Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Floodlights
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 172 Guests

Floodlights

This thread currently has 37,960 views. Print
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Fishy_fishtails
May 30, 2019, 9:54pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: -345
Right. Well if we aren't having new floodlights I'm not renewing my season ticket.  I was really looking forward to seeing them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 184
Kris2
May 30, 2019, 11:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from ivanosandwich
The way I read was if we take them down and build new, we would need a loan from the Football Foundation and they may expect that loan to be paid back if we were to move within 10 years, the other alternative is we take them with us to our new ground.

I don't see this as a cheap option, it's more of a good business decision.

It wouldn't be an issue because we won't have a new ground within 10 years  . Just another cutting financial corners venture by the club. Tbh if you think we'd get a new stadium in time for this to matter you're probably as deluded as people who thought we'd have a new stadium within 10 years in 2009.

The writing was on the wall by 2003 when all the great plans were drawn to a halt because a village of less than 1500 people managed to scare retailers and the council away. We had the sponsors,the council backing and retailers ready to move in and we failed to build a new stadium. How the hell are we doing it in the next 10 years with no sponsors,no council backing and zero retailers ready to invest in development. Clearly everyone at the club knows too since money has been spent on ladies toilets and disabled facilities for our decrepit and severely lacking in facilities ground.
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 184
arryarryarry
May 30, 2019, 11:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from ivanosandwich
The way I read was if we take them down and build new, we would need a loan from the Football Foundation and they may expect that loan to be paid back if we were to move within 10 years, the other alternative is we take them with us to our new ground.

I don't see this as a cheap option, it's more of a good business decision.

That's all very well and I don't see a problem with that except it just confirms that those who run this club are bloody hopeless if they didn't know this before making a statement that the whole pylons were coming down.
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 184
GYinScuntland
May 31, 2019, 1:33am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Fishy_fishtails
Right. Well if we aren't having new floodlights I'm not renewing my season ticket.  I was really looking forward to seeing them.

This might well be all tongue in cheek but that's not the point.
It's just another example of the rot and decay that's happened to our once famous football ground over the last few decades.

One where we pay top dollar to enter and do our best to encourage our beloved football team but where I feel we just get treated with contempt.

Be honest, who here would hand over a twenty to go somewhere else where if took short you would have to queue up for ten minutes to poo and not be able to wipe you're bottom because of no toilet paper?
Then not be able to wash you're hands because there is no hot water, or soap, or paper towels or god forbid a hand dryer.
Ring any bells for what is supposed to be the newest stand in the ground?

Many have touched on the catering, it's not even a joke anymore since they took the infamous Chessburger sign down.
The bars are beyond a joke, the the staff do their very best, beyond the call if you ask me but are they fit for purpose when it's one in and one out when we manage a 5 or 6,000 crowd?

You reserve a seat and you know which one is yours because the seagull excrement stays on it all season unless you wipe it off yourself, it's pure contempt of the customer.

Lick of paint? No need, it was done in the 80's.

People might say Blundell Park is an old ground and there's only so much you can do with it.

My gaff is older than me but I'm not shitting in a 50's toilet or cooking in a 60's kitchen, I had them renovated at a decent cost by getting quotes and being arsed to get the work done. Years ago, not waiting until they were decrepit and unfit for purpose.

Does anyone really accept that it would cost a small fortune to bring the toilets up to date from the bloody 80's?

Smash the lot out, skip it, new kit, bit of tiling and job done.
Happy local tradesmen, happy Blundell park customers.

We aren't going anywhere soon but with a bit of work BP could be brought up to spec.
Unfortunately I feel the place is a dump, an embarrassment and far from worth the entrance fee.
The club are very fortunate to have every single Mariner who pays to go in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 184
ivanosandwich
May 31, 2019, 6:25am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,468
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from Kris2

It wouldn't be an issue because we won't have a new ground within 10 years  . Just another cutting financial corners venture by the club. Tbh if you think we'd get a new stadium in time for this to matter you're probably as deluded as people who thought we'd have a new stadium within 10 years in 2009.

The writing was on the wall by 2003 when all the great plans were drawn to a halt because a village of less than 1500 people managed to scare retailers and the council away. We had the sponsors,the council backing and retailers ready to move in and we failed to build a new stadium. How the hell are we doing it in the next 10 years with no sponsors,no council backing and zero retailers ready to invest in development. Clearly everyone at the club knows too since money has been spent on ladies toilets and disabled facilities for our decrepit and severely lacking in facilities ground.

I also doubt that we will move within 10 years.

There were a couple of strategically placed "if's" in my post. I was just pointing out the reasons given to why the current pylons are being modified rather than replaced.

However, if your response was the trigger to sound off once again at Fenty and the Council, then be my guest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 184
ivanosandwich
May 31, 2019, 6:26am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,468
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from arryarryarry

That's all very well and I don't see a problem with that except it just confirms that those who run this club are bloody hopeless if they didn't know this before making a statement that the whole pylons were coming down.

Can't argue with that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 184
grimsby pete
May 31, 2019, 11:23am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
As long as we move before the 10 years is up it makes good business sense.

I just hope we move before the 10 years is up.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 184
Ipswin
May 31, 2019, 11:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from grimsby pete
As long as we move before the 10 years is up it makes good business sense.

I just hope we move before the 10 years is up.

We'll not live to see it Pete, in fact half of those on here won't either! How's the knee? Is that the second one?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 184
Les Brechin
May 31, 2019, 1:23pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from jamesgtfc
IF we ever move ground in the next 10 years and had to pay back our grant as we couldn't take the new pylons with us, those very fans complaining of us taking the cheap option would be complaining about us not taking the cheap option!

That's one of the funniest things I've read on here for a long time.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 184
grimsby pete
May 31, 2019, 2:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Ipswin

We'll not live to see it Pete, in fact half of those on here won't either! How's the knee? Is that the second one?

Yes my second knee replacement went well Swin and I have just finished my physio  not allowed to drive for another 2 weeks until I get the ok off the surgeon .

I will be surprised if we ever sit in the new stadium mate we will be well gone by the time it appears if it ever gets built.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 184
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Floodlights

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.