Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Could it be?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 65 Guests

Could it be?

This thread currently has 5,028 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Northbank Mariner
May 24, 2019, 6:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,380
Gold Stars: 170
Could what we have seen today be the start of a new business model for town?..
With the excellent work Woods and his staff are doing coupled with the success of the academy last year could it just be that bringing through these young starlet's through the academy and selling to bigger clubs be the way that GTFC finally have found the formula to have financial, commercial and footballing success?...
Logged Offline
Private Message
MarinerMart
May 24, 2019, 7:04pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +209
Nope. We do all the hard work and the player and his new club get the benefit  We get a few quid for our troubles and sign players no better than we have already.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
pontoonlew
May 24, 2019, 7:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,703
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from MarinerMart
Nope. We do all the hard work and the player and his new club get the benefit  We get a few quid for our troubles and sign players no better than we have already.

Rubbish, we’re not a Championship side anymore, making money off our youth products is a good thing.

It’s a risk for Boro, he might turn out no good, Jack Barlow anyone?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
Northbank Mariner
May 24, 2019, 7:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,380
Gold Stars: 170
Frig me, I ask a simple question and get red X's, it was only a question not a statement...are people really that harsh??..
For me, it would give us a way forward to rid the club of the noose around its neck of the loans and allow us to prosper without external investment...pretty much in the mould if Crewe..plus it makes our academy a damn site more of an attractive prospect than it ever previously has..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
Bigdog
May 24, 2019, 7:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Probably not real hard evidence of a new lucrative business model on this deal today. If it amounts to up to 100k with add-ons, in reality it's not a significant amount, possibly 20-30k up front plus add ons. But.. it's a start, been a while since we've sold a player we've developed. The real money is getting the youth into our first team for a season or two and selling on like Exeter do for half a mill plus. Feather in the cap for Woodsy, and hopefully the start of better things on the academy production line, but hardly a budget booster for the summer window as some would think. Unfortunately clubs like ours are left exposed due to player power and the derisory EPPP amounts awarded when bigger clubs come knocking on the door...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
Mariner93er
May 24, 2019, 7:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,666
Gold Stars: 28
The odds are that he won't make it as a pro, so you have to accept the money. Sounds harsh but it's true, and that amount of money isn't to be sniffed at.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
WetFlannel
May 24, 2019, 7:40pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 7
Considering the add ons for this kind of thing usually (Especially when dealing with players of his age) come with bonuses for appearances and a percentage of future fees, it adds the risk onto Boro. I’d prefer to keep him but this does help us if he does go further.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
Bigdog
May 24, 2019, 7:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Quoted from Mariner93er
The odds are that he won't make it as a pro, so you have to accept the money. Sounds harsh but it's true, and that amount of money isn't to be sniffed at.

If I'm being honest, the amount of up front money we'll have received isn't enough but GTFC had no choice in the matter. The club spends way more than 20 or 30k for every academy player that makes it as a first team regular and far more on senior signings that turn out to be a complete waste of money. Much better to try and keep as many of our youngsters as possible and sell the odd one on as a fully fledged young pro with 50 league games under their belt. Today was not a day to be happy, it just reinforces how clubs like ours get exploited. It would have been much better business to retain Burrell's services in the hope that he develops into a seven figure sum player, but what can the club do if the player gets his head turned by a bigger club and doesn't sign the contract he's been offered? Offer more money in the first place to get him to sign? Maybe, but that's down to the judgement of the manager and board in deciding what his prospective worth could be. This time a young player wasn't offered enough to convince him to stay before a bigger move came along.. and who could blame him? He could have been a young pro at a Conference club in twelve month's time rather than trying his hand at the right end of the Championship and a higher cushion to land on if he doesn't quite make the grade at Boro..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
wuffing
May 24, 2019, 8:15pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +788
Gold Stars: 35
When I win the lottery BIG and buy Town, will you come be an adviser Bigdog?  

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
KingstonMariner
May 24, 2019, 10:04pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.13
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Could what we have seen today be the start of a new business model for town?..
With the excellent work Woods and his staff are doing coupled with the success of the academy last year could it just be that bringing through these young starlet's through the academy and selling to bigger clubs be the way that GTFC finally have found the formula to have financial, commercial and footballing success?...

Simple answer is no.

The best way to profit from the youth setup is to get good players to play for you, then after helping the club to do well on the pitch, sell at a high fee when they’ve attracted serious interest.

As Bigdog and Maringer have pointed out we’ll probably get very little in terms of a guaranteed payment and it’s a long shot that the lad will get a long run in the first team. If he makes it at Championship level, we’ve been screwed considering what those clubs pay. If he doesn’t, we will get even less.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Could it be?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.