Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New stadium...political will?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 339 Guests

New stadium...political will?

This thread currently has 5,364 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
May 8, 2019, 12:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,382
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from rancido

The link you supplied was for York City and if you read the details this is more down to York City Council than anything else. The new ground is for both the football club and rugby club. It also includes leisure facilities including a swimming pool. N.E Lincs Council already have these kind of facilities but have been very short-sighted in not including the recent replacement of the swimming pool in a community based complex that could have include a community stadium for GTFC. The main advantage that York Council seem to have is a forward thinking approach whereas NE Lincs is very backward or static at best.

Agree with that and in the event of a community stadium a swimming pool at the same location would be a major asset .The East Marsh is crying out for something like a leisure centre in that area it`s a pretty huge catchment area.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
rancido
May 8, 2019, 12:17pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Agree with that and in the event of a community stadium a swimming pool at the same location would be a major asset .The East Marsh is crying out for something like a leisure centre in that area it`s a pretty huge catchment area.

The problem is that I can't see any NE Lincs Council , in the foreseeable future,  building that kind of facility when we have two comparatively new and recently refurbished leisure centres plus a new swimming pool in the borough.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
golfer
May 8, 2019, 12:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
As I understand Grimsby council put THEMSELVES up for the best council in England-in my experience I think they have got one word wrong. Whatever party is in all they do is blame Central government for their own poor management of everything they try to do [expect red x's from Barralad]. Wherever the new stadium is situated it will be an excuse to put up Council Tax
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
Maringer
May 8, 2019, 12:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
And York City council will have bags of cash in comparison to us. It is one of the wealthiest cities in the country, and will be coining it in as one of the prime tourist destinations in the UK. The business rates they will be able to charge to the multitude of shops, pubs and restaurants will dwarf the amount that we can generate from our town centres.

All councils are having the funding from central government slashed. Places such as York can generate revenue to replace this relatively easily whereas we haven't got a chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
1mickylyons
May 8, 2019, 12:46pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from rancido

The problem is that I can't see any NE Lincs Council , in the foreseeable future,  building that kind of facility when we have two comparatively new and recently refurbished leisure centres plus a new swimming pool in the borough.

I think you are very probably correct and goodness klnows how they work these things out but neither leisure centre is anywhere near the East Marsh.As kids growing up we always went to Scartho Baths being easily the nearest yet still a fair old hike.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
rancido
May 8, 2019, 12:51pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I think you are very probably correct and goodness klnows how they work these things out but neither leisure centre is anywhere near the East Marsh.As kids growing up we always went to Scartho Baths being easily the nearest yet still a fair old hike.

The sad thing is that since I took any interest in local politics ( 50 years ago ) there seems to have been no long term objectives or plans produced by any of the councils, that have been followed up. Regardless of political bias every council seems to have done development " piecemeal " with no long term strategies.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
1mickylyons
May 8, 2019, 12:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
You have to look at what can evolve from a stadium being built . In the case of Scunny and more recently Derby I have visited the stadium`s when newly built with Town and when year`s later I have returned shops and eateries have sprung up all around the newly built ground. Scunny I think im right in saying were trying to relocate yet again because retail wanted the space and they could get top dollar?
Freshney Place was an award winning precinct 20 or so year`s ago and for the size of the Town it was a really good shopping centre . The thing it never had and what ultimately led to the start of it`s decline was a decent variety of food outlets for shoppers . Then as we know retail has taken a right hammering and everything seems to be going downhill on that front. However these things tend to move in cycles and yes at the minute the internet is king but I would argue a Freemo development is the right thing in the right place. The timing is key and I think retail is due a big fightback in the next few year`s and as discussed you add leisure to that people will naturally be attracted to the area. This is the classic case of build it and they WILL come.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
1mickylyons
May 8, 2019, 1:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from rancido

The sad thing is that since I took any interest in local politics ( 50 years ago ) there seems to have been no long term objectives or plans produced by any of the councils, that have been followed up. Regardless of political bias every council seems to have done development " piecemeal " with no long term strategies.

They are obsessed with building houses allover the place and sadly most of the building taking place is on the outskirts of the Town`s boundaries due to nobody wanting to live in the town centre.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New stadium...political will?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.