lew chaterleys lover
May 16, 2019, 12:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Bigdog
It's true for footballers, life has to be balanced. But.. if there was enough justication for a footballer to believe in GTFC on and off the pitch there would be a little more weight on our side of the scales before they made any decisions about their future. There was a time when location was never mentioned as a problem and using it as a perennial excuse is like trying to use a tiny fig leaf to cover an unadulterated mess. Footballers aren't stupid, they see and feel the same problems as the fans, and being right in the thick of it, probably more so. RHJ and Whitmore clear off for more game time elsewhere because the manager played Collins over them rather than letting them feel like they're wanted and Davis looks like he's on his way because he feels project GTFC isn't enough for him to weigh off against personal preferences. All we need now is Macca to sign for Scunny to start from scratch again.

Didn't say anything earlier.. but how the hell does a football club launch (and I use this word very loosely) its season tickets without a 10 month payment plan? Could they not foresee an outcry or problems with take up? And then reactionary as always magically get together one two weeks later. It's only one off the pitch point to make but the club is riddled with this attitude throughout and no wonder players can't wait to leave us. At this point in time, I can't find a single bit of evidence to argue with the bookies making us strong favourites for relegation. Be as loyal as you want and disagree, but it's time fans opened up their eyes fully to all of the consequences of how our club is run. The problems are maybe not all connected, but add up to a very poor image, and result in players like Davis wanting to leave. He wouldn't even think twice of leaving the Gimps down the road if they'd have lost out in the play-offs this season..

It will come as no surprise when I say I agree with all of that.

Even players we have recruited from part time non league, to give them their "big" break can't get away fast enough, perhaps coming to the conclusion whence they came is more professional than this.

It is a mess, but like all companies it mirrors the man at the top, and the culture and tone they set for the company.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 82
lukeo
May 16, 2019, 1:04pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
He's human. He (I. Assume) wants to be closer to home.. Regardless of what people do for a job they're still human. intercourse if I had a chance I'd have my family down here with me again (long sad story!) and I'm 30!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 82
jimgtfc
May 16, 2019, 1:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,011
Gold Stars: 40
Has this been confirmed anywhere? All I can find is something on Twitter from someone who usually spouts shite on there. (Apologies if itโ€™s true ๐Ÿ˜‚)

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 82
Fishy_fishtails
May 16, 2019, 1:50pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: -345
Where does it say he wants to be nearer to Manchester? Haven't seen it anywhere? Can someone post the link please?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 82
Numanoid
May 16, 2019, 2:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +152
Gold Stars: 14
It was on sports bulletin on radio humberside  this morning
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 82
Grimal
May 16, 2019, 3:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from fiveallive
You wonder if a team like Salford have enquired probably looking to bolster along with Pond, Piergianni has been excellent for them but he's now jumping 2 leagues with them now so maybe there looking at someone like Davis to bolster the ranks a bit.

Pure speculation on my part but you never know.

I'm sorry but I've seen Piergianni play quite a few times and  in my opinion he's ten times the player Davis is.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 82
Northbank Mariner
May 16, 2019, 4:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from Grimal

I'm sorry but I've seen Piergianni play quite a few times and  in my opinion he's ten times the player Davis is.

And to add to that, Salford have the ability to fund players of significant better quality than Davis so hardly think he'd even be on their radar.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 82
marinerdazza
May 16, 2019, 4:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
Maybe Crewe want him back, given his rapport with their fans.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 82
RichMariner
May 16, 2019, 4:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
The trouble is, a footballer at this level doesn't earn shed loads - so they can't entirely relocate to the area.

It'd be different if the club was in League 1, or even the Championship, where TV and sponsorship money is naturally much higher. We could afford to give players 3-year contracts of a few grand every week, which makes buying a house and relocating their families much, much easier.

Suddenly, location isn't such an issue any more.

There would still be footballers who'd turn down the extra cash to continue living and working in the bigger cities, but the bigger salaries would certainly help with relocating.

As it is, in the position we're in, players get year-by-year deals, on not a huge amount (in football terms) and it's never enough to convince them to relocate and bring their families along. If you're living away from your girlfriend, wife, kids, mates, then it's no wonder you get the stories that have been mentioned in that Linwood podcast.

That's why it's more important than ever that we recruit not just good footballers but good people too.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 38 - 82
devs
May 16, 2019, 4:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,960
Gold Stars: 30
Pointless thread based on hearsay and rumour
A few getting angry about something that might not even happen!

For the record...

Why is 'MJ a disgrace'? If a player wants away he will go

Re; comments about our poor defence...we conceded the same as Bury who got promoted; and conceded three less than Newport who might get promoted

Get your facts straight and calm down!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Harry Davis

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.