Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Floodlights
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 303 Guests

Floodlights

This thread currently has 37,974 views. Print
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 30, 2019, 10:12am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

In respect of this post and my earlier one, this is the problem when one man wields all the power.

Everything is viewed through the prism of his eyes; in this case what he considers to be improvements to the stadium.

Everyone outside the Fenty mindset can see that is clearly a preposterous thing for him to say. He has been in sole charge for a decade and a half or whatever it is and the rest of us can see a dirty, run down and outdated stadium which he has managed to make WORSE. He likes  being hands on, but I am afraid that is simply not good enough. BP isn't there as a plaything for him to act out his DIY fantasies - well actually it is but that is the problem.

We have to face facts; BP will be our home for a long time yet. Why not embrace that fact and actually do something with it, apart from what the EFL tell us we must do?

One man with a cheap as chips vision is not going to cut the mustard. What is Mr. Fenty planning to do about it?

But that is an incidental in his mind. What he sees as a good club is simple - one that is not bankrupt. He will have Shaun Harvey’s words on his office wall by now.

That was the point of my previous post about loose change. There is no new money in this so-called improvement to the ground. It is not investment to make it more welcoming to the faithful despite the disabled lift which I’d have thought any club would have had years ago. It is money being spent because it must be spent - the arm is being twisted. Yes it might help to have a bit of PC publicity on stuff like a women’s team but so what? How will that get us promoted? The main income through the gate is people wanting to see a game of football at a good standard which their team has a good chance of winning. They are the bread & butter for the club. Treat them right before you start thinking on fanciful schemes.

Investment in the club starts on the pitch and only then moves to the toilet rolls.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 184
lew chaterleys lover
May 30, 2019, 10:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236

But that is an incidental in his mind. What he sees as a good club is simple - one that is not bankrupt. He will have Shaun Harvey’s words on his office wall by now.

That was the point of my previous post about loose change. There is no new money in this so-called improvement to the ground. It is not investment to make it more welcoming to the faithful despite the disabled lift which I’d have thought any club would have had years ago. It is money being spent because it must be spent - the arm is being twisted. Yes it might help to have a bit of PC publicity on stuff like a women’s team but so what? How will that get us promoted? The main income through the gate is people wanting to see a game of football at a good standard which their team has a good chance of winning. They are the bread & butter for the club. Treat them right before you start thinking on fanciful schemes.

Investment in the club starts on the pitch and only then moves to the toilet rolls.

I think it is fair to say that as per your tagline, we have reached for the ceiling, and have managed to fall through the floor.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 184
Bigdog
May 30, 2019, 10:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162

I think it is fair to say that as per your tagline, we have reached for the ceiling, and have managed to fall through the floor.

For once I'm going to have to disagree with you. The club hasn't reached for anything in the past twenty years, not even the tops of the skirting boards never mind the ceiling. They've tried to drag themselves from the basement up to the ground floor for six years and now are trying to find the least precarious bit of floor to be comfortable on while our peer clubs are moving on a few floors above..

It's shameful what's happened to our club, and the powers that be are oblivious due to lack of know-how and ability or because they can't look at themselves and accept that they are failing, and god forbid in their eyes, failing those pesky fans who they see as their nemesis..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 184
Hagrid
May 30, 2019, 2:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,373
Gold Stars: 532
Floodlight pylon stays, top third taken off. What a mess
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 184
OllieGTFC
May 30, 2019, 3:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
Cheap option yet again

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 184
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 30, 2019, 3:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Cheap option yet again

If the base of the pylon is serviceable why not use it?  That is not a cheap option I object to if the lights at the top are good and the money saved is put to use elsewhere. It’s that last bit that have doubts about.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 184
OllieGTFC
May 30, 2019, 3:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293

If the base of the pylon is serviceable why not use it?  That is not a cheap option I object to if the lights at the top are good and the money saved is put to use elsewhere. It’s that last bit that have doubts about.

Well let’s see if they modernise them, touch of paint wouldn’t go a miss

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 184
Ipswin
May 30, 2019, 3:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89

Its a win / win , JSF will be able to change the bulbs with a shorter (cheaper) ladder

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 184
tintowner
May 30, 2019, 4:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +603
Gold Stars: 20
Its probably going to resemble what Workington did to their floodlights quite a few years ago.

They were very similar to those at BP.......tall and proud.

They were deemed partly unsafe. So they were basically cut in half and the lamps attached to them.

They didn't look right, but they did the job required.

https://thebeautifulhistory.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/workingtonissuedbyclub.jpg

Batch, K.Moore, Waters, Wiggington, Crombie, Brolly, Ford, Drinkell, Mitchell, Cumming, Kilmore. D.Moore, Stone, Liddell. ....1979/80..... now that WAS a team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 184
marinerdazza
May 30, 2019, 4:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,843
Gold Stars: 82
As recent as 4 or 5 days ago it was re-confirmed they were being taken down and replaced. Now it seems they've reviewed it and for some reason it's not viable.

Which suggests to me that until this week, no one actually looked into it properly.

I've no problem with saving money, especially when it might be dead money. But christ almighty this all looks very amateurish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 184
19 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Floodlights

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.