Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Linwood Interview
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 366 Guests

The last message you viewed in this thread was reply number 69.

Paul Linwood Interview

This thread currently has 30,901 views. Print
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
devs
May 16, 2019, 5:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,960
Gold Stars: 30
His claim of 15 pints a session might be to impress his 'Alpha Male' mates on the interview
I wouldn't have Paul Dixon in the worst team - based on attitude etc I think he gave 100%
It just never worked out for him

There is so much goes on at footy clubs just like any business - and it is incredibly hard for any manager to deal with

Good news is all that shower of shite have left but Neil is doing a great job with the academy etc - and with several good players coming through they will certainly have been influenced by a top pro

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 147
Maringer
May 16, 2019, 5:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
"Newelly", FFS.

Indicates the sort of intellect that Woods had to work with when he took over. Linwood himself says all you need to know about the character of them.

Makes you wish that Laws had been in charge, because at least one or two of them might have got a well-deserved smack!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 147
bradzmilne
May 16, 2019, 5:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,359
Gold Stars: 29
Makes you wonder if it could have been different under Woods with the right set of players

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 147
Meza
May 16, 2019, 5:37pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,634
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Kris2

There were definitely a couple of party boys among the younger players we had at the club. Can't really name names anymore since The Fishy might get shut down again when somebody doesn't like the truth. Peter Bore however is one lad who was never a drinker at the club, was friends with my sister and her friends and they always said he never drank when he was out. Tales of some other young players were a bit different though  .

Well he's making up for it now as he's always out.  He's been seeing my sister.  Although she claims we are just friends.  

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 147
Abdul19
May 16, 2019, 5:55pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from bradzmilne
Makes you wonder if it could have been different under Woods with the right set of players

He had the chance to sign the right set of players but went for Lewis Gobern instead.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 147
jonnyboy82
May 16, 2019, 5:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
The bloke seems proud to have been in a pathetic excuse of a team.

What an absolute weirdo.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 147
Les Brechin
May 16, 2019, 6:41pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from promotion plaice

Can anyone provide a link please without having to sign in to Spotify or whatever it is ???

Here's the interview in all its gory details.

Quoted Text
Former Grimsby Town defender Paul Linwood has lifted the lid on the club’s final season before relegation from the Football League – and the drinking culture that was prevalent.

The Mariners were relegated from the EFL back in 2010, leading to six years in non-league before eventually returning to League Two in 2016.

Town started the 2009/10 season under then-manager Mike Newell, before the former Luton boss was sacked in October.

Youth Team coach Neil Woods took over, but couldn’t prevent the team from being relegated as they went down following defeat to Burton on the final day of the season.

Former Tranmere and Chester player Linwood had only joined the Mariners that same summer, and subsequently left the club following their relegation.

And, speaking to the I Had Trials Once… podcast, the 35-year-old spoke in detail about the events leading up to Town’s relegation from the Football League – including how players would drink on the way to training, and Newell’s unique team talk with a fire extinguisher.

Linwood said

"Have you seen the scene in Star Wars in the bar? It’s just like a weird bar – that’s every bar in Grimsby. I just didn’t take to it at all. We had all the money problems at Chester, I was owed loads of money, I was lending money left, right and centre. I had to tap into Jon Walters who was on a few quid at the time!

I signed a three-year deal at Grimsby. Mike Newell signed me – he was my old reserve team manager. It was just a team full of alcoholics – people talk about a drinking culture, but this was ridiculous.

The reason it went wrong is because Newelly got the sack early doors, and we all loved Newelly. We weren’t doing too great, but everyone had that respect for him and we’d just turned it round - we had loads of injuries. Newelly was the type of manager who would give you just enough rope to hang yourself, and we were just clawing it back.

One day, we got smashed by someone, and the Monday morning he came in. We’re all sat in the changing room, and Newelly’s coming down the corridor. “Everyone in the f***ing changing room now! Get in!”

Everyone’s like ‘f***ing hell’. The captain Matty Haywood stands up and just goes “listen lads, he’s good to us. If he goes off on one, no-one answers back, just take it.”

Anyway, he comes in with a fire extinguisher and starts squirting the f*** out of everyone!

We had loads of days and nights out, and we were turning it round. He had a falling out upstairs after one of the games, and he got the sack. The Youth Team manager took over. Now the Youth Team manager saw the older-ish lads there, and he just hated it. We all had a drink anyway, and Newelly used to join us – he was always with us, him and his assistant. He used to ring on a Tuesday and go “where are you?”

“Nowhere gaffer, we’re just in Costa.” “I know you’re in the pub, I’m coming!” It was good under Newelly, and the Youth Team manager came in and just hated all that. But it’s the worst thing he could have done because the players just rebelled against him, and there were a lot of big characters in that dressing room he couldn’t handle.

We got relegated. I signed three years, and did one season, but literally it was getting to a stage where all the wives and girlfriends never moved up. Because we were doing badly in the league, the wives and girlfriends were like “well we’ll stay at home, see how the season pans out. We might move up at Christmas, we might move at the end of the season.”

We were all within a two-mile radius of each other in massive houses. For about £500 a month, we had mansions. You’d finish training, Adam Proudlock on the Whatsapp group would say “lads, I’m just having a pint at the Laceby Arms”, and the whole squad would be in there. 15 pints, easy.

It was the only pub we could get away with it. It was in a tiny little village, and we were dead inconspicuous – we used to go in our kits!

Even I turned round one day and said “this has gone too far.” We’d had a Monday session – straight after training, we finished boozing about five that morning, and then we were in for training at nine the next day.

Adam Proudlock and Peter Sweeney came to pick us up, and both were just the most unbelievable players who had just tossed it off at this point. Those two came to pick me up after a session, and we were drinking cans of Fosters on the way to training, which is out of order because I f***ing hate Fosters!

I drank on the way to training, but in the end I was thinking “we need to sort ourselves out here. It's not fair on fans” because there were some good people there, but none of us took to Grimsby at all.

We got relegated. They had us by the balls really – we got relegated in the last game. If we’d have stayed up, my money would have gone up, and if we’d gone down my wages would’ve gone down 40 per cent, so they had everyone over a barrel just to leave without any pay-offs. A few quid and I was on my way".

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 147
bradzmilne
May 16, 2019, 7:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,359
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Abdul19

He had the chance to sign the right set of players but went for Lewis Gobern instead.

I don’t think anyone (Woods included) had any idea of what we had to expect when we went down to the conference.

Looking at our team the game we played in our first non-league game:

Arthur, Watt, Ridley, Kempson, Hudson, Bore, Leary, Wood (Eagle 58 ), Peacock, Coulson, Connell (Dixon 88 ).
Subs Not Used: Garner, Cummins, Samuels.

There’s a few decent players there. Just never really had any creativity from centre midfield or a striker to play alongside Connell. I’m slightly surprised that team didn’t perform better than it did.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 147
Ipswin
May 16, 2019, 8:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from devs

His claim of 15 pints a session might be to impress his 'Alpha Male' mates on the interview

15 pints? - lightweight! Not fit to refill Gally's glass (or lace his boots)

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 147
Squinter
May 16, 2019, 8:21pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +587
Gold Stars: 9
His work e-mail address is on his linkin profile if anybody fances a chat
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 147
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Linwood Interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.