Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where Do You Want Us To Be ?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 136 Guests

Where Do You Want Us To Be ?

This thread currently has 3,906 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
May 18, 2019, 1:14pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Once we have a new stadium and a new owner where do you want us to be ?

I can not see us paying our way with  12,000 max crowds  being a championship club well not for more than a season or two,

I will be happy with us being mid to top half L1 one club and the odd good cup run , I would rather have that than put ourselves in debt to whoever and overstretching  ending up in the position we are in now,

Some will say well Bournemouth have managed to be a prem team and are holding their own but that would be a miracle if we could do it unless Michael Jolley can prove me wrong.

So what are your expectations ? Like I said winning more games than losing would be good and halfway up L1 is our level imo.

Plus having  good facilities  to enjoy a match day along side entertaining football good food and drink is what life is all about.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
lee65
May 18, 2019, 2:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
Best case, mid League 1 regularly, odd dalliance with play off, and a couple of relegations in and out of League 2

Of course, stability in League 2 is not yet a done deal, important summer for reinforcements  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
Roast Em Bobby
May 18, 2019, 3:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,706
Gold Stars: 43
I'm not massively bothered what division we are in, or about a new ground, I was just want to see good football, youngsters coming through and a team that puts in a shift and wins more home games than not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
Kris2
May 18, 2019, 3:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
You talk like we are imminently about to get a new stadium built and a new owner in the next couple of seasons.....

Jolley will be a distant memory by the time that happens I imagine. Many of the people on this forum probably will too  . Realistically at this point I want GTFC to build themselves as an established League 2 team that can consistently finish mid to top half without ever really looking like being relegated. Then maybe 7-8 seasons time becoming a playoff chasing team that can have a chance at going up.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
grimsby pete
May 18, 2019, 3:33pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from Kris2
You talk like we are imminently about to get a new stadium built and a new owner in the next couple of seasons.....

No Kris I do not expect we will be in a new stadium for at least 5 years if then and I do not expect us to do a Bournemouth either just putting it out there for  something Jolley might want  to do before moving on.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 18, 2019, 4:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
I'm not massively bothered what division we are in, or about a new ground, I was just want to see good football, youngsters coming through and a team that puts in a shift and wins more home games than not.

I know what you mean but life isn't like that, at least not in football. Unless you are actively trying to go up a level you will certainly go down a level within a short space of time. We have to keep trying to punch above our weight and not just accept that a poor budget means a mediocre outcome in the league.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
Rick12
May 18, 2019, 4:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from grimsby pete
Once we have a new stadium and a new owner where do you want us to be ?

I will be happy with us being mid to top half L1 one club and the odd good cup run , I would rather have that than put ourselves in debt to whoever and overstretching  ending up in the position we are in now,

Nailed it for me. I cant see us ever competing in the championship given the way football has changed  eg all business now unless someone rich comes in and invest in us.Given our geographic location and the size of the town I cant see that happening though.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 18, 2019, 4:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Rick12
Nailed it for me. I cant see us ever competing in the championship given the way football has changed  eg all business now unless someone rich comes in and invest in us.Given our geographic location and the size of the town I cant see that happening though.

We never competed when we were in old Div Two Rick. Sufficient money never came through the turnstiles with gates the size they were. The only way to do it is to be a selling club plus have reasonably wealthy backers. We can do the first part, develop and sell on youngsters but as you say, who would back us?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
wigworld
May 18, 2019, 4:28pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 29
I think we have the potential to be a bit like Barnsley or Peterborough, hovering between the Championship and League 1.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 30
moosey_club
May 18, 2019, 4:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,142
Gold Stars: 220
Quite honestly i dont care....if i felt i was a valued supporter watching my team competing at whatever level we were at with some entertainment and something to genuinely make me cheer and get excited i would be happy.

Would add...for too long now i have hardly felt any affinity to the team, yes i support them, suffer the lows and get off on the highs but apart from Macca and Clifton of the current crop i hardly feel a jot for any of them.....footballers playing 4/5/10 seasons for you is a rarity nowadays but seemed the norm when i started following Town. Players like Wainman, Batch, Stone, Brolly all stayed local after they finished and i had them up on preverbial pedestals.....closest we have come to anyone of that ilk in the last 10 yrs is Disley.

I want that feeling back as well.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where Do You Want Us To Be ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.