Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New stadium...political will?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 373 Guests

New stadium...political will?

This thread currently has 5,327 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
May 4, 2019, 10:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,882
Gold Stars: 230
Mr Fenty stated a couple of months back that there needed to be political will from NE Lincs Council to build a stadium on Freemo.

On the basis that he’s part of the ruling group as of yesterday, (and allegedly going to be Deputy Leader), does that make the political will more likely?
Private Message
KingstonMariner
May 4, 2019, 10:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I expect we won't hear another word. He's lost another convenient excuse now.

Quite simply, there isn't enough money, there never has been and there never has been a business case, with the possible exception of Great Coates when it was first rejected by the council.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 27
HertsGTFC
May 4, 2019, 10:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Nope, as nobody can say where the money “WILL” come from to build the thing.

Also worth noting teams 17th in league 2 don’t tend to have the finances to build new stadiums especially when they have a despot at the helm ☹️

No spade will be “dug into turf” this decade or the next IMHO.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 27
Vance Warner
May 4, 2019, 10:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Depends if he has more to gain by building it on PP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 27
Nelly GTFC
May 4, 2019, 11:05pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +24 / -6
Approval: +2,694
Gold Stars: 30
If I was the club, I would invite a few different Councillors each week down to Blundell Park as guests next season. I bet there's quite a few that have never been and experienced a game before.  I doubt the likes of Ian Barfield would accept, maybe a few more will actually realise how much it means to people of Grimsby and the surrounding area, that nothing else in North East Lincolnshire brings so many people together in one place at any time of the year except for maybe Armed Forces Day.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 27
KingstonMariner
May 4, 2019, 11:07pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Vance Warner
Depends if he has more to gain by building it on PP

Still doesn't explain where the club would get the money from. There's no way any developer is going to make an extra £20m in profit from that site which it will give to the club. So the club would still be in hock for several million. Unless someone can show realistic projections of the extra revenue it will make (rather than vague statements about 'conferencing', or 'community facilities') it's just a pipedream. If the person proposing this scheme in the first place had ever shown an ounce of vision, and delivered on it, in running the club, it might have a bit of credibility.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 27
Maringer
May 4, 2019, 11:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I don't think political will could do anything to bring us a new stadium, regardless of the party involved. We (both the club and the town), don't have a pot to urine in and wishful thinking isn't going to cut it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 27
Mariner_09
May 4, 2019, 11:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
The only way I can see it happening is if I (or anyone other Town fan as stupid as me) win the Euromillions when it’s the £180m jackpot and give practically all of it to the club to build a new stadium. That’s the facts I fear.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 27
FishOutOfWater
May 5, 2019, 12:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Mariner_09
The only way I can see it happening is if I (or anyone other Town fan as stupid as me) win the Euromillions when it’s the £180m jackpot and give practically all of it to the club to build a new stadium. That’s the facts I fear.

If I won £180 million I'd be straight on it that's for sure!  

Chance would be a fine thing  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 27
moosey_club
May 5, 2019, 1:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
If I was the club, I would invite a few different Councillors each week down to Blundell Park as guests next season. I bet there's quite a few that have never been and experienced a game before.  I doubt the likes of Ian Barfield would accept, maybe a few more will actually realise how much it means to people of Grimsby and the surrounding area, that nothing else in North East Lincolnshire brings so many people together in one place at any time of the year except for maybe Armed Forces Day.

4000 there today......hardly a resounding  voice of Gy/Clee or even NE Lincs.

probabaly about 2% of the electorate (?) .....hardly worth a politicians time and effort unfortunately.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New stadium...political will?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.