May 21, 2019, 8:54pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.13
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Why's that then LM? What's happened?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
Marinerz93
May 21, 2019, 8:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
[youtube]bFEoMO0pc7k[/youtube]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
Limerick Mariner
May 21, 2019, 9:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,502
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Why's that then LM? What's happened?

Well my daddy come on the 0hio works
When he come home from world war two
Now the yards just scrap and rubble
He said, "Them big boys did what Hitler couldn't do"
These mills they built the tanks and bombs
That won this country's wars
We sent our sons to Korea and Vietnam
Now we're wondering what they were dyin' for

Here in Youngstown
Here in Youngstown
My sweet Jenny, I'm sinkin' down
Here darlin' in Youngstown

From the Monongaleh valley
To the Mesabi iron range
To the coal mines of Appalacchia
The story's always the same
Seven-hundred tons of metal a day
Now sir you tell me the world's changed
Once I made you rich enough
Rich enough to forget my name

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/may/21/british-steel-administration-jobs-government-loan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
Gaffer58
May 22, 2019, 7:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
Although I personally don't care if scunny united actually go down the plug hole but, like others on here I have worked on the steelworks ( 40 years) and would not wish the closure, still have mates,colleagues working there. Once again I get the impression senior management, basically Greybull, have screwed over the workforce. Incidentally, how come under EU law, World Trade Organisation rules the government cannot bail them out, but when it came to the banking crisis some 10 years ago the had billions to give?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
KingstonMariner
May 22, 2019, 7:57pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Well my daddy come on the 0hio works
When he come home from world war two
Now the yards just scrap and rubble
He said, "Them big boys did what Hitler couldn't do"
These mills they built the tanks and bombs
That won this country's wars
We sent our sons to Korea and Vietnam
Now we're wondering what they were dyin' for

Here in Youngstown
Here in Youngstown
My sweet Jenny, I'm sinkin' down
Here darlin' in Youngstown

From the Monongaleh valley
To the Mesabi iron range
To the coal mines of Appalacchia
The story's always the same
Seven-hundred tons of metal a day
Now sir you tell me the world's changed
Once I made you rich enough
Rich enough to forget my name

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/may/21/british-steel-administration-jobs-government-loan

I didn’t listen to the song yesterday and I didn’t make the connection. Doh!

It’ll be absolutely devastating for Scunny. A real crying shame if it folds all for the want of a few quid (relatively speaking). I think in reality it’s for the lack of political will - the Tories are still dominated by this belief in the free market. It’ll end up costing the country a lot more than £30 million and as someone else pointed out, a way was found to bail out the banks.

I understand that the ‘law’ (though which law wasn’t specified by the minister) prevents state aid that isn’t on commercial terms. Well there’s nothing stopping those terms being a stake in the company - it was fine with Lloyds and RBS.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
KingstonMariner
May 22, 2019, 7:59pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Gaffer58
Although I personally don't care if scunny united actually go down the plug hole but, like others on here I have worked on the steelworks ( 40 years) and would not wish the closure, still have mates,colleagues working there. Once again I get the impression senior management, basically Greybull, have screwed over the workforce. Incidentally, how come under EU law, World Trade Organisation rules the government cannot bail them out, but when it came to the banking crisis some 10 years ago the had billions to give?

Ten years ago it was a Labour government. They didn’t hide behind the EU.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
Maringer
May 22, 2019, 9:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -11
Approval: +16,073
Gold Stars: 175

Well there’s nothing stopping those terms being a stake in the company - it was fine with Lloyds and RBS.

Nothing other than ideology. Strange how countries such as Germany, Italy, France etc etc etc all have heavy manufacturing industries despite the state aid rules, isn't it? Whenever their heavy industry is put under pressure, they always seem to come out of it still operational.

Interesting article about this from a few years ago:

https://www.europeanfutures.ed.ac.uk/article-2847
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
Limerick Mariner
May 23, 2019, 3:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,502
Gold Stars: 131

I didn’t listen to the song yesterday and I didn’t make the connection. Doh!

It’ll be absolutely devastating for Scunny. A real crying shame if it folds all for the want of a few quid (relatively speaking). I think in reality it’s for the lack of political will - the Tories are still dominated by this belief in the free market. It’ll end up costing the country a lot more than £30 million and as someone else pointed out, a way was found to bail out the banks.

I understand that the ‘law’ (though which law wasn’t specified by the minister) prevents state aid that isn’t on commercial terms. Well there’s nothing stopping those terms being a stake in the company - it was fine with Lloyds and RBS.

Coming from Brigg, British Steel was the biggest employment option for all that didn't go to Uni, and nowhere near as many did in my day. Everyone would know someone who worked there or for one of the contractors they used. If it closed then Scunny would end up like Corby and the whole of North / NE Lincs would feel the impact. But what about the strategic impact and, ref. to the Bruce Springsteen song, the UK military isn't going to be soley about cyberwar is it, presumably it will still need some steel? Or will the military rely on China for its manufacturing requirements? Perhaps that is wrong and steel will soon be history in the UK [url]https://www.ft.com/content/c30caf5a-fb2a-11e5-8f41-df5bda8beb40[/url]...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
KingstonMariner
May 23, 2019, 4:39pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Coming from Brigg, British Steel was the biggest employment option for all that didn't go to Uni, and nowhere near as many did in my day. Everyone would know someone who worked there or for one of the contractors they used. If it closed then Scunny would end up like Corby and the whole of North / NE Lincs would feel the impact. But what about the strategic impact and, ref. to the Bruce Springsteen song, the UK military isn't going to be soley about cyberwar is it, presumably it will still need some steel? Or will the military rely on China for its manufacturing requirements? Perhaps that is wrong and steel will soon be history in the UK [url]https://www.ft.com/content/c30caf5a-fb2a-11e5-8f41-df5bda8beb40[/url]...

Absolutely right. There seems to be no strategic thinking in the government. It’s all about the here and now and the quick buck, and blame the EU for not intervening in industry when other countries manage to do so.

You’re right about it not just affecting Scunny. Not so many do now, but loads of people in GY used to work there. My brother did as recently as 3 years ago.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Song for Scunny

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.