5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
May 17, 2019, 12:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
I think were nailed on to be bottom half barring a miraculous bit of wheeler dealing with transfers and our young players performing better than expected. I don`t see us getting relegated BUT given these awful runs we seem to have it could easily happen . MJ a year and a bit into the job should now know his way around League 2 and I expect him to at the very least have us organised and drilled and with the base of a squad already in place I expect to see further improvement . As usual all teams at our level need that goalscorer that`s what makes the difference we get one of those in we will do better than most.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 43
MuddyWaters
May 17, 2019, 12:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from 1mickylyons
I think were nailed on to be bottom half barring a miraculous bit of wheeler dealing with transfers and our young players performing better than expected. I don`t see us getting relegated BUT given these awful runs we seem to have it could easily happen . MJ a year and a bit into the job should now know his way around League 2 and I expect him to at the very least have us organised and drilled and with the base of a squad already in place I expect to see further improvement . As usual all teams at our level need that goalscorer that`s what makes the difference we get one of those in we will do better than most.

I don't see much of a base of a squad if I'm honest. Hess, Hendrie, Macca & Vernam OK but beyond that? Ohman looks like he could get booked every game, Harry is very inconsistent, Wright & Rose maybe off the bench, Cook grafts but little end product and Cardwell & Ring just don't look good enough.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 43
FishOutOfWater
May 17, 2019, 1:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from RichMariner
Literally one person has sat down and decided those odds. There will be zero cash in the market, so until people start placing some bets those odds will remain the opinion of one person.

There's no algorithm for this. Bookies don't usually offer markets like this because there's not a lot of people taking part. The money, like in the sport itself, is right at the top.

Those odds are no different from some random person off the street saying 'I think Grimsby are favourites for relegation next season' and it'll be based on nothing more than a questionably-informed hunch.

I was wondering how he was getting on after Notre Dame burnt down...  

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 32 - 43
lew chaterleys lover
May 17, 2019, 3:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,648
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from RichMariner
Literally one person has sat down and decided those odds. There will be zero cash in the market, so until people start placing some bets those odds will remain the opinion of one person.

There's no algorithm for this. Bookies don't usually offer markets like this because there's not a lot of people taking part. The money, like in the sport itself, is right at the top.

Those odds are no different from some random person off the street saying 'I think Grimsby are favourites for relegation next season' and it'll be based on nothing more than a questionably-informed hunch.

Of course you are correct, but I don't think that is the point.

If we hadn't had a terrible couple of decades, had not finished 18th and 17th in the last two seasons, had not got a non-investing non-chairman then the opinion of one person might seem a tad harsh.

Anybody that is not a Grimsby fan will look at the club and quite rightly will come to the conclusion that they will be favourites for the drop.

We haven't signed a star player for years; there is no chance we will sign enough quality players this time round either.

We have to face the unpalatable truth that we are a struggling league 2 / Conference club and unless something dramatic happens we will stay that way.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 43
carrot top
May 17, 2019, 3:41pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
Every division has teams struggling near the foot of the table. That is how football works and unfortunately I see Town really struggling to avoid relegation without investment.
I always thought we would have to rebuild following some of the shocking and non entertaining performances this past season, so it is no surprise that average players have gone.
It has been said before that the break up of the conference promotion squad has cost us dear as we have struggled to put a decent squad together along with 4 different managers in that short space of time
Time will tell but I am not confident with this current regime of custodians to deliver

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 43
Gaffer58
May 17, 2019, 3:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
Although we may think that we are bottom half yet again next season, as long as we beat the scunts home and away and finish above them, then in my eyes thats success.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 43
Les Brechin
May 17, 2019, 4:26pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Gaffer58
Although we may think that we are bottom half yet again next season, as long as we beat the scunts home and away and finish above them, then in my eyes thats success.

Only as long as they don't finish bottom!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 43
Gaffer58
May 17, 2019, 4:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Les Brechin

Only as long as they don't finish bottom!

Good point Les.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 43
GrimRob
May 17, 2019, 5:33pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Pin the odds on the dressing room wall first game of the season

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 38 - 43
FishOutOfWater
May 17, 2019, 5:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Gaffer58

Good point Les.

It would work if Scunny finish second from bottom though!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 39 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Betting Next Season

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.