Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Could we have 'done a Tranmere' ?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 224 Guests

Could we have 'done a Tranmere' ?

This thread currently has 6,507 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
May 26, 2019, 9:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from marinerdazza
My immediate concern is not doing a Yeovil.

I’m just looking at the League 2 line up for next season now it’s been finalised, and I cannot see many (any?) worse teams than us. It is a very strong league...

Same

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 44
Ipswin
May 26, 2019, 9:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from marinerdazza

I’m just looking at the League 2 line up for next season now it’s been finalised, and I cannot see many (any?) worse teams than us. It is a very strong league...

Frighteningly so, bottom six I fear, so long as there are two worse than us  

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 44
fishboyUTM
May 26, 2019, 9:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
We had Bogle. He was a machine but we weren't likely to keep him at 23, with his physique and potentIal to go on. But we had Amond, the fans loved him, adored him. He scored 36 goals for us but we messed him around with his contract. Lied and took his offer away. He was conned, our fans were devastated to lose him. The upper echolons at BP suggested he didn't score many against top six sides in the national league. A wantaway Hurst who certainly had eyes on a move didn't want him as he wanted to play 4-3-3. Amond, I'd agree wouldn't fit in there. Why did Hurst want away? And a sideways move at best.

Nolan? He'd sorted his head out after wasting years levels below his ability. No problem there, he shouldn't be playing league two. Toto? Not bothered when he went though he's much better than anything we have now he's matured and cut out so many mistakes. We had so much momentum, losing Amond killed it more than anything.

The fans worshipped Padraig, a disinterested and uncommitted Hurst allowed him to go although I suspect earlier lies about his contract helped Amond's decision. That said, I heard pretty much the second he signed for us in the fifth tier, he was looking for a move. We didn't capitalise on promotion, we still have the same problems, the same reason we became a poorly club that couldn't even finish 90th of 92 clubs and I fear we could well return to the Dog and Duck, and more 5-0's at Braintree.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 44
promotion plaice
May 26, 2019, 10:23pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from Ipswin

Frighteningly so, bottom six I fear, so long as there are two worse than us  

Makes you wonder what will happen regarding Mr Fenty if he takes us back into the tinpot for a second time???

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 44
KingstonMariner
May 26, 2019, 10:47pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from promotion plaice

Makes you wonder what will happen regarding Mr Fenty if he takes us back into the tinpot for a second time???

Nothing. It’ll be our fault.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 44
chaos33
May 26, 2019, 10:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from marinerdazza

I sort of know what you mean, but we haven't assembled a team yet and neither has anyone else.
Is there really any reason to feel, at this point, that we will be a poorer team than Stevenage, or Crawley, or Cheltenham, Cambridge, Port Vale, Crewe, Macclesfield......?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 44
HertsGTFC
May 26, 2019, 11:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from fishboyUTM
We had Bogle. He was a machine but we weren't likely to keep him at 23, with his physique and potentIal to go on. But we had Amond, the fans loved him, adored him. He scored 36 goals for us but we messed him around with his contract. Lied and took his offer away. He was conned, our fans were devastated to lose him. The upper echolons at BP suggested he didn't score many against top six sides in the national league. A wantaway Hurst who certainly had eyes on a move didn't want him as he wanted to play 4-3-3. Amond, I'd agree wouldn't fit in there. Why did Hurst want away? And a sideways move at best.

Nolan? He'd sorted his head out after wasting years levels below his ability. No problem there, he shouldn't be playing league two. Toto? Not bothered when he went though he's much better than anything we have now he's matured and cut out so many mistakes. We had so much momentum, losing Amond killed it more than anything.

The fans worshipped Padraig, a disinterested and uncommitted Hurst allowed him to go although I suspect earlier lies about his contract helped Amond's decision. That said, I heard pretty much the second he signed for us in the fifth tier, he was looking for a move. We didn't capitalise on promotion, we still have the same problems, the same reason we became a poorly club that couldn't even finish 90th of 92 clubs and I fear we could well return to the Dog and Duck, and more 5-0's at Braintree.

Check out an interview with Podge from earlier this year where he is very complimentary about Hurst and Doig and says he keeps in touch with PH etc... etc...

I’d suggest Podge leaving was more about his agent and the club not backing the manager.

If you recall Podge said “I just left it to my agent” well if Hartlepool offered the player more and the agent a bigger “introduction fee” (aka bung) that tells us everything.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 44
marinerdazza
May 26, 2019, 11:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,780
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from chaos33

I sort of know what you mean, but we haven't assembled a team yet and neither has anyone else.
Is there really any reason to feel, at this point, that we will be a poorer team than Stevenage, or Crawley, or Cheltenham, Cambridge, Port Vale, Crewe, Macclesfield......?

I’m usually quite positive. But if we’re as complacent as we have been in previous seasons then yes there’s every reason to think we’ll be poorer. And by we, I mean the board. There’s nothing wrong with a bit of realism and I’d rather try and point it out now whilst something can be done about it, than afterwards when we’re knackered again. We’ve not got the best record of learning from past mistakes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 44
Abdul19
May 27, 2019, 11:09am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Ipswin

That's not the point My question was  had we kept the promotion team plus one or two new faces could we have 'done a Tranmere'?

That side only strung a run of results together when Townsend was on loan, so I'll go with no, unless by some miracle he was one of the new faces.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 44
Marinerz93
May 27, 2019, 11:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Could we have 'done a Tranmere' ?

Our boardrooms ambition was to survive the drop, so it's a tale of ambition and with that ambition, budget.

You could argue that the budget does not always guarantee winning but it is key to bringing in quality. Also leadership is key as to quote Alexander the great I'm not afraid of an army of Lions led by a sheep, I am afraid of an army of sheep led by Lion.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Could we have 'done a Tranmere' ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.