9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
May 16, 2019, 10:17am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
I thought Davis was ok and steady enough but Ohman better and we need a footballing centre half alongside him who can pass the ball out. On that basis Davis would have been second choice and he probably knows that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 82
arryarryarry
May 16, 2019, 10:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Tommy
He didn't seem a bad player, but are we really that bothered?

He was part of a side that finished 17th in Division 4.

I'd have probably kept him as part of a pool of centre-backs in the new squad but I'm not going to cry about losing him and we can certainly do better if we want to progress.

I agree, at times our defence was pretty poor so hopefully we can improve it.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 82
marinerdazza
May 16, 2019, 10:19am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from Tommy
He didn't seem a bad player, but are we really that bothered?

He was part of a side that finished 17th in Division 4.

I'd have probably kept him as part of a pool of centre-backs in the new squad but I'm not going to cry about losing him and we can certainly do better if we want to progress.

He was ok. But I agree with this. I wish them all the best, but we're hardly breaking up a title winning squad here are we? Defence stats were awful last year and the facts speak for themselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 82
Bigdog
May 16, 2019, 10:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
It's true for footballers, life has to be balanced. But.. if there was enough justication for a footballer to believe in GTFC on and off the pitch there would be a little more weight on our side of the scales before they made any decisions about their future. There was a time when location was never mentioned as a problem and using it as a perennial excuse is like trying to use a tiny fig leaf to cover an unadulterated mess. Footballers aren't stupid, they see and feel the same problems as the fans, and being right in the thick of it, probably more so. RHJ and Whitmore clear off for more game time elsewhere because the manager played Collins over them rather than letting them feel like they're wanted and Davis looks like he's on his way because he feels project GTFC isn't enough for him to weigh off against personal preferences. All we need now is Macca to sign for Scunny to start from scratch again.

Didn't say anything earlier.. but how the hell does a football club launch (and I use this word very loosely) its season tickets without a 10 month payment plan? Could they not foresee an outcry or problems with take up? And then reactionary as always magically get together one two weeks later. It's only one off the pitch point to make but the club is riddled with this attitude throughout and no wonder players can't wait to leave us. At this point in time, I can't find a single bit of evidence to argue with the bookies making us strong favourites for relegation. Be as loyal as you want and disagree, but it's time fans opened up their eyes fully to all of the consequences of how our club is run. The problems are maybe not all connected, but add up to a very poor image, and result in players like Davis wanting to leave. He wouldn't even think twice of leaving the Gimps down the road if they'd have lost out in the play-offs this season..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 82
Northbank Mariner
May 16, 2019, 10:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Life’s not black and white though is it Northbank. Nor is it static and we don’t know if anything has changed in Davis’ life.

It’s potentially worrying though that our hopes of not needing a major influx of new players is looking less likely.

Absolutely right KM the football world is fluid, but when players are deciding their future lies elsewhere away from Grimsby, without, as far as we know, another job to walk into I'd be asking why?..
As a contractor myself I go where the work is, knowing I'll be away from home and away from my family but I'd not just walk away without a job to go to ..
And, for as much as people may say we need better, our best defensive performances this year have been with RHJ, Whitmore and Davis in the back line...all of who have now walked away....not been let go by the club but walked on their own accord...there has to be a reason why...and it makes me wonder how many others would have walked be it not for the fact they are contracted to the club for a minimum of another 12 months...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 82
HertsGTFC
May 16, 2019, 10:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,636
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from Numanoid
Looks like  he's off ! Wants to be nearer to his family in Manchester according to radio uĺl anyway !

4 weeks before the end of the season he was happy to stay so he said on RH.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 82
1mickylyons
May 16, 2019, 10:31am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Absolutely right KM the football world is fluid, but when players are deciding their future lies elsewhere away from Grimsby, without, as far as we know, another job to walk into I'd be asking why?..
As a contractor myself I go where the work is, knowing I'll be away from home and away from my family but I'd not just walk away without a job to go to ..
And, for as much as people may say we need better, our best defensive performances this year have been with RHJ, Whitmore and Davis in the back line...all of who have now walked away....not been let go by the club but walked on their own accord...there has to be a reason why...and it makes me wonder how many others would have walked be it not for the fact they are contracted to the club for a minimum of another 12 months...

Wages/Contract seems a logical starting point?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 82
louth_in_the_south
May 16, 2019, 10:35am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
I really don’t know what the fuss is about him if he does leave . He’s a bang average player imo who was part of a pretty bang average team that finished 17th ffs . I reckon it’s a good thing that all these players are going. With any luck we’ll find better who weren’t happy to get the sun loungers out by mid feb .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 82
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 16, 2019, 10:42am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
I really don’t know what the fuss is about him if he does leave . He’s a bang average player imo who was part of a pretty bang average team that finished 17th ffs . I reckon it’s a good thing that all these players are going. With any luck we’ll find better who weren’t happy to get the sun loungers out by mid feb .

Good luck finding them ......... and better luck getting them to sign!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 82
louth_in_the_south
May 16, 2019, 10:46am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
I’ve got a feeling these players who are choosing to leave probably know they’re going to get a lot less game time next season and are finding new clubs . Probably in the conference as I can’t see clubs queuing up to sign the likes of them .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Harry Davis

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.