Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New stadium...political will?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 258 Guests

New stadium...political will?

This thread currently has 5,361 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
May 4, 2019, 10:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Mr Fenty stated a couple of months back that there needed to be political will from NE Lincs Council to build a stadium on Freemo.

On the basis that he’s part of the ruling group as of yesterday, (and allegedly going to be Deputy Leader), does that make the political will more likely?
Private Message
KingstonMariner
May 4, 2019, 10:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I expect we won't hear another word. He's lost another convenient excuse now.

Quite simply, there isn't enough money, there never has been and there never has been a business case, with the possible exception of Great Coates when it was first rejected by the council.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 27
HertsGTFC
May 4, 2019, 10:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,876
Gold Stars: 227
Nope, as nobody can say where the money “WILL” come from to build the thing.

Also worth noting teams 17th in league 2 don’t tend to have the finances to build new stadiums especially when they have a despot at the helm ☹️

No spade will be “dug into turf” this decade or the next IMHO.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 27
Vance Warner
May 4, 2019, 10:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,775
Gold Stars: 100
Depends if he has more to gain by building it on PP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 27
Nelly GTFC
May 4, 2019, 11:05pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,724
Gold Stars: 30
If I was the club, I would invite a few different Councillors each week down to Blundell Park as guests next season. I bet there's quite a few that have never been and experienced a game before.  I doubt the likes of Ian Barfield would accept, maybe a few more will actually realise how much it means to people of Grimsby and the surrounding area, that nothing else in North East Lincolnshire brings so many people together in one place at any time of the year except for maybe Armed Forces Day.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 27
KingstonMariner
May 4, 2019, 11:07pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Vance Warner
Depends if he has more to gain by building it on PP

Still doesn't explain where the club would get the money from. There's no way any developer is going to make an extra £20m in profit from that site which it will give to the club. So the club would still be in hock for several million. Unless someone can show realistic projections of the extra revenue it will make (rather than vague statements about 'conferencing', or 'community facilities') it's just a pipedream. If the person proposing this scheme in the first place had ever shown an ounce of vision, and delivered on it, in running the club, it might have a bit of credibility.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 27
Maringer
May 4, 2019, 11:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,404
Gold Stars: 184
I don't think political will could do anything to bring us a new stadium, regardless of the party involved. We (both the club and the town), don't have a pot to urine in and wishful thinking isn't going to cut it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 27
Mariner_09
May 4, 2019, 11:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
The only way I can see it happening is if I (or anyone other Town fan as stupid as me) win the Euromillions when it’s the £180m jackpot and give practically all of it to the club to build a new stadium. That’s the facts I fear.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 27
FishOutOfWater
May 5, 2019, 12:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Mariner_09
The only way I can see it happening is if I (or anyone other Town fan as stupid as me) win the Euromillions when it’s the £180m jackpot and give practically all of it to the club to build a new stadium. That’s the facts I fear.

If I won £180 million I'd be straight on it that's for sure!  

Chance would be a fine thing  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 27
moosey_club
May 5, 2019, 1:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,202
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
If I was the club, I would invite a few different Councillors each week down to Blundell Park as guests next season. I bet there's quite a few that have never been and experienced a game before.  I doubt the likes of Ian Barfield would accept, maybe a few more will actually realise how much it means to people of Grimsby and the surrounding area, that nothing else in North East Lincolnshire brings so many people together in one place at any time of the year except for maybe Armed Forces Day.

4000 there today......hardly a resounding  voice of Gy/Clee or even NE Lincs.

probabaly about 2% of the electorate (?) .....hardly worth a politicians time and effort unfortunately.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 27
Gaffer58
May 5, 2019, 10:19am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from moosey_club

probabaly about 2% of the electorate (?) .....hardly worth a politicians time and effort unfortunately.

The gates show how football attendance has fallen since I first went, 1970, in those days it was roughly 8-10% of a town's population, now its less then 5. Yet up in the premiership nearly every game is a sell out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
KingstonMariner
May 5, 2019, 10:42am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

I don't know. If the figure of 27% bandied about on here for the local turnout, 2% is worth chasing.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 27
Bogtrotter
May 7, 2019, 7:35am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +199
Gold Stars: 8
[url]https://twitter.com/LincsFM/status/1125639536778911744?s=19[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
diehardmariner
May 7, 2019, 8:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,406
Gold Stars: 532
Preferred option is a great way of basically saying 'We acknowledge that there's an appetite for this within the local population....so we're going to sort of support it but sodomist off if you think we're going to commit to anything'.

If they actually wanted it at Freemo and believed it in they would say so quite categorically.  
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 27
Bogtrotter
May 7, 2019, 8:55am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +199
Gold Stars: 8
You are absolutely right, except it removes any possibility that Fenty can say Freemo isn't his preferred location, as the council is now made up of his party, and is a council he is apparently going to hold a senior position in. So it kind of suggests that if anything is going to happen, it will be there.

As you say, however, that doesn't mean anything will actually happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 27
1mickylyons
May 7, 2019, 12:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
I will say this as I live in Grimsby so hear what other folk say .I think a huge % of people living here want to see this development happen in Freemo specifically and many of those are non football fans fed up with the deteriation of that area?

I don`t know if it`s the right location commercially for the Football Club but it`s certainly right for OUR Town and the people of the Town. The Council sound like they are on board and going back 10 or so year`s the much maligned Councillor De Freitas (Lib Dem) stood on my doorstep and said he would back it down Freemo. Roy Oxby (Lab) said the same in the papers and now Conservatives saying the same. Just get on with it please FFS
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
monkeyboy
May 7, 2019, 4:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Freemo like Brexit. the public vote means intercourse all really, they just say yes its lovely but we dont like so sod off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
mimma
May 7, 2019, 5:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 78
It will come down to finance. If the money is right and it is affordable then it will be the right location. At the end of the day it has to be paid for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
TAGG
May 7, 2019, 8:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,965
Gold Stars: 123
Scunny can do it, Chesterfield can do it, Donny can do it even fookin York can do it https://www.yorkcityfootballclub.co.uk/club/community-stadium

but Grimsby Town cant do it.
Fookin embarrassing, no wonder were the tin pot of Lincolnshire.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 27
rancido
May 8, 2019, 11:59am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from TAGG
Scunny can do it, Chesterfield can do it, Donny can do it even fookin York can do it https://www.yorkcityfootballclub.co.uk/club/community-stadium

but Grimsby Town cant do it.
Fookin embarrassing, no wonder were the tin pot of Lincolnshire.

The link you supplied was for York City and if you read the details this is more down to York City Council than anything else. The new ground is for both the football club and rugby club. It also includes leisure facilities including a swimming pool. N.E Lincs Council already have these kind of facilities but have been very short-sighted in not including the recent replacement of the swimming pool in a community based complex that could have include a community stadium for GTFC. The main advantage that York Council seem to have is a forward thinking approach whereas NE Lincs is very backward or static at best.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
1mickylyons
May 8, 2019, 12:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from rancido

The link you supplied was for York City and if you read the details this is more down to York City Council than anything else. The new ground is for both the football club and rugby club. It also includes leisure facilities including a swimming pool. N.E Lincs Council already have these kind of facilities but have been very short-sighted in not including the recent replacement of the swimming pool in a community based complex that could have include a community stadium for GTFC. The main advantage that York Council seem to have is a forward thinking approach whereas NE Lincs is very backward or static at best.

Agree with that and in the event of a community stadium a swimming pool at the same location would be a major asset .The East Marsh is crying out for something like a leisure centre in that area it`s a pretty huge catchment area.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
rancido
May 8, 2019, 12:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Agree with that and in the event of a community stadium a swimming pool at the same location would be a major asset .The East Marsh is crying out for something like a leisure centre in that area it`s a pretty huge catchment area.

The problem is that I can't see any NE Lincs Council , in the foreseeable future,  building that kind of facility when we have two comparatively new and recently refurbished leisure centres plus a new swimming pool in the borough.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
golfer
May 8, 2019, 12:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
As I understand Grimsby council put THEMSELVES up for the best council in England-in my experience I think they have got one word wrong. Whatever party is in all they do is blame Central government for their own poor management of everything they try to do [expect red x's from Barralad]. Wherever the new stadium is situated it will be an excuse to put up Council Tax
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
Maringer
May 8, 2019, 12:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,404
Gold Stars: 184
And York City council will have bags of cash in comparison to us. It is one of the wealthiest cities in the country, and will be coining it in as one of the prime tourist destinations in the UK. The business rates they will be able to charge to the multitude of shops, pubs and restaurants will dwarf the amount that we can generate from our town centres.

All councils are having the funding from central government slashed. Places such as York can generate revenue to replace this relatively easily whereas we haven't got a chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
1mickylyons
May 8, 2019, 12:46pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from rancido

The problem is that I can't see any NE Lincs Council , in the foreseeable future,  building that kind of facility when we have two comparatively new and recently refurbished leisure centres plus a new swimming pool in the borough.

I think you are very probably correct and goodness klnows how they work these things out but neither leisure centre is anywhere near the East Marsh.As kids growing up we always went to Scartho Baths being easily the nearest yet still a fair old hike.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
rancido
May 8, 2019, 12:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I think you are very probably correct and goodness klnows how they work these things out but neither leisure centre is anywhere near the East Marsh.As kids growing up we always went to Scartho Baths being easily the nearest yet still a fair old hike.

The sad thing is that since I took any interest in local politics ( 50 years ago ) there seems to have been no long term objectives or plans produced by any of the councils, that have been followed up. Regardless of political bias every council seems to have done development " piecemeal " with no long term strategies.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
1mickylyons
May 8, 2019, 12:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
You have to look at what can evolve from a stadium being built . In the case of Scunny and more recently Derby I have visited the stadium`s when newly built with Town and when year`s later I have returned shops and eateries have sprung up all around the newly built ground. Scunny I think im right in saying were trying to relocate yet again because retail wanted the space and they could get top dollar?
Freshney Place was an award winning precinct 20 or so year`s ago and for the size of the Town it was a really good shopping centre . The thing it never had and what ultimately led to the start of it`s decline was a decent variety of food outlets for shoppers . Then as we know retail has taken a right hammering and everything seems to be going downhill on that front. However these things tend to move in cycles and yes at the minute the internet is king but I would argue a Freemo development is the right thing in the right place. The timing is key and I think retail is due a big fightback in the next few year`s and as discussed you add leisure to that people will naturally be attracted to the area. This is the classic case of build it and they WILL come.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
1mickylyons
May 8, 2019, 1:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from rancido

The sad thing is that since I took any interest in local politics ( 50 years ago ) there seems to have been no long term objectives or plans produced by any of the councils, that have been followed up. Regardless of political bias every council seems to have done development " piecemeal " with no long term strategies.

They are obsessed with building houses allover the place and sadly most of the building taking place is on the outskirts of the Town`s boundaries due to nobody wanting to live in the town centre.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New stadium...political will?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.