hheh2
May 10, 2019, 1:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T4T8hJFzULw

Interesting video on how clubs can find success, Jolliey must be adapting this from his MA in Economics.

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
wigworld
May 10, 2019, 6:44pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 29
Thanks, I enjoyed that. Hopefully Jolley is playing the infinity game.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 7
KingstonMariner
May 11, 2019, 9:11am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
The Ferguson example is an interesting one. He was only able to do that by being given time in the first place. It took years before he won anything but the ManU board stuck by him. He then rewarded that patience by years at the top, and that gave him the buffer he needed when they hit that less successful spell mentioned in the noughties. Would he get that time today?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 7
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 11, 2019, 11:22am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from KingstonMariner
The Ferguson example is an interesting one. He was only able to do that by being given time in the first place. It took years before he won anything but the ManU board stuck by him. He then rewarded that patience by years at the top, and that gave him the buffer he needed when they hit that less successful spell mentioned in the noughties. Would he get that time today?

The cycle corresponds to the post Busby era doesn't it? A host of managers followed him, some very able ones like Tommy Docherty and Frank O'Farrell. Interesting they tried the continuity approach too with Wilf McGuinness to start with but it never worked. The spectre of Busby was too strong. I think Docherty was able to really break that but he got the sack for non-football reasons. Then they had Sexton and Atkinson, both for several seasons before they went for Ferguson whose second season was nearly a complete disaster until they scratched a 1-0 win in the cup.

I think the board really had to give him time because they had just bankrolled him a fortune to sign Webb, Phelan, Ince and Pallister on top of the earlier signings of Bruce, Viv Anderson, McClair and Leighton. There was no "patience" about it, this was the old owners and they just couldn't afford to sack him and start over again with another Atkinson or Docherty. Fergie was a lucky bu99er. But then he made the most of his good fortune. It's like Cloughie said, there are good managers and there are lucky managers but the best managers are good AND lucky. That's what we hope Jolley is.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 7
rancido
May 11, 2019, 1:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92

The cycle corresponds to the post Busby era doesn't it? A host of managers followed him, some very able ones like Tommy Docherty and Frank O'Farrell. Interesting they tried the continuity approach too with Wilf McGuinness to start with but it never worked. The spectre of Busby was too strong. I think Docherty was able to really break that but he got the sack for non-football reasons. Then they had Sexton and Atkinson, both for several seasons before they went for Ferguson whose second season was nearly a complete disaster until they scratched a 1-0 win in the cup.

I think the board really had to give him time because they had just bankrolled him a fortune to sign Webb, Phelan, Ince and Pallister on top of the earlier signings of Bruce, Viv Anderson, McClair and Leighton. There was no "patience" about it, this was the old owners and they just couldn't afford to sack him and start over again with another Atkinson or Docherty. Fergie was a lucky bu99er. But then he made the most of his good fortune. It's like Cloughie said, there are good managers and there are lucky managers but the best managers are good AND lucky. That's what we hope Jolley is.

Who was the Manure manager who got them relegated around that time?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
FishOutOfWater
May 11, 2019, 5:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from rancido

Who was the Manure manager who got them relegated around that time?

According to Soccerbase it was Tommy Docherty

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=1724&teamTabs=managers

I don't recall him being in charge overseeing them being relegated.... I do remember the Dennis Law back-heel though  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 7
topuphere666
May 11, 2019, 6:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Can’t believe I’ve read that Ferguson was fortunate. I couldn’t give a excrement for the prem or the so called top clubs but in my lifetime Ferguson has been the best manager by a country mile and if I’m honest I don’t think I’ll ever see his feats be beaten whilst I’m breathing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
KingstonMariner
May 11, 2019, 11:19pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

Whether it was genuine patience or something else, he wouldn't have made 3 seasons like his first 3 nowadays.

But then he's created the expectation that Manu will be challenging for the top spot after 24(?) years of not winning the League.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.