Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Could we have 'done a Tranmere' ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 152 Guests

Could we have 'done a Tranmere' ?

This thread currently has 6,506 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
May 26, 2019, 5:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,650
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from Ipswin

I don't think the blame (or reason) lies wholly with the board. I am firmly convinced that if Hurst had done more to keep the bulk of the play off winning team (especially the spine of Toto, Nolan and Amond) and added just one or two new faces we would have been serious play off challengers, like Tranmere this season

Hurst dismantled the play off winning team because he knew it wasn't good enough.

We never threatened automatic promotion and only scraped past Braintree in the semis.

The team he put together for the league return was much better and the week before he left we were in the playoff places I think.

As usual the board messed up becasue they did not match Hursts ambition so he left for the mighty Shrewsbury.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 44
fiveallive
May 26, 2019, 6:12pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
The spine of the team went Nsiala, Nolan and Amond selling Bogle mid way through the season, Arnold went aswell, Gowling was a good player in the National League but looked out of depth at League 2 level.

Pearson released after the first season wasn't replaced by anyone better lost thst identity the club built over six years

All the excitement and the way the club was being run in The National League changed once we got promoted.

Fenty saying the fans were horrible to Hurst in that secret interview, Hurst wasn't so innocent he quit Boston for us, quit town for Shrewsbury, quit Shrewsbury for Ipswich he packing his boxes at Shrewsbury before the play off final.

The football we play in league 2 has been atrocious once Hurst left Bignot football was poor, Sladeball was disgusting to watch made slight improvement with Jolley.

Signing players in League 2 seems to have been harder than the National League are we prepared to pay wages required for League 2 players.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 44
Abdul19
May 26, 2019, 8:01pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,502
Gold Stars: 215
Nolan was offered a 3 year deal by a league 1 club, there was never a chance he would stay.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 44
HertsGTFC
May 26, 2019, 8:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,889
Gold Stars: 225
I don’t think our failure to move forward is Hurts fault for not keeping the like of Toto, Podge, Arnold etc.. as when he left we where starting to stabilise in the league.

The blame sits with the board, Bignot and Slade, having 4 managers in 2 seasons has sent us backwards.

Newport & Tranmere are not World beaters but at times in their game yesterday I sat there and thought how far behind in footballing terms we are versus the better teams in L2 this season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 44
Ipswin
May 26, 2019, 8:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Abdul19
Nolan was offered a 3 year deal by a league 1 club, there was never a chance he would stay.

That's not the point My question was  had we kept the promotion team plus one or two new faces could we have 'done a Tranmere'?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 44
Northbank Mariner
May 26, 2019, 8:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,431
Gold Stars: 171
In short..yes we could have, but we didn't..and with the present situation at our club I fear it will be a long time before we lock horns with the likes of Lincoln, Tranmere and Luton...all teams that were in the tin pot league and have gone on to bigger and better things while we flounder...
Sorry but those who think the board aren't to blame need to look again..
Without being a statto, how many teams who since 2010 have been in the tin pot and are now leagues above us?..4, maybe 6...
We are going nowhere and getting there in a hurry, Jolley maybe thought he could this ship around but unfortunately we have the turning circle of the Titanic and I fear the club will share the same fate and sink under the current regime...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 44
The Boys Paddock
May 26, 2019, 8:28pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +0 / -5
Approval: -964
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
In short..yes we could have, but we didn't..and with the present situation at our club I fear it will be a long time before we lock horns with the likes of Lincoln, Tranmere and Luton...all teams that were in the tin pot league and have gone on to bigger and better things while we flounder...
Without being a statto, how many teams who since 2010 have been in the tin pot and are now leagues above us?..4, maybe 6...
We are going nowhere and getting there in a hurry, Jolley maybe thought he could this ship around but unfortunately we have the turning circle of the Titanic and I fear the club will share the same fate and sink under the current regime...

nope, Hurst only belived in 2 or 3 of that squad.  There was no chance that it was going to be kept together
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 44
The Boys Paddock
May 26, 2019, 8:28pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +0 / -5
Approval: -964
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

nope, Hurst only belived in 2 or 3 of that squad.  There was no chance that it was going to be kept together
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 44
RonMariner
May 26, 2019, 8:49pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,532
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Newport & Tranmere are not World beaters but at times in their game yesterday I sat there and thought how far behind in footballing terms we are versus the better teams in L2 this season.

We thrashed both Newport and Tranmere this year.

Just saying......
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 44
marinerdazza
May 26, 2019, 9:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,769
Gold Stars: 81
My immediate concern is not doing a Yeovil.

I’m just looking at the League 2 line up for next season now it’s been finalised, and I cannot see many (any?) worse teams than us. It is a very strong league...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Could we have 'done a Tranmere' ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.