Private Message
promotion plaice
May 28, 2019, 12:59am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,956
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

As much as I enjoyed watching him play for Town he was hardly a legend, he played less than twenty games for us.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 28
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 6:50am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from promotion plaice

As much as I enjoyed watching him play for Town he was hardly a legend, he played less than twenty games for us.

I agree Cult hero but those 20 games WOW
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
Perkins
May 28, 2019, 10:23am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,964
Gold Stars: 7
Good article but unfortunately my eyes dont glaze over with reminiscences of him.
He was a good player but not a great player. Yes he put GTFC on the map for a while, gave us publicity be it good and bad but he could never be called a legend IMO.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
fishboyUTM
May 28, 2019, 12:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
He wanted serious money to play in Macca's testimonial. I believe that is standard in Italy, but it didn't sit well with me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
pen penfras
May 28, 2019, 1:29pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -140
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from promotion plaice

We're still talking about him and how good he was more than 20 years after he played for us. How does that not give him legendary status?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 1:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

We're still talking about him and how good he was more than 20 years after he played for us. How does that not give him legendary status?

He played in 2 of my favourite Town home games in 40 years of following the Club WBA 1-0 and Luton 7-1
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 28
RichMariner
May 28, 2019, 2:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
The fans raised £50k, did they not, to release him from third party ownership?

And Ivano paid the other £50k. Have I got that right?

How many modern-day footballers would be willing to do that, and how many players would we be willing to do that for?

The guy played in a Champions League final at Wembley. He looked like he loved playing for us, when all was well.

His skill was clearly undoubted. Yes, wasn't with us for long but, for me, legends are people who are going to be talked about for a long, long time - and Ivano falls in that bracket.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
1mickylyons
May 28, 2019, 2:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
The fans raised £50k, did they not, to release him from third party ownership?

And Ivano paid the other £50k. Have I got that right?

How many modern-day footballers would be willing to do that, and how many players would we be willing to do that for?

The guy played in a Champions League final at Wembley. He looked like he loved playing for us, when all was well.

His skill was clearly undoubted. Yes, wasn't with us for long but, for me, legends are people who are going to be talked about for a long, long time - and Ivano falls in that bracket.

If nothing else he was the one man that united every single Town fan to get behind that team for 90 mins the noise from 8k against WBA was ridiculous for the full 90 mins . Even had they had Messi and Ronaldo playing for them that day they would still have lost seldom outside of Anfield on a European night can a clubs fans have won a game . That WBA game had all the right ingredients for the perfect football match from a fan`s point of view and Ivano was pivotal . The roar when Laws put Gilbert into the Findus was spine tingling and the 3 home stands in Unison chanting Mariners was the most moving thing I have ever felt part of at any game ever . Not many Clubs have the fanbase we do were a partizan lot here but if you give us 100% we will back you to the hilt WBA are a much bigger Club but I bet not many of there 1800 fans that day had heard noise like it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 28
forza ivano
May 28, 2019, 4:38pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from 1mickylyons

If nothing else he was the one man that united every single Town fan to get behind that team for 90 mins the noise from 8k against WBA was ridiculous for the full 90 mins . Even had they had Messi and Ronaldo playing for them that day they would still have lost seldom outside of Anfield on a European night can a clubs fans have won a game . That WBA game had all the right ingredients for the perfect football match from a fan`s point of view and Ivano was pivotal . The roar when Laws put Gilbert into the Findus was spine tingling and the 3 home stands in Unison chanting Mariners was the most moving thing I have ever felt part of at any game ever . Not many Clubs have the fanbase we do were a partizan lot here but if you give us 100% we will back you to the hilt WBA are a much bigger Club but I bet not many of there 1800 fans that day had heard noise like it?

thumbs up to that post. ivano , as you might imagine, is a legend in my eyes.Best player, bar none, that i have ever seen in  a Town shirt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.