3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
May 24, 2019, 10:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,884
Gold Stars: 230
Finances are loaded in favour of the big dogs (sorry!) who can pick up players like Burrell on the cheap and drop them without too much cost.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
jock dock tower
May 24, 2019, 10:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
The move can be interpreted two ways (a) good business as the player is basically untried, and the money will go into strengthening the team or (b) we've not paid due diligence to our crop of young players who are delivering on the pitch, and have undersold ourselves. Where the money ends us is not the point, it's about ambition and whether we really have it.

I'm old enough to remember, as many others are, the impact of home grown players on the club, the fans, and our success in the 1970s / early 1980s. I remember Keith Brown breaking into the team in the early to mid 1970s, followed quickly by Jimmy Lumby - and his goals undoubtedly put numbers on the gate big style. Following these was the cream of the crop, Tony Ford, Kevin Drinkell, Kevin and Dave Moore, Shaun Mawer. For fans not old enough to have seen these guys playing it's so difficult to put into words the effect it had on everyone. It was electric. Couple that with players that came through the youth / reserve set up like Nigel Batch and Bob Cumming and you had a first team that most local folk could physically relate to. The pride in that team was immeasurable.

It seems the work that Neil Woods and others are doing with the youngsters might be starting to pay similar dividends. If that is the case then let's look at safeguarding our position rather than seeking short term gain. Let's try and get that spirit that was so wonderful back in the day as part and parcel of what the Town means to the current fan set up. It's not rocket science....

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
moosey_club
May 24, 2019, 11:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,143
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Could what we have seen today be the start of a new business model for town?..
With the excellent work Woods and his staff are doing coupled with the success of the academy last year could it just be that bringing through these young starlet's through the academy and selling to bigger clubs be the way that GTFC finally have found the formula to have financial, commercial and footballing success?...

probably paid Woodsy's wages for the year...hardly a get rich quick scheme is it ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
forza ivano
May 25, 2019, 12:09am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,142
Gold Stars: 265
Tbf we are basing our whole argument on the economics of The club from a journalists tweet. Would be nice if the club came out and have us some indication of how financially significant the deal is
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
Madeleymariner
May 25, 2019, 11:25am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,013
Gold Stars: 49
Perhaps we need to offer our brighter prospects a 2 year deal ready to sign on their 17th birthday to give us some control over fees. Burrell was well past his 18th birthday before we offered terms.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
HertsGTFC
May 25, 2019, 2:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,652
Gold Stars: 217
Don’t get the negativity on this TBH, we bring on a player who we sell for the 1,000’s in cash after a couple of appearances as sub where he hardly got a touch.

Our academy appears to be moving forward with a number of good young prospects coming through and a few former pros like Curran and Pollock trusting Woodsy to develop their boys, things don’t happen over night but this is one area that the club is doing a half decent job with.

A business model, no a decent income stream, definitely! Personally I’d like to see any money from the sale of this kid reinvested back into the youth system.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 25, 2019, 2:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Bigdog

If I'm being honest, the amount of up front money we'll have received isn't enough but GTFC had no choice in the matter. The club spends way more than 20 or 30k for every academy player that makes it as a first team regular and far more on senior signings that turn out to be a complete waste of money. Much better to try and keep as many of our youngsters as possible and sell the odd one on as a fully fledged young pro with 50 league games under their belt. Today was not a day to be happy, it just reinforces how clubs like ours get exploited. It would have been much better business to retain Burrell's services in the hope that he develops into a seven figure sum player, but what can the club do if the player gets his head turned by a bigger club and doesn't sign the contract he's been offered? Offer more money in the first place to get him to sign? Maybe, but that's down to the judgement of the manager and board in deciding what his prospective worth could be. This time a young player wasn't offered enough to convince him to stay before a bigger move came along.. and who could blame him? He could have been a young pro at a Conference club in twelve month's time rather than trying his hand at the right end of the Championship and a higher cushion to land on if he doesn't quite make the grade at Boro..

The last point is the key. Then he becomes the sort of player that Town take on loan for a year.

I think the OP is right. This is now the only way to work with academies, be an academy to bigger academies and take what rake off you can get. If at all possible get a sell on clause.

The days of building our own team from our own juniors have gone. I don’t like that but the club must survive. Develop and sell is the name of the game.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
louth_in_the_south
May 25, 2019, 4:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
Can anyone on here actually tell me how good this lad is - I’ve got no idea as I’m sure a lot of others haven’t either ?!

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
rancido
May 25, 2019, 5:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from MarinerMart
Nope. We do all the hard work and the player and his new club get the benefit  We get a few quid for our troubles and sign players no better than we have already.

When I was in my late teens/early 20's ( late 1960's) I had many friends who served apprenticeships or were put through further education by their companies only to leave for better/higher paid jobs at other places once trained. This is no different. Any company invests in it's youth by training them knowing full well that some will leave when trained . It's a gamble they take - unfortunately that's life.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 25, 2019, 5:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Can anyone on here actually tell me how good this lad is - I’ve got no idea as I’m sure a lot of others haven’t either ?!

Does it matter? Seriously, all that matters is how good someone thinks he is and what they offered.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.