nightrider
May 29, 2019, 4:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Bonetti in the pier  
Did anybody see Enzo Gambaro in the pier? Might explain why he never played for us. Or was he unlucky that he played right back

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 28
rancido
May 29, 2019, 8:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 316[b
]The fans raised £50k, did they not, to release him from third party ownership?

And Ivano paid the other £50k. Have I got that right?
[/b]
How many modern-day footballers would be willing to do that, and how many players would we be willing to do that for?

The guy played in a Champions League final at Wembley. He looked like he loved playing for us, when all was well.

His skill was clearly undoubted. Yes, wasn't with us for long but, for me, legends are people who are going to be talked about for a long, long time - and Ivano falls in that bracket.

His players registration was held by a consortium ( third party ? ) but he was part of that consortium. He was in fact partly paying himself.

I never actually saw him in the same adulation as a lot of fans did. Although obviously a very good footballer I felt that there was a " bit of a conman " about him. It still rankles me that the " incident " with Laws was partly precipitated by Ivano being more bothered about the club paying for him to fly back to Italy than the fact that we had thrown away a lead to end up being beaten. He was a high maintainance player with all his living costs at Kenwick Park being covered by the club. We also had to pay for a full time interpreter as he spoke very little English and he insisted on the club paying for his visits back to Italy.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 28
RichMariner
May 29, 2019, 9:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
Are you telling me that the club didn’t know what it was getting?

Yes, high maintenance maybe. But why should that have been a surprise? The guy had Champions League experience. He was highly paid all his career. He should have never ended up in a place like Grimsby but he did.

We didn’t have to take him. Laws didn’t have to play him if he thought he was going to be difficult or divisive.

But clearly the club and Laws felt the benefits outweighed the negatives and it’s a bit rich to now criticise his demeanour when we knew exactly what we were trying to buy.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 22 - 28
rancido
May 30, 2019, 10:49am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
Are you telling me that the club didn’t know what it was getting?

Yes, high maintenance maybe. But why should that have been a surprise? The guy had Champions League experience. He was highly paid all his career. He should have never ended up in a place like Grimsby but he did.

We didn’t have to take him. Laws didn’t have to play him if he thought he was going to be difficult or divisive.

But clearly the club and Laws felt the benefits outweighed the negatives and it’s a bit rich to now criticise his demeanour when we knew exactly what we were trying to buy.

There is a world of difference between accepting the high maintenance of a player and then seeing that abused and used to the extreme.
You say that he should never have ended up at a place like Grimsby but maybe he saw us as a soft touch and the management didn't realise beforehand how manipulative and divisive he was. It's all water under the bridge now but I , for one , don't get gooey eyed when I think about him. We have had many good players in my time of watching town but I will always remember Ivano as the player who precipitated an ugly dressing room scene that got the club noticed for all the wrong reasons.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 28
1mickylyons
May 30, 2019, 11:35am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from rancido

There is a world of difference between accepting the high maintenance of a player and then seeing that abused and used to the extreme.
You say that he should never have ended up at a place like Grimsby but maybe he saw us as a soft touch and the management didn't realise beforehand how manipulative and divisive he was. It's all water under the bridge now but I , for one , don't get gooey eyed when I think about him. We have had many good players in my time of watching town but I will always remember Ivano as the player who precipitated an ugly dressing room scene that got the club noticed for all the wrong reasons.

You choose to remember that rather than the WBA or Luton games?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 28
livosnose
May 30, 2019, 11:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,159
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from rancido

His players registration was held by a consortium ( third party ? ) but he was part of that consortium. He was in fact partly paying himself.

I never actually saw him in the same adulation as a lot of fans did. Although obviously a very good footballer I felt that there was a " bit of a conman " about him. It still rankles me that the " incident " with Laws was partly precipitated by Ivano being more bothered about the club paying for him to fly back to Italy than the fact that we had thrown away a lead to end up being beaten. He was a high maintainance player with all his living costs at Kenwick Park being covered by the club. We also had to pay for a full time interpreter as he spoke very little English and he insisted on the club paying for his visits back to Italy.

Not all his living costs.  I worked in the health club at Kenwick and he used to pay for the sun beds  

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 28
rancido
May 30, 2019, 3:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

You choose to remember that rather than the WBA or Luton games?

Yes because I can recall many memorable games before Ivano came but only the one incident that made the national press for the wrong reasons. Wasn't it also a Luton game that lead to " chickengate "?
The guy was a gifted footballer but also a conman and sadly it seems he has conned some of our supporters into thinking he was some kind of " superman ". I would rather remember  Paul Futcher and Matt Tees who served our club rather than Ivano and his 20 game cameo.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 28
Mallyner
May 30, 2019, 8:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,507
Gold Stars: 23
He chickened out and would have been happy to deny a great clubman 20 grand, the greedy illegitimate.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 28
The Boys Paddock
May 30, 2019, 8:33pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +0 / -5
Approval: -964
great player. Only behind Trevor Whymark and Lord Paul of Futcherland, as the best footballers Ive seen at GY.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ivano

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.