Croxton
June 1, 2019, 9:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from rancido

Kingfishers are a regular sight on the Freshney now and nest in the upper reaches.

Good to hear. Lazy exile reference based on a 'Britain in Bloom' TV prog. featuring some heroic local clean up on the West Marsh. Last one I saw was by the R Don near Meadowhall despite M1 traffic, Trams and pollution.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 55
promotion plaice
June 5, 2019, 7:41am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

According to today's Telegraph around 430 season tickets have been sold so far.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 55
diehardmariner
June 5, 2019, 10:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,577
Gold Stars: 537
By the 2nd June last year, we had sold 1,100.

We've sold about 40% of what we did 12 months ago!  

Staggering.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 55
1mickylyons
June 5, 2019, 10:41am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,382
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from diehardmariner

Staggering.

Well I havent seen any hard sell from the Club for starters weve had no signings and rumour or not a % of fans were hoping we would have some significant boardroon change/investment . I think the sales reflect the poor Season just gone and the lack of optimism for it to get better? Now sure as anything Town sign Devitt and Cook the sales will start going up at a rapid rate of knots that`s just how we fans are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 55
Malta_Mariner_90
June 5, 2019, 11:14am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796

Staggering.

Any other club would surely be panicking at a 60% reduction in sales on the same period last year. If that trend continues imagine the reduction in the playing budget with 60% less revenue coming from season tickets.

Edited.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 55
1mickylyons
June 5, 2019, 11:36am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,382
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

Any other club would surely be panicking at a 60% reduction in sales on the same period last year. If that trend continues imagine the reduction in the playing budget with 60% less revenue coming from season tickets.

Edited.

Nobody will have noticed at GTFC they are on sale the fans will come same as for the last 40 years
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 55
mariner91
June 5, 2019, 11:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,626
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from pen penfras

Ahh yes, "our budget is too small", "we don't want to pay more", "we want the club to be sustainable". They can't all happen, so make your bloody mind up.

Would probably help the budget considerably if your mate stopped taking out £200,000 per season from it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 55
marinerdazza
June 5, 2019, 11:41am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,848
Gold Stars: 82
Not surprised. Some signings will help.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 55
diehardmariner
June 5, 2019, 2:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,577
Gold Stars: 537
At this point last year we had kept hold of McKeown and Fox.  We had already signed Alex Whitmore and were just about to sign Harry Davis.

In the case of McKeown it was a bonus, arguably an unexpected one, but not sure it would shift any extra season tickets, definitely not 600+.

Season ticket sales survived last year because of the feel-good factor on the back of the Jolley escape job and a marketing campaign that was weak, but far better than what we've had this season.

I actually bothered to look at the renewal pack this morning, in the opening statement from Ian Fleming he spoke of a great achievement that a high percentage of our ticket sales last season came from season tickets.  I'm not totally sure that's something to be bragging about.  You can always look at numbers in whichever light you prefer, but you would surely expect the club to be looking at that stat, which I'm pretty sure will be similar to every recent season and realise that we've got a worrying inability to shift tickets during the season.  We're ridiculously reliant on season ticket sales to fund the club and yet our season tickets are dramatically down.  

You hope to god that the club has something up it's sleeve to pull out on this one as we're looking at a shocking uptake.

Perhaps the club is genuinely confident of bringing someone like Devitt and/or Cook back to the club.  But will that really be enough to shift the mood of the fans?  Devitt was well remembered for his first spell but his second spell was a bit of a damp squib.  Whilst I think he's as good player and would welcome him back, he's someone who's done well at this level and that's it in the ten seasons since he was first here.  He's hardly going to be a marquee signing.  Could say the same for Cook.  Similar record to what Wes Thomas had in League One and whilst he did well in the Conference with Tranmere, I don't see him selling many season tickets.

Just looking at the gates for when Devitt returned first time round.  The two home games after his return:
5th Jan - Hereford - 3793
22nd Jan - Hyde - 2755
The game before was Lincoln on NYD so that's a bit of an anomaly with a gate of 7,405, as probably was the top of the table clash 4 days before Xmas with Wrexham (4,302).  You go back to mid-November and we were still clocking up gates around the 3,500 mark.   A signing that will shift season tickets has to be someone who's a genuine name.  

In the absence of a real stand-out signing that actually makes those infamous hairs on the back of your neck stand up, I can only think of one thing that would seriously shift season tickets this summer...
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 55
Malta_Mariner_90
June 5, 2019, 2:09pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796

In the absence of a real stand-out signing that actually makes those infamous hairs on the back of your neck stand up, I can only think of one thing that would seriously shift season tickets this summer...

...but that is never going to happen seemingly.

In the absence of an outside source releasing us from our biggest problem even just a statement from the club, publicly stating their desires for the new season (playoffs) acknowledging the important part the supporters would play in those ambitions (buying season tickets) would be encouraged. I know this might add pressure for Jolley in some regard but at the end of the day the lack any ambition of any kind is killing the club.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Season Ticket Packs

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.