3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
psgmariner
May 28, 2019, 4:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
My favourite ever town player. Made us dare to dream.

Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
Mendonca1995
May 28, 2019, 6:20pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
His crossing ability was unreal some of the best I’ve seen at bp he was a joy to watch

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
moosey_club
May 28, 2019, 7:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,206
Gold Stars: 224
Cult hero undoubtedly.....the financial side of it was all a bit suspect to me but as a player he was talented and had the Town buzzing back then.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
VinnyGTFC
May 28, 2019, 10:15pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +125
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from pen penfras

We're still talking about him and how good he was more than 20 years after he played for us. How does that not give him legendary status?

He played 19 games. We talk about him because we don't move on. He does not hold legendary status just a little curio interest based on the fact fans raised the money to buy him and the plate throwing incident. Saying he's a Town legend is a bit of a let down for those over the years that really are.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
KingstonMariner
May 28, 2019, 11:21pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from pen penfras

We're still talking about him and how good he was more than 20 years after he played for us. How does that not give him legendary status?

Bang on.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
Maringer
May 29, 2019, 6:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
I'm just surprised that we've not had a generation of young Ivano's come through given his exploits at the Pier during his time at the club! He'd be chatting up a different lady every weekend. Well, his interpreter was doing the chatting up, but you get my drift...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
KingstonMariner
May 29, 2019, 9:20am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer
I'm just surprised that we've not had a generation of young Ivano's come through given his exploits at the Pier during his time at the club! He'd be chatting up a different lady every weekend. Well, his interpreter was doing the chatting up, but you get my drift...

Being a big nosed ugly sodomist who couldn’t make himself understood never helped me with women ☹️

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 28
diehardmariner
May 29, 2019, 9:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,421
Gold Stars: 532
There's two sides to the Ivano issue isn't there?

On one hand you've got the Italian winger, full of flair and something of a trailblazer for a foreign player (especially outside the top flight at the time).  We had a good side under Laws, a very good side, but he added that little bit extra to it.  He united the club, the fans, the town in fact.  It felt like Ivano and Laws could lead us to something bigger and better, for a while they allowed us to dream.  Buckley Ball was great, it was entertaining to was David v Goliath but ultimately we never came out on top.  We always came up short when it mattered because we just couldn't compete with the bigger boys and their big budgets.  

Under Laws that attitude changed, we weren't just plucky Grimsby, we had an attitude about us that said we meant business.  We weren't just content to turn up and play pretty football. We wanted to turn up, intercourse excrement up in style and leave with 3 points.  We did all this whilst our star striker was in the treatment room.  

Ivano was a massive part of that, a bloody massive part.  That side had some genuine class in it, but Ivano was the talisman in every sense of the word.  

The flip of the coin is the guy who didn't really care about the club, he was here for a quick buck and by all accounts would have been happy to bleed the club dry.  I'm sure I've read a few ex-players accounts of him saying they soon grew tired of his attitude and disrespect.    The issue around Macca's testimonial left a real sour taste that arguably summed him up to a tee.

I lean more towards the cult hero than legend status.  Someone like Craig Disley, who played at a far lower level is more fitting of a legend status because he got it, he got what it meant to the fans and the people of this area.  Ivano gave us hope but ultimately he was only interested in feeding his own ego and pocket.

It was nice dreaming for a bit though...
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
1mickylyons
May 29, 2019, 10:33am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from diehardmariner
There's two sides to the Ivano issue isn't there?

On one hand you've got the Italian winger, full of flair and something of a trailblazer for a foreign player (especially outside the top flight at the time).  We had a good side under Laws, a very good side, but he added that little bit extra to it.  He united the club, the fans, the town in fact.  It felt like Ivano and Laws could lead us to something bigger and better, for a while they allowed us to dream.  Buckley Ball was great, it was entertaining to was David v Goliath but ultimately we never came out on top.  We always came up short when it mattered because we just couldn't compete with the bigger boys and their big budgets.  

Under Laws that attitude changed, we weren't just plucky Grimsby, we had an attitude about us that said we meant business.  We weren't just content to turn up and play pretty football. We wanted to turn up, intercourse excrement up in style and leave with 3 points.  We did all this whilst our star striker was in the treatment room.  

Ivano was a massive part of that, a bloody massive part.  That side had some genuine class in it, but Ivano was the talisman in every sense of the word.  

The flip of the coin is the guy who didn't really care about the club, he was here for a quick buck and by all accounts would have been happy to bleed the club dry.  I'm sure I've read a few ex-players accounts of him saying they soon grew tired of his attitude and disrespect.    The issue around Macca's testimonial left a real sour taste that arguably summed him up to a tee.

I lean more towards the cult hero than legend status.  Someone like Craig Disley, who played at a far lower level is more fitting of a legend status because he got it, he got what it meant to the fans and the people of this area.  Ivano gave us hope but ultimately he was only interested in feeding his own ego and pocket.

It was nice dreaming for a bit though...

That`s how I also see it and Ivano has never come back which is a shame because the fans love him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
RichMariner
May 29, 2019, 1:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,134
Gold Stars: 209
If he was here for a quick buck, I'm not sure why he would pay £50k himself to play for us.

I think the payment for testimonials is embedded in Italian culture and just different to us, not necessarily mean per se.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ivano

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.