, 12:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
For a start the club should end it's them and us,

We should be one all pulling in the right direction lets make it a community club before we move into a community stadium.

Reduce the price of kids they are the future ,we should be encouraging families to attend and make it affordable for them.

When or if we move into a new stadium we will have an extra 4,000 + seats so lets fill them with fans who think their view count and feel a part of a club who values them.

Most of the negatives that come out of the club comes from Fenty so the sooner someone else takes over the better.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Positivity

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.